Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 10-10-2016, 03:53 PM   #31
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Bio-tech related Quirks and Perks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Perk: Immunity to simple illusions. You are immune to most typical tricks that produce incorrect interpretation of sensory data. Shepard–Risset glissando? Doesn't fool you. Spinning dancer? You don't get locked into having to stick to any one of the three possible interpretations (left, right, and a blob of ink) at any given point.

Usually meant to accompany templates with improved Perception, or Acute Senses that actually represent improved processing of sensory information (as opposed to the normally assumed improved sensory organs).
Building up such accuracy of perception without the MOUNDS of short cuts to processing sounds like it would require enormously increased computing power for very little gain.
Rules wise it would be just a perk or resistance to memetics, but for realism's sake should come with some drawbacks, in my opinion. Since it wouldn't really have much game effect, I suppose it wouldn't really matter to most players and GM though.

I think there were some studies showing that schizophrenics are less prone to seeing such illusions, even when not obviously ill making it an odd simple initial test. Of course that's likely from a failure of proper short cut processing, but there you go.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:34 AM   #32
Keiko
Banned

Appearance is an pretty broad area to play with in this regard. Enhancements and modifications could produce any number of relatively minor changes that could be a little off putting to other human beings, maybe not even consciously. Even slight changes might push someone's appearace into the “uncanny valley” even if just only a little. Alterations that effect the size and position of the eyes, body symmetry and proportion would be the most likely cause of effects like as they're some of the primal factors that humans use to gauge appearance not based on culture or fads. Smell could be another trigger or even touch like an unusually warm and cold temp.

With the eccentric and variable setting though it might take more to phase a really cosmopolitan citizen of 2100. But on some level such reactions are instinctive and reflexive so slight feelings of being disturbed or “strangeness” aren't out of line especially for newer or rarer modifications.

Some that filter their their perceptions via AR, Memetic defenses, etc to a high degree may have stronger reactions if forced to confront things they normally don't see. So might people from more isolated or less developed regions of the world. Such characters might have a Quirk or even a full blown Intolerance to reflect that.
Keiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 01:11 PM   #33
Astromancer

I knew a guy with diamond shaped pupils. Yes, the pupils of his eyes were diamond shaped. Now that would make an interesting Quirk.

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 01:03 PM   #34
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
I knew a guy with diamond shaped pupils. Yes, the pupils of his eyes were diamond shaped. Now that would make an interesting Quirk.
That's sounds pretty cool looking to tell the truth. :)
Old 10-22-2016, 01:09 PM   #35
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keiko View Post
It was otherworldly. I only asked him about it once, because it made him very sad to talk about it. The odd shape came from a genetic disease of some sort.

Ancora Imparo
Old 10-22-2016, 01:16 PM   #36
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
It was otherworldly. I only asked him about it once, because it made him very sad to talk about it. The odd shape came from a genetic disease of some sort.
Imagine if he was female, and bullied with that song, Lucy.

My best friend's legally blind, and has keyhole shaped pupils. For those that normally look people in the eye, hers would probably be a bit disturbing.
She was born with a few seemingly unrelated physical problems, but that's the most obvious one.

We also all know about David Bowie's one permanently dilated eye, right? Even though there are some odd myths about his condition.
Old 10-22-2016, 01:20 PM   #37
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Human eyes are high quality precision organs. Anything cool looking means something sub-optimal for vision at best.
Old 10-22-2016, 04:53 PM   #38
Keiko
Banned

Quote:
Changes to the eyes are usually pretty striking. I can imagine many having them done in THS for cosmetic effect.
Old 10-22-2016, 05:06 PM   #39
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Changes to the eyes are usually pretty striking. I can imagine many having them done in THS for cosmetic effect.
Blue eyes only originated around 9k years ago, but must have been quite popular to have spread so far in such a relatively short time period... as far as slightly detrimental genes go at least.

We know that a few people have tattooed their sclerae black. Besides the OUCH!?! factor, it goes to show how striking "simple" color changes to facial features can be.
Old 11-17-2016, 05:06 PM   #40
Astromancer

Thinking about biotech related Quirks and Perks.

Having a Basso Profundo voice like Barry White is a Perk for a guy. For women it would be a quirk or worse.

Ancora Imparo