Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2018, 01:04 PM   #31
Anthony

Default Re: [Basic] Skill of the week: Esoteric Medicine

The big problem with effective esoteric medicine is that you have to define why it's not just Physician. In GURPS, that's usually because it can treat supernatural ailments, which is why I like specializations by power source.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:22 PM   #32
Flyndaran
Untagged

It's like the old joke: What do you call alternative medicine that works? Medicine.
If it works and is even somewhat predictable, then it can be studied like any "mundane" skill. The only way to separate them other than by specializations is if their use require advantages or traits that not everyone has like magery.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #33
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
The big problem with effective esoteric medicine is that you have to define why it's not just Physician. [...]
That's an odd phrasing of a question. Same reason why massage is not Surgery, so to speak: both have some uses, and one is certainly more 'flashy' in its usefulness than the other, but one does not substitute for another.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:02 PM   #34
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
That's an odd phrasing of a question.
No, it really isn't. Two skills that do the same thing are the same skill, and most claimed benefits of esoteric medicine are firmly in scope for conventional medicine (though conventional medicine may not claim to have effective treatments); if it actually works, it's just Physician (or a related skill) via an alternate tech path.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:43 PM   #35
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
That's an odd phrasing of a question. Same reason why massage is not Surgery, so to speak: both have some uses, and one is certainly more 'flashy' in its usefulness than the other, but one does not substitute for another.
Massage is a comfort skill. A better comparison would be rehabilitation physical therapists which are medically trained professionals.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:00 PM   #36
Icelander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Massage is a comfort skill. A better comparison would be rehabilitation physical therapists which are medically trained professionals.
Massage therapy seems to fit under Esoteric Medicine and would have some minor benefits in treating certain types of injury or muscle pains.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #37
malloyd

Quote:
It's like the old joke: What do you call alternative medicine that works? Medicine.
If it works and is even somewhat predictable, then it can be studied like any "mundane" skill. The only way to separate them other than by specializations is if their use require advantages or traits that not everyone has like magery.
Well there are at least four separate "working" medical skills built around different approaches already - Physician, Pharmacy, Surgery and Veterinary - so having a fifth one isn't all that strange.

But in a lot of ways I think the issue is that we've got a special label - Physican - for Esoteric Medicine (Modern Western), or at least confuse the two a lot.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #38
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
Massage therapy seems to fit under Esoteric Medicine and would have some minor benefits in treating certain types of injury or muscle pains.
Massage therapy, to the degree it does anything, fits under Physician (specifically, physical therapy. GURPS can be odd about what it requires specializations for, having mandatory specialization for esoteric medicine and no specialization at all for physician is... silly).
Quote:
Originally Posted by malloyd View Post
But in a lot of ways I think the issue is that we've got a special label - Physican - for Esoteric Medicine (Modern Western), or at least confuse the two a lot.
It's not 'esoteric' if it's the standard that is taught (this thread is mostly convincing me that 'esoteric medicine' shouldn't exist at all, the useful stuff is physician at a different or alternate TL, the useless stuff is an expert skill).

For certain skills there's an argument for 'technical language' advantages, specializations, or perks, where two people are actually doing the same thing but have different ways of describing what they're doing.

Last edited by Anthony; 03-06-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 05:53 PM   #39
malloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's not 'esoteric' if it's the standard that is taught
So if your campaign is set in 19th century China...?
Old 03-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #40
jason taylor

Quote:
Some of those things have really effective stuff mixed in with what is obviously ritual magic. Not everything I am thinking of comes to mind right away, though boiling water to drive away evil is an example(it is even, almost a scientific description of what happens but of course Mongol Shamans use different words).

I think I can remember vaguely reading stuff about the Appalachians that is a mixture of scientifically unquestionable methods with stuff that was chanting jingles or whatever.

Herb lore is sometimes like that. Some herbs are genuinely helpful, some are at best a placebo and the way they are administered often adds nothing special to their effectiveness.

A good way to separate it, is if a wise woman picks a piece of Goodlywort in the forest and boils a soup out of it, it is esoteric medicine. If it is distilled in some chemistry shop until the stuff that causes the effect desired it is conventional medicine.

Tags
basic, esoteric medicine, skill of the week