Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-19-2015, 06:54 PM   #1
Koningkrush

Default How to Stop Constant Jumping

Am I missing something when a person could just constantly do a Broad Jump at the end of any movement he makes just to get extra movement each turn?
Is there any drawback to this? For example, someone could just do a Flying Attack and practically extend his movement into the next turn to attack someone from far away.

The only way it makes sense is if I reduce the move of his next turn, if any, by the distance he jumped while also making it impossible to retreat. It just irks me sometimes when maneuvers tend to break the 1 second time frame for turns.
Koningkrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #2
Bruno

Default Re: How to Stop Constant Jumping

The part where you have to make DX rolls for doing various jumping attacks or fall on your face is a big one. In the real world, you also eventually fail your jumping check and fall over (slam into a wall, or whatever) or even sprain an ankle. You only get perfect conditions at a track and field meet.

The GM is also well within rights to charge fatigue over a timescale of 1/hour or 1/minute or even tighter time periods where 1/second isn't appropriate.

There's also rule Zero, where you roll your eyes at the player and say "Really? What is this, Quake? Get serious Bob."
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:01 PM   #3
Koningkrush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
There's also rule Zero, where you roll your eyes at the player and say "Really? What is this, Quake? Get serious Bob."
Lol that's a great rule.

Realistically though, it seems like a Flying Attack would be a two turn move. The first part being the full movement and jump start, while the next turn being the actual jump and attack. If I saw someone full sprint and jumping at me, it seems like I would have a lot of time to move backwards or even run forward sliding underneath them.

Last edited by Koningkrush; 12-19-2015 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:07 PM   #4
Anaraxes

With the Flying Tackle, you end up prone and take slam damage. Not the best way to get 1 more hex of move, since you'll lose it next turn while standing up. But getting that one extra hex, once, in a clutch situation is, after all, the point of a Flying Tackle.

A regular Broad Jump takes two consecutive Concentrate Maneuvers to prep before the one Move, else distance is halved. Net distance covered will drop either way (unless you're in very low gravity). Also, you'll probably want to apply the "Jumping with Encumbrance" rules, if someone is silly enough to be trying to do this.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:20 PM   #5
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koningkrush View Post
Am I missing something when a person could just constantly do a Broad Jump at the end of any movement he makes just to get extra movement each turn?
s.
You do not gain speed while jumping. You still move at your Ground Move score while in mid-air unless you have enough Super Jump that 1/5th your Jump distance exceeds your Ground Move. Usually this will be 3 levels or more.

Also, be careful when doing the math. Jump distance is measured in feet while Move is in Yards.

There are Martial Arts maneuvers that will give you a little extra distance but spending skill pts on them is highly recommended before relying on them.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:45 PM   #6
Koningkrush

Flying Tackle makes sense because a person is becoming prone extending his body to gain extra reach. I could even see this in a race where someone throws his body forward to cross the line.

However, Flying Attack results in a relative teleport where someone not only moves his full BM but also finishes a whole jump. Speed is R*T=D. The time frame stays the same, but the distance increased by 1 to 3 yards at most, which means his speed suddenly increased. At best, this would make more sense as an Extra Effort attack like Heroic Charge.

Last edited by Koningkrush; 12-19-2015 at 07:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 08:17 PM   #7
Bruno

You do not teleport. You jump. Teleportation bypasses barriers and cannot be intercepted. Someone jumping can be impaled on a Stop Hit.

The jumping also requires a roll against Jumping skill, where a failure equals a fall and failed attack.

This is a risky maneuver that has all the drawbacks of a Move and Attack, PLUS an additional -1 to hit.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 09:42 PM   #8
Anthony

It is unclear whether jumping costs movement points. That's the easiest way to resolve this, as it means jumping doesn't increase your movement at all.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:55 PM   #9
Koningkrush

I think the best way to resolve it in a non-cinematic setting is to split it into two maneuvers. First being a regular move to set up the jump, while the second maneuver being the actual Move and Attack with the jump being the Movement part.

For anyone to actually do this beyond it just being for show, I think there would have to be some kind of benefit to outweigh the drawbacks of possibly failing a jump roll.

For one, all the negatives that come with this maneuver are almost identical to Committed attack (can't retreat, can't parry/block with attacking limb, etc.) but without the +2 to hit or the damage bonus. Considering you are taking a whole two maneuvers and putting yourself at considerable risk, I think it's reasonable to give both +2 to hit and the damage bonus.

Otherwise, I would count jumping distance for movement points. If you run out of movement points during a jump, then your turn ends with you in mid-air so you allow everyone to do what they would have done in that one second while you were jumping.

Last edited by Koningkrush; 12-19-2015 at 10:58 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 10:58 PM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koningkrush View Post
For anyone to actually do this beyond it just being for show, I think there would have to be some kind of benefit to outweigh the drawbacks of possibly failing a jump roll.
The benefit is bypassing the terrain in the hex you're jumping over. Absent such factors, in a non-cinematic setting you don't jump.

Tags
jumping