Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 08-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #1
guruzard

Default Helping and running

If I were to help someone, would I be able to run away by myself or would we both have to agree to run away?
guruzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 12:54 AM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Helping and running

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruzard View Post
If I were to help someone, would I be able to run away by myself or would we both have to agree to run away?
You can only run away when you are losing, at which point both Munchkins must try to run.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The rules page 3
or if somebody tries to help, and
your fellow party members interfere so the two of you still
cannot defeat it . . . you must run away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibid
If two players are cooperating and still can’t defeat the
monster(s), they must both flee. They roll separately. The
monster(s) CAN catch them both.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 08-20-2012 at 12:59 AM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
Clipper

And it is the combat owner that makes the decision when to give up and run. You can try to talk him out of it, but he is the one that controls the battle.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
And it is the combat owner that makes the decision when to give up and run. You can try to talk him out of it, but he is the one that controls the battle.
Not really. If you are losing and a reasonable time has passed for players to play cards that will change that you have to run whether you want to or not.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:35 AM   #5
Clipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Not really. If you are losing and a reasonable time has passed for players to play cards that will change that you have to run whether you want to or not.
Yes, eventually the combat owner may be forced to give up, but what I mean is the Helper cannot make that decision.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper View Post
Yes, eventually the combat owner may be forced to give up, but what I mean is the Helper cannot make that decision.
It's not really a decision though. There are really only two states in combat: winning or losing. If you are winning and a reasonable time passes, you win. If you are losing and a reasonable time passes, you must run. You can't just sit there and say, "I'm not ready to run away yet" for several minutes when the rest of the table has declared that you are losing. Neither can you pick up the die to run away before you give people a chance to play cards that would result in you winning or facing worse bad stuff or whatever.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:26 AM   #7
Clipper

There is a choice while you are deciding whether you want to play good cards now or just run and keep them for the next combat. The owner thus can choose to Run Away from the battle at any stage he is losing, while the helper can only suggest it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Neither can you pick up the die to run away before you give people a chance to play cards that would result in you winning or facing worse bad stuff or whatever.
You actually can do that. There is no need to give reasonable time when choosing to Run Away. Let's take this to a thread in the main forum if you want to argue it further, though as it has little to do with the original question.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:40 AM   #8
MunchkinMan

There's no point in arguing further, because I'm certain that Andrew and I have established in the other forum that it is the main player who decides when to give up and Run Away. You can argue all you want that there is no decision to make, but there is.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
UncleBob

Please don't take this as an "argument", but the owner of the combat cannot stop the helper from playing cards that effect the combat, correct?
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 06:52 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

Yes. The "owner" of the combat can decide who helps, and decides when it's time to give up and Run Away, but he cannot force his helper to play, or prevent his helper from playing, cards that help or hinder the combat. Being a helper at no point erases one's free will completely. If, as a helper, one wants to play a card that affects the combat, he may, regardless of what that effect may be.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
helper, run away