Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-30-2020, 09:00 AM   #41
dataweaver

Default Re: Call for Playtesters: GURPS Furries

Yes, please do. Totems and Nature Spirits definitely covers related but different ground.

As a more general question, how long does SJG leave a Call for Playtesters open? And how long after the call is sent out does a playtest typically start?
Old 06-30-2020, 09:14 AM   #42
LoneWolf23k

Honestly, I don't see the point in a name change. GURPS Furries will appeal to the furry/anthro crowd quite well, and those who would get "turned off" by the title are usually the kind who don't have an interest in Furry RPG campaigns to begin with.

I'm curious about joining the Playtest (and will definitely buy this book the moment it's released), but I don't know if my usual gaming group will be interested.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #43
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataweaver View Post
As a more general question, how long does SJG leave a Call for Playtesters open? And how long after the call is sent out does a playtest typically start?
I don't know if there's a rule. I'm giving it a couple of extra days in case anyone else might want to apply, but I expect to make a decision soon. The announced start date was 10 July, and I don't know that we're even thinking about moving it closer.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 10:00 AM   #44
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneWolf23k View Post
Honestly, I don't see the point in a name change. GURPS Furries will appeal to the furry/anthro crowd quite well, and those who would get "turned off" by the title are usually the kind who don't have an interest in Furry RPG campaigns to begin with.

I'm curious about joining the Playtest (and will definitely buy this book the moment it's released), but I don't know if my usual gaming group will be interested.
The Tabaxi, Vargr, and Cidi are all furries. Furries show up a lot in settings that aren't furry settings. In fact one of the things I did in one fantasy game I toyed with after Biotech came out was to toy with the idea of a stereotypical Dark Lord using biotech magic to uplift wolves as a replacement for orcs.

Last edited by David Johnston2; 06-30-2020 at 03:17 PM.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 01:37 PM   #45
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Secondarily, "animalfolk" might invite the supposition that this book is about otherkin. And that's certainly not the case. We have GURPS Powers: Totems and Nature Spirits for that. (Hmmm, got to add a cross-reference to that book!)
Agreed, GURPS Furries is probably a good enough descriptor that those into the genre as books or animated media will get most of it. Though I dont think of Bugs as a furry its probably because I grew up on those cartoons and think of them ass Toons. I do think of Thundercats, Albedo, Zootopia as furries though.
As for those who dress up in real life I dont seem them minding either and I hope some will be lured into GURPS by the title. Depending on the content I expect to circulate it among my furrie friends.
Also good point on Anthrophormic being a bad fit from a literal and accuracy point, already knew it was a bad fit marketing wise.
Finally, thanks for the call out to GURPS Totem and Nature spirits, to date I think it has the most animal powered templates in GURPS and a lot of that material should be useful for prebuilt abilities and inspiration- some tweaking likely required.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #46
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

At this point, let's please drop discussions of the title. We discussed the title to death internally and concluded that we can take it as read that:
  • "Furries" is far easier to say, write, read, and lay out on a page than "anthropomorphics" (which should by rights be "anthropomorphic animals," which is even more unwieldy).

• "Furry" and "furries" were being used to refer to anthropomorphic animals at least three years before becoming shorthand for "furry fandom" (fans of said characters), of which the people in fursuits are only a subset, of whom those who fetishize fursuits are an even smaller subset.

• No gamer is really, truly not going to "get it" unless being disingenuous.
Disputing any of that veers into "Ackchyually . . ." territory, so we can just let it go. Thanks in advance!
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #47
lvalero

I have Jadeclaw campaign setting and, although I have never convinced my group to play it, I have always thought it was very nice. I think furry territorry has not been very explored and there are lots of good histories waiting to be told. A "furry" fantasy setting, furry fantasy martial arts, furry super or furry urban fantasy.

Even there are some settings where some "furriness" can be added without much difficulty. In a fantasy setting dog/wolf folk or cat folk or fox folk can be added. In a "dragon ball" world exists some furry people also.

I probably buy the book as soon as it is launched.
Old 07-01-2020, 08:26 AM   #48
whswhs

At this point we have enough applicants so that we could choose a list and get things started, and applications have been tapering off. If you want to take part, but haven't applied yet, you should do so today, 1 July; we'll still consider applications that come in today, but after that, we'll want a really convincing application to add you. At this point about half the applicants are fairly new to playtesting, so don't hesitate if it's just that you haven't done it before; that's not a deal-breaker.

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2020, 10:40 AM   #49
Pragmatic
Ceci n'est pas une tag.

I'm going to buy it, obviously.

Just wondering if it will cover animal uplifts well?
Old 07-01-2020, 12:14 PM   #50
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pragmatic View Post
Just wondering if it will cover animal uplifts well?
They'll be discussed, but they won't be the main focus.

Tags
furries, playtest