Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-25-2020, 02:28 PM   #21
Varyon

Default Re: Call for Playtesters: GURPS Furries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
IMHO "Anthropomorphics" might have been better, though it could have caused people to think it was about anthropomorphic personifications (e.g. Death from Discworld) rather than anthropomorphic animals.
It's a bit of a mouthful, and I think anyone who makes the appropriate association between "anthropomorphics" and "human-like animal characters" is probably going to make the association between "furries" and the same at least as readily. Honestly, the only misconception I can see happening with the current title is someone thinking it's a book about Furry Fans, and I don't think it's much of a stretch to assume most people who would a) make this mistake and b) would have an interest in the actual book will quickly realize that making an entire rulebook about such folks doesn't make any sense (as already noted).
Old 06-25-2020, 02:34 PM   #22
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thayne View Post
IMHO "Anthropomorphics" might have been better, though it could have caused people to think it was about anthropomorphic personifications (e.g. Death from Discworld) rather than anthropomorphic animals.
Kromm has already explained that the title went through a lot of internal discussion and Furries was considered the best title to describe the content in a way understandable to the most people. If that title is a deal breaker for anyone, I'd suggest not applying for the playtest, because the title is exceedingly unlikely to change at this very late date. Regardless, though, we can consider it a dead issue here.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #23
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
(1) I have met people in that subculture. They're part of the target market for this book, in the same way that otherkin who think they are really elves are part of the target market for GURPS Fantasy.
When I went to college, I met a young woman who claimed she was half sky elf from her father's side. I never did find out what she claimed a sky elf was. But then again, my nickname then was "Spock," I wore a stocking cap everywhere, and had people convinced I had pointed ears....
Alden Loveshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 07:21 PM   #24
Alden Loveshade

Just adding my voice to the chorus. But when I saw GURPS Furries, I knew immediately what the book would be about. While it could be argued whether GURPS Anthros or GURPS Anthropomorphics are or are not technically more accurate, my first reaction would likely have been "what on Earth is that?"
Old 06-25-2020, 08:16 PM   #25
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
Just adding my voice to the chorus. But when I saw GURPS Furries, I knew immediately what the book would be about. While it could be argued whether GURPS Anthros or GURPS Anthropomorphics are or are not technically more accurate, my first reaction would likely have been "what on Earth is that?"
I must say that I would resist calling it GURPS Anthros; seeing the Greek root mutilated like that is painful.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 09:25 PM   #26
Alden Loveshade

Just because I can't resist looking things up and then spreading it around, here's a reference to "furry" going back to 1994:

'(Jefferson) Swycaffer’s (1994) article is itself in two parts. He first defines ‘Furry Fandom’ as “the organised appreciation and dissemination of art and prose regarding ‘Furries,’ or fictional mammalian anthropomorphic characters.”'

http://www.anthrozine.com/site/lbry/yarf.reviews.b.html
Old 06-25-2020, 10:04 PM   #27
pestigor

I saw this post and immediately thought of the game Albedo from the 80's and thought "Except it's Gurps so it'll be more than sci-fi..."
I personally would love to run a game based on Rock & Rule but I'm a nostalgic nerd.

Last edited by pestigor; 06-25-2020 at 10:08 PM.
pestigor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 11:28 PM   #28
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

As someone who never has heard the term "furry" used for anything other than people who wear animal costumes, I had no problem figuring out what this book was going to be about.

But perhaps that was because Steven said "Familiarity with the GURPS Basic Set and with GURPS Template Toolkit 2: Races is vital for this process. Knowledge of anthropomorphic material in graphic novels, animation, art, and other media, and of its historical sources and inspirations, is also important. Templates will prioritize fidelity to this material over scientific accuracy, and general discussion also needs to be checked against it."

Or perhaps because I've allowed and created anthropomorphic races for my games for some time now.
Old 06-26-2020, 01:12 AM   #29
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alden Loveshade View Post
Just because I can't resist looking things up and then spreading it around, here's a reference to "furry" going back to 1994:

'(Jefferson) Swycaffer’s (1994) article is itself in two parts. He first defines ‘Furry Fandom’ as “the organised appreciation and dissemination of art and prose regarding ‘Furries,’ or fictional mammalian anthropomorphic characters.”'
Interesting to see you mention him! He and I have known each other for decades now; when I lived in San Diego he played in many of my campaigns, and had many arguments about politics—one year he and I agreed to meet for a pillow-fight after a particularly heated argument. Both of us were paying attention to furry material a decade before the article you refer to. . . .

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 10:36 AM   #30
Alden Loveshade

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Interesting to see you mention him! He and I have known each other for decades now; when I lived in San Diego he played in many of my campaigns, and had many arguments about politics—one year he and I agreed to meet for a pillow-fight after a particularly heated argument. Both of us were paying attention to furry material a decade before the article you refer to. . . .
Is this synchronicity, or do I have Hidden Lore? (Actually, I had no idea of the connection).

I do think, though, that some political debates might be improved with a little pillow fighting....

Tags
furries, playtest