Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2013, 05:49 PM   #1
Lord Morpheus
 
Lord Morpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brazil
Default Power Stone Price

Please if some on cam help, I will be glad.

In the GURPS Magic, p.20, we find a equasion to calculate the cost of a powerstone.

The material cost is calculate like this:
(10xP˛)+(40xP) | Where P is the powrstone capacity of the powerstone.

The labor cost is 20xP

Ai meke the calculations for every stone in the table, and just the first one is correct. The other ar wrong, at start with a small diference, as de2 pt Powerstone, the cost in the book is 165, but if we use the formulas we find 160. Until the 6x more expensive in the last on (100), the cost in the book is 675.000, and if we use the formula that results in 106.000.

Just tu make a exemple, lats get de 50 Energy point stone.

Material
(10xP˛)+(40xP)= $
(10x50˛)+(40x50)= $
(10x2500)+(2000)= $
(25000)+(2000)= $
$=27.000

Labor
20xP=$
20x50=$
$=1000

Material+Labor=
27.000+1000=28.000

Total 28.000 => cost in the book 69.5000!

Do someone knows what happens? Am I doing something wrong?
__________________
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY
Lord Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #2
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Power Stone Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Morpheus View Post
Do someone knows what happens? Am I doing something wrong?
You're missing "Powerstone prices account for this risk; hence, the true materials cost is divided by 53/54 to the power of P."
The actual cost of a 50 point stone is:
materials: (40 * 50 + 10 * 50 * 50) * (54/53)^50 = 68,745
labor: 20 * 50 = 1,000.
Total 69,745, which inexplicably got rounded to 69,500.

Note that the box on Magic 20 assumes that quirks don't influence the value of powerstones, which is unrealistic, and ignores some more complex math for the actual number of castings required to produce a powerstone.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Lord Morpheus
 
Lord Morpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brazil
Default Re: Power Stone Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
You're missing "Powerstone prices account for this risk; hence, the true materials cost is divided by 53/54 to the power of P."
The actual cost of a 50 point stone is:
materials: (40 * 50 + 10 * 50 * 50) * (54/53)^50 = 68,745
labor: 20 * 50 = 1,000.
Total 69,745, which inexplicably got rounded to 69,500.

Note that the box on Magic 20 assumes that quirks don't influence the value of powerstones, which is unrealistic, and ignores some more complex math for the actual number of castings required to produce a powerstone.
Thanks I was hopping someone will get this in the discussion. I really don't understand this part of the math. (54/53)^50
What is the calculation here. Can you make this step by step?
Thanks again (my math abilities are a disgrace)
__________________
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY
Lord Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Power Stone Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Morpheus View Post
Thanks I was hopping someone will get this in the discussion. I really don't understand this part of the math. (54/53)^50
What is the calculation here. Can you make this step by step?
Thanks again (my math abilities are a disgrace)
There is a 4/216 (1/54) chance per try to blow up the power stone, meaning there's a 53/54 chance per try to survive the attempt; 50 tries means (53/54)^50 chance of survival (because a failed roll doesn't add a mana point, it should actually be 206/210 ^ 50). Thus, you need to adjust the cost for the chance of blowing up your stone.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #5
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Power Stone Price

I don't like Magic's assumption that every one of the inexplicably common enchanters has over 20 skill with whatever they're enchanting.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #6
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Power Stone Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I don't like Magic's assumption that every one of the inexplicably common enchanters has over 20 skill with whatever they're enchanting.
It's irrelevant to powerstones; you only need a skill 16 master.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Power Stone Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It's irrelevant to powerstones; you only need a skill 16 master.
But the price still includes basic craftsman's prices for essentially medical doctor level skill. You aren't going to hire a physician for a craft fair worker's salary.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:21 PM   #8
Anthony
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Berkeley, CA
Default Re: Power Stone Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
But the price still includes basic craftsman's prices for essentially medical doctor level skill. You aren't going to hire a physician for a craft fair worker's salary.
It still doesn't matter very much for powerstone enchantment, because powerstone costs are dominated by material costs.
Anthony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Forest Grove, Beaverton, Oregon
Default Re: Power Stone Price

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
It still doesn't matter very much for powerstone enchantment, because powerstone costs are dominated by material costs.
Scarcity of production is quite important to local price, unless the Gurps assumed magic setting is simply crawling with mages.
__________________
Beware, poor communication skills. No offense intended. If offended, it just means that I failed my writing skill check.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 07:52 AM   #10
Lord Morpheus
 
Lord Morpheus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Brazil
Default Re: Power Stone Price

I fill so stupid, I stile don't understand the math, I thin wiil be more easy creat a new enchantment system that understand this one...
__________________
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY
ALL WORK AND NO PLAY MAKES JACK A DULL BOY
Lord Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
magic, powerstones

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:34 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.