Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-17-2014, 03:13 PM   #81
Lia Valenth

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Sphere of Apparent Invulnerability
Spell Effects: Greater Control Crossroads + Greater Create Crossroads.
Inherent Modifiers: None
Greater Effects: 1 (×3).

This spell allows you to "guide" an ranged attack against you into a open wormhole which then spits it out harmlessly in another direction. Every time you are attacked, make a roll against (Path / 2 + 3). Success means you've "gated" the projectile away from you and you are unharmed. Failure means you didn't interpose the gate in time and critical failure results in the spell ending and you getting hit! For the purposes of a Active Defense this counts as a Dodge even though you are not actually moving. This spell cannot affect a projectile weighing more than 10 lbs.

Typical Casting: Greater Control Crossroads (5) + Greater Create Crossroads (6) + Duration, 10 minutes (1). 36 energy (12×3).
Minor note: should cost 60 energy (12 x 5)

This is interesting, actually I was originally trying to create something like Missile Shield from GURPS Magic, except not as overpowered (5 FP to be immune to all ranged attacks for 1 minute plus maintenance...) using portals instead of just turning them away (which I suppose would be easier).

I have to ask how multiple defenses in one turn work with this. According to the description it counts as a Dodge, so does it work at the -4 per attempt like parry or the infinite attempts at no penalty like Dodge?
Old 08-17-2014, 03:44 PM   #82
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lia Valenth View Post
Minor note: should cost 60 energy (12 x 5)

This is interesting, actually I was originally trying to create something like Missile Shield from GURPS Magic, except not as overpowered (5 FP to be immune to all ranged attacks for 1 minute plus maintenance...) using portals instead of just turning them away (which I suppose would be easier).

I have to ask how multiple defenses in one turn work with this. According to the description it counts as a Dodge, so does it work at the -4 per attempt like parry or the infinite attempts at no penalty like Dodge?
Yeah, I just copied your template in a hurry. Dodges take no penalty unless you use the optional rules from GURPS Martial Arts in which case it's -1 per Dodge after the first. Were I to use this in my campaign I'd use this rule for magical defenses. Also, remember you can't achieve true immunity to damage in Ritual Path magic because you can't do it with regular GURPS traits. To set "immunity to [X]," you as the GM need to decide what is the most damage dice a ranged attack is going to have. Then multiply the dice x 6. For a typical fantasy campaign where the arrow is king, this is probably 4d at most, so "DR 24 (Limited, Ranged, -20%) [96]" might be "Immunity to Ranged Attacks." See GURPS Powers, p. 118 for more information.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #83
Shieldbunny

Does this work as advertised? If not what am I missing?

Heart Burn

Greater Transform Body 8 + Greater Transform Energy 8 +
Range (10 yards) 4 + Weight (Up to 300 lbs.) 3 = 23 x 5(two Greaters used) = 115

This spell transforms the subject's heart into a ball of flame, having the obvious effects.
Shieldbunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 06:54 PM   #84
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldbunny View Post
Does this work as advertised? If not what am I missing?

Heart Burn

Greater Transform Body 8 + Greater Transform Energy 8 +
Range (10 yards) 4 + Weight (Up to 300 lbs.) 3 = 23 x 5(two Greaters used) = 115

This spell transforms the subject's heart into a ball of flame, having the obvious effects.
No, you can't just transform the subjects vitals willy-nilly like that. Even as written the subjects heart is now a ball of fire - nothing is gonna happen. If you are trying to damage the subject you'd need Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, Internal Burning (Selective Effect, +20%) (4/die) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs.

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 08-19-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:03 PM   #85
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shieldbunny View Post
He gets to make terrible puns about heartburn?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:46 AM   #86
Varyon

Quote:
No, you can't just transform the subjects vitals willy-nilly like that. Even as written the subjects heart is now a ball of fire - nothing is gonna happen. If you are trying to damage the subject you'd need Greater Create Energy (6) + Damage, Internal Burning (Selective Area, +20%) (4/die) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs.
I wouldn't have any sort of Selective Area - rather, I'd simply base the energy cost off of the x2 wounding modifier for Burning attacks to the Vitals - that is, I'd give it the same cost as Impaling damage. I suppose you could toss on some additional cost for causing excessive bleeding, although I'm not certain what would be fair there.

Cold Lamp
Spell Effects: Lesser Strengthen Energy + Lesser Transform Energy
Inherent Modifiers: None
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

This is often cast on a small item, typically a piece of quartz. Heating the item - typically by rubbing it between one's hands - above room temperature causes it to glow by shifting the wavelength of the light into the visible range and strengthening it. The brightness of the glow depends on how much the quartz was heated - simply holding it results in light comparable to a candle, rubbing it will produce light comparable to a torch or lantern, and heating it to body temperature (or higher) can result in a blindingly bright light. The ritual also makes the quartz retain heat more readily than it normally would. The quartz maintains this ability for about a week.

Typical Casting: Lesser Strengthen Energy (3) + Lesser Transform Energy (8) + Duration, 1 week (9) + Subject Weight, 10 lb (0). 20 energy (20x1).

This is based on the cold lamp crystals from the Noble Dead Saga book series (the metaphysics there aren't too terribly different from this version - in that Light is a manifestation of the Fire element, just like Heat, so converting one to the other isn't very hard). If someone would like to create a temperature-to-candela guide, they can feel free. Going off of Anthony's guidelines, the "hold it in your hand" method results in a 1 candela light source, the "rub vigorously" method results in a 20 candela light source (although the Noble Dead Saga is kind of a DF series, meaning something more like 100 candela - a light bulb - may be more appropriate), and the "hold it in your mouth for a bit" method results in a 2,000 or so candela light source.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 03:44 PM   #87
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
I wouldn't have any sort of Selective Area - rather, I'd simply base the energy cost off of the x2 wounding modifier for Burning attacks to the Vitals - that is, I'd give it the same cost as Impaling damage. I suppose you could toss on some additional cost for causing excessive bleeding, although I'm not certain what would be fair there.
Selective Effect is the canonical way to allow Maledictions to target specific hit locations. I try to answer as RAW as possible when others ask questions and if I can't or don't I always add "It's probably not RAW, but I'd do it like this..." or something similar.

Become a Patron!

Last edited by Christopher R. Rice; 08-19-2014 at 04:30 PM.
Old 08-19-2014, 04:25 PM   #88
PK

Quote:
Selective Area is the canonical way to allow Maledictions to target specific hit locations. I try to answer as RAW as possible when others ask questions and if I can't or don't I always add "It's probably not RAW, but I'd do it like this..." or something similar.
Well, close. Technically, it's Selective Effect that allows that, not Selective Area.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 04:31 PM   #89
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Well, close. Technically, it's Selective Effect that allows that, not Selective Area.
I've fixed my posts - I always get those two mixed up. I think it's because Selective Effect is hidden in Selective Area in GURPS Powers. Oh, well, right intention, half-right name.

Become a Patron!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #90
Varyon

Quote:
Selective Effect is the canonical way to allow Maledictions to target specific hit locations. I try to answer as RAW as possible when others ask questions and if I can't or don't I always add "It's probably not RAW, but I'd do it like this..." or something similar.
It would appear I've been thinking of how to handle hit locations with internal damage all wrong, then. Does this mean the final roll to cast the spell would take the hit location penalty, then? Or is it just a bonus to the foe's resistance roll? I'm most tempted to go for the latter, since failing at the final casting roll in RPM just means trying again in a few seconds. It also makes Quick-and-Dirty Rituals usable as-is, without modification, for when you want to make "Your Head Explodes" charms. In fact...

Skullburster
Spell Effects: Greater Destroy Body
Inherent Modifiers: Internal Damage, Crushing
Greater Effects: 1 (x3).

This spell requires the caster to touch the target and allows for an HT+3 roll to resist (modified by MoS on the casting, as usual). On a failure, it causes severe damage to the target's brain, often causing the target's head to explode messily. This is 5d cr to the Skull, ignoring any DR and injuring as normal for the Skull hit location (x4 WM).

Typical Casting: Greater Destroy Body (5) + Internal Damage, 5d Crushing (No Knockback -10%, Selective Effect +20%) (18) + Bestows a Penalty, Resistance to This Spell (Narrow) -4 (8) + Subject Weight, 300 lb (3). 102 energy (34x3).

I went with Crushing because exploiting the fact that Small Piercing has the same WM for half the price seemed too munchkinny for me - if you don't feel the same, replace cr (nkb) with pi-, which drops the added energy from damage to 12 and total spell energy to 84. Optionally, a character could purchase a Targeted Attack Technique, which could drop the HT roll to HT-1. Add Range for a ranged variant, or turn it into an ammunition charm to put a new meaning to the term "headshot." Adding in Area of Effect would be nasty. A similar spell using Greater Create Matter or Greater Create Energy would probably work as well.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology