Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-11-2016, 08:15 AM   #51
Emerald Cat

Default Re: [Sorcery] Those Other Spells...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rindis View Post
As I implied, I'm just going with 'lowest resistance is weaker'. Did you look over my first variant thought? It seems a decent way to keep things fast, and over time, it should be fair (though individual castings can go strange because of the dice). And I like it a lot better than All-or-Nothing's everyone or no one effect.
For an AoE affliction, this is a good way to simplify handling large areas. Rolling for every NPC would get tedious otherwise. Kind of like how I would only have a player roll for damage once for an explosive attack.

But players will get upset if they get knocked out without a resistance roll. Since rolling is distributed over multiple people, tedium is less of a problem. So I would only apply your rule to mook NPCs. Boss NPCs and NPCs that are alone in the AoE should still get a resistance roll.
Emerald Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2016, 11:24 AM   #52
Rindis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Cat View Post
But players will get upset if they get knocked out without a resistance roll. Since rolling is distributed over multiple people, tedium is less of a problem. So I would only apply your rule to mook NPCs. Boss NPCs and NPCs that are alone in the AoE should still get a resistance roll.
Yeah, that is a concern of mine. On the other hand, All-or-Nothing has the same effect on die rolling. :(

Other news:
I've just updated my introductory post for the system with a new "Under the Hood" section about spellbooks and spell levels. ...I leave it up to individual GMs.
http://www.rindis.com/blog/3649

And another spell question:
The Sorcery version of Light just uses Create to generate a lit area for a minute. One of the old abuses of the D&D version was to cast it on a monster's eyes, blinding him, which I don't think this allows. (Actually, I have trouble with the writeup in general; 'eliminate all darkness penalties in a 10-yard radius' and outside that? Is there anything at all?) Alternate Ability could work for the blinding, but that would mean there's no light generated (mechanically), and it should still be lighting up the room.
Old 09-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #53
Rindis

Today I posted the first of what may eventually become quite a few sets of spells for Dungeon Sorcery:
Dungeon Sorcery Spells 1

This features the final version of several spells who were initially pounded out here.

While I'm here, I'll preview a spell that'll probably be in the next batch to go up on my blog:

Chill Touch (C)
Necromancy, Somatic, Verbal, Resisted
67 points + 66 points/level
Casting Time: 1 second
Casting Roll: Innate Attack
Range: Touch
Duration: Instantaneous

This spell tries to drain some of the life force out of a creature. If the caster hits a living creature with a chill touch, it feels a chilling sensation and takes 1d-1 of damage (crushing, DR protects as normal, but there is no blunt trauma or knockback). Assuming the attack penetrates DR, the target makes an unmodified HT roll and loses 1 point of ST for a number of minutes equal to his MoF. Further successful attacks will drain more ST!

If chill touch is used on an undead creature, it takes no damage, but may gain a Dread of the caster (with an 11 yard range) as its link to the Negative Material Plane is disrupted. Do a quick contest of the caster’s Will+Talent vs the target’s HT, and the dread will last for MoS minutes.

This spell has no effect on inanimate objects, nor creatures animated by magical means (such as golems). Each level of the spell adds a -1 penalty to the HT of the target.

Innate Attack, 1d-1 (cr) (Accessibility: Living Creatures, -10%; Link, +10%; Melee Attack, C, 1, -20%; No Blunt Trauma, -20%, No Knockback, -10%; Requires Gestures, -10%; Requires Magic Words, -10%; Sorcery, -15%) [0.2x4] + Affliction 1 (HT; -1 ST, +5%; Accessibility: Living Creatures, -10%; Cumulative, +400%; Follow-Up, -20%; Requires Gestures, -10%; Requires Magic Words, -10%; Sorcery, -15%) [4.6x10] + Affliction (HT; Disadvantage: Dread, Caster, 11 yards, +40%; Accessibility: Undead, -35%; Based on Will, Own Roll, +20%; Link, +10%; Malediction 1, +100%; Requires Gestures, -10%; Requires Magic Words, -10%; Sorcery, -15%) [2.0x10]

This is the longest ability writeup I've had, thanks to the three-part nature of it. It's more expensive than I'd like, but a lot of that is going into that cumulative ST drain, which is a feature of the original.
Old 10-23-2016, 04:42 PM   #54
Rindis

And the second collection of spells is up!
Dungeon Sorcery Spells 2

My list of problems with Affect Normal Fires, Dancing Lights, and Enlarge from my August 28 post in this thread is sadly unchanged.

Another problem I've run into is Ventriloquism. I haven't seen anything that is good for the non-real ability of 'making your voice come from some other location'. And if a solution to that can be found, Message becomes possible, (it also needs clairvoyance that works in opposition to the normal rules...).

This spell will probably be in my next set, but I'd like some feedback on the Accessibility and Nuisance Effect:

Spider Climb (VC)
Alteration, Somatic, Verbal, Buff
17 points
Casting Time: 1 second
Casting Roll: None
Range: Touch
Duration: 30 seconds

The subject of this spell gains the ability to cling to any surface, allowing him to climb up walls, and stick to ceilings or other surfaces if they are in direct contact with his skin (i.e., the subject cannot wear gloves or shoes while actually climbing up a wall). All such movement is at 1/2 his normal rate.

The downside of this spell is that the subject’s skin will attempt to cling to everything. While uncomfortable for clothes, the main effect is that the subject will be unable to drop anything weighing less than about 5 lbs.; it will just stick to his hand (or other body part). These objects can be ‘scraped off’, or taken by another person, but dropping is no longer a Free Action.

Affliction 1 (HT; Advantage: Clinging (Accessibility: Bare Skin, -10%; Nuisance Effect: Everything Clings, -20%), +140%; Fixed Duration, +0%; Melee Attack, C, 1, -20%; Reduced Duration, 1/6, -15%; Requires Gestures, -10%; Requires Magic Words, -10%; Sorcery, -15%) [1.7x10]
Old 10-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #55
Bruno

Quote:
Another problem I've run into is Ventriloquism. I haven't seen anything that is good for the non-real ability of 'making your voice come from some other location'.
That's an interesting problem but I think Illusion is where you need to go. That's pretty much the "create coherent sensations at a distance" power (as opposed to stuff like Obscure and Innate attack that make noises).

For message, you afflict the subject with Clairevoyance.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 08:56 PM   #56
Rindis

Hmm. I hadn't thought about it that way.

And actually Message is clairvoyance one way (the caster hears what's said at the other end), and... illusion the other way (everyone there hears what the caster said).

Or maybe just Area Effect clairvoyance.
Old 10-23-2016, 09:01 PM   #57
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Hmm. I hadn't thought about it that way.

And actually Message is clairvoyance one way (the caster hears what's said at the other end), and... illusion the other way (everyone there hears what the caster said).

Or maybe just Area Effect clairvoyance.
I created a modifier for Clairvoyance that lets you throw your voice on my blog.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #58
Rindis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
I created a modifier for Clairvoyance that lets you throw your voice on my blog.
Dangit, not only have I seen that post before, but I noted down all the really useful modifiers like that. And then I forgot about it anyway!

Thanks for the reminder. :)
Old 10-23-2016, 10:15 PM   #59
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Dangit, not only have I seen that post before, but I noted down all the really useful modifiers like that. And then I forgot about it anyway!

Thanks for the reminder. :)
Sure. :-) I've got "deconstruct and reconstruct" post for Leech coming up.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2016, 10:40 PM   #60
Rindis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Sure. :-) I've got "deconstruct and reconstruct" post for Leech coming up.
I cannot wait. (Really. It might help me with Leech Seed for a Pokemon post.)