Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

View Poll Results: Do you collect dice for your GURPS games?
Yes! I love dice of all kinds, especially pretty ones. 153 55.64%
I'll buy a new set for a new campaign. 29 10.55%
I've got 3d6. Why would I need more? 65 23.64%
I scavenge dice from other games. 21 7.64%
Dice? I borrow the ones I need. 7 2.55%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2005, 01:32 AM   #31
tetsujin28

Default Re: Do GURPS players collect dice?

I have gajillions of d6s, so I don't really need more.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:05 PM   #32
Wraithe

Default Cool D6 Dice

Arise slumbering thread and take on a shambling semblance of life!

So, one of my classic issues with GURPS is rather shallow and petty - The dice are BORING! *sigh*

I know, I know, ubiquitous, can always scavenge a set from "Monopoly", yadda-yadda-yadda. But I want my cool dice from playing D&D back!

And now I've found some: These dice made by Crystal Caste, are F'ing cool!

I was at Pax East 2011, and ran across a vendor selling the full D&D set of these interesting Dice, and I was going to pass it by when the vendor pointed out that the set actually had 3d6, not just 1d6, as I had thought. So I bought a set of pearl.

The maker (Crystal Caste), charges what I consider somewhat extortionate shipping, but I found a vendor on eBay and got a set of the Purple 10d6, and I'm quite happy.

Apparently the maker sued Parker Brothers after they copied his design for an edition of Monopoly. The PB dice had pips instead of numbers - I wouldn't mine snagging a copy of those too, but that moves back into "collecting dice". :)

They're a little light, but they're very cool-looking and they roll just fine. Now I am happy, and I share this info with other GURPS folks, so they can have cool dice too.

Anyone else out there find any cool types of 6 sided dice?
Old 05-09-2011, 03:24 PM   #33
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundt View Post
Now you mention it... the only people I know who like to use the dice made from stones are all woman.
I'm an exception, but my stone dice are hematite, a very plain stone. I got several sets in other stones, but gradually gave them away to people who really liked them. I also use metal dice.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #34
Ze'Manel Cunha

Default Re: Cool D6 Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithe View Post
There's always 3 dice in a cube to roll in the car, or other places.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:30 PM   #35
dcarson

There is always Shapeways. Can design and 3D print your own dice. Or use one of the existing pattern such as thorn or steampunk.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #36
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
Do GURPS players just not collect dice?
I have a few cool looking dice, mostly given to me by friends, and I often choose which dice to use by aesthetics. But I haven't much need to buy more.

This is made worse by how often I play/run GURPS. I mean, how much justification does GURPS give me for rolling d10s or d4s or d30s? You guys need to rewrite the whole system to use dice with as many different numbers of sides as possible!

Years and years ago, there were d10s on the market that had multiple colors of plastic smooshed and swirled together, no two dice alike. Those were so incredibly cool! I wish I still had my set of them.

But I'm not a collector in the "lots and lots" sense. What I like every couple of years is to pick up a small number of dice that are really elegant or cool or strange.

I can't make this approach fit any of your categories. . . .

Bill Stoddard
Old 05-09-2011, 05:32 PM   #37
Christopher R. Rice

I know I do, I've collected dice since I've begun roleplaying; I especially like dice sets and have maybe thirty or forty of them. I also use them as gifts to new players. One of my favorite things to do in my FLGS is check out their dice selection, I can occasionally find out of production sets that run for double or triple price on eBay.

Ghostdancer

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Old 05-09-2011, 07:27 PM   #38
mook

Default Re: Cool D6 Dice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraithe View Post
I just recently fell in love with solid metal dice, also from Crystal Caste. They are so heavy in the hand that when I try to roll plastic dice now I often end up flinging them across the table in a mighty arc. :P
Old 05-09-2011, 07:39 PM   #39
giant.robot

Several years ago I started using Games Workshop d6 for GURPS and WEG Star Wars games and I really like them. I use a dice cup so they don't roll all over the table so the smaller dice have a lot more room to bounce around. The little cube they come in is also a convenient way to keep them all together and you get enough for several players for a few dollars. Now I've got several cubes worth of these dice so everyone can have different colors.

I've got a huge collection of random dice I've bought over the years as I liked the color or wanted to play a game but didn't have my own dice with me. They're not so much a collection as an amalgamation.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:54 PM   #40
gpf

The 3-dice in a cube are a really cool idea!

Now, I myself don't care too much about dice... unless there are a bunch of them, and I've used them long enough to develop my superstitions about them. =) I find the arguments about different supernatural powers of certain dice to be a very enjoyable part of the game... "No, man, don't do this! The red dice are good for damage rolls, so of course they roll high!"
Closed Thread

Tags
dice