Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

View Poll Results: Do you collect dice for your GURPS games?
Yes! I love dice of all kinds, especially pretty ones. 153 55.64%
I'll buy a new set for a new campaign. 29 10.55%
I've got 3d6. Why would I need more? 65 23.64%
I scavenge dice from other games. 21 7.64%
Dice? I borrow the ones I need. 7 2.55%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 04:48 AM   #21
angel_lord

Default Re: Do GURPS players collect dice?

I collect all types of six siders, and a fair amount of the pollyhedral dice as well.

I'm always on the lookout for good dice and good dice bags. For instance, Wil Wheaton has this sweet dice bag with the Pyramid/ All seeing eye on it. I so want to find one of those.

I'd also like to find a set of metal six siders, probably copper , and maybe some obsidian sixes.

I ususally avoid six siders with numbers instead of pips though. To me they just don't look as cool

I'm still slightly picky about my sixes, and yet I have 18 cubes of the 16mm chessex ones plus numerous loose sixes bought in sets of three. That just shows that there are a lot of great dice sets out there. I'm just waiting on SJG to come up with special sets.

Last edited by angel_lord; 04-29-2005 at 05:17 AM.
Old 04-29-2005, 06:21 AM   #22
Von Bek

Having been a Warhammer player before RPing I already owned quite a few matched d6. Chuck in the old dice my Dad had before he gave up, and I've only ever bought dice once, which was before a Pendragon game.

In that instance I bought some quite nice d20s, but I think I've stopped buying now. Hopefully one day I'll pass my dice down to my kids, but then again I may just keep them until I die.

I apologize for the morbid tone, but RPing 'til I die appeals.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:18 AM   #23
GoatRider

I'm surprised nobody's ever made dice with a rhombic dodecahedron. This is an alternate form of a 12-sider, made with diamonds instead of pentagons. It's related to the cube and octohedron (both have 12 edges), the way the 30-sider (rhombic tricontrahedron) is related to the dodecahedron and icosohedron (both have 30 edges).

Anyways, I made mine out of aluminum bar stock in my shop, learning how to use my mini-lathe as a milling machine. One of these days I should order some number stamps, stamp 1-12 on the faces, and pull a mold and make a few out of resin.
Old 04-29-2005, 07:33 AM   #24
ArchonShiva

You have to buy dice? I thought they just turned up...

Seriously, I have so many dice it's not remotely funny, and I don't remember actually buying most of them. I bought maybe 20% of all [the dice in my house], probably far less.

A thing that doesn't help is that whenever I take part in a GURPS game at a con I seem to go home with a new dice set. GURPS GMs seem to like me and tell the organizers to give me dice new. (good thing I don't go to conventionss too often...)

But do I collect? In a way. I have my three GURPS dice for rolling 8- on demand (and rolling completely randomly when people test them), my 'emergency six' die for damage (but which only works alone -- so it doesn't help 2d6 weapons at all), and my dreaded brown d10 from MERP which can reliably chain 0's when playing Mekton but, again, rolls perfectly innocent twos and threes when other players get mad and start accusing me of cheating. I'd call myself superstitious if it didn't actually work.

- Archon Shiva
Old 04-29-2005, 07:42 AM   #25
Hobbes

Practically - I don't need to buy any dice. I have all the dice I need for the various games I play--D10 pools, D6 pools, and polyhedral sets.

Realistically - If SJG were to make a Superswank set of GURPS dice, I'd probably cave. I'm weak like that.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:42 AM   #26
Extrarius

Hrmm, if SJG made a D6 with the logo for a '1', triangular pips, and the pips for the '6' shaped as a hex, I'd buy 3-6 of those for sure =-)
That would be the extent of my collecting though
Old 04-29-2005, 04:18 PM   #27
jSarek

I also feel like the choices given don't quite match me.

I have enough dice for most games I play (especially after finding a bunch of cheapies that were made even cheaper by a going-out-of-business sale last year). Still, if I see a single die that really appeals to me (be it due to color, unusual shape, or some other gimmick), I'm liable to grab one. I've never bought sets of dice (again, excepting the aforementioned cheapies); I prefer the eclectic look to uniformity, and its far cheaper to buy one cool die than a set of cool dice.

I'd say my dice collection increases by about one to two dice per year (not counting last year's lucky find). So it does slowly grow, but I start new campaigns more often than I buy even a single die, let alone a set.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:38 PM   #28
AOTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatRider
I'm surprised nobody's ever made dice with a rhombic dodecahedron. This is an alternate form of a 12-sider, made with diamonds instead of pentagons.
I wonder how these roll? If they were numbered 1-6 twice and sold in sets of three they would be great unique GURPS dice. There are also d18 out there that could be numbered the same way.
Mib#3477
Formally Bobzilla
GURPS Checker for Prime Directive
Old 04-29-2005, 08:58 PM   #29
GoatRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobzilla
I wonder how these roll? If they were numbered 1-6 twice and sold in sets of three they would be great unique GURPS dice. There are also d18 out there that could be numbered the same way.
Mine rolls the same as any other regular polyhedra. Actually, I think it comes to a stop quicker than a regular d12, since some of the angles seem sharper. But every face should still have an equal probability.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:24 PM   #30
ehrbar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoatRider
I'm surprised nobody's ever made dice with a rhombic dodecahedron.
It's been done; I've seen them, years ago, in one guy's collection. They've just never taken off.

GURPS Technomancer resources. Including The Renegade Mage's Unofficial GURPS Magic Spell Errata, last updated July 7th, 2023.
Closed Thread

Tags
dice