Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

View Poll Results: Do you collect dice for your GURPS games?
Yes! I love dice of all kinds, especially pretty ones. 153 55.64%
I'll buy a new set for a new campaign. 29 10.55%
I've got 3d6. Why would I need more? 65 23.64%
I scavenge dice from other games. 21 7.64%
Dice? I borrow the ones I need. 7 2.55%
Voters: 275. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 03:47 PM   #11
flyingwombat

Default Re: Do GURPS players collect dice?

I usually buy dice at conventions. I have a plastic container that has about 100 dice of nearly all known types in it. I have d6, natch, but also d4s, d20s, round d6s and even a Zoccihedron. I have dice, mostly d6s in the book bag I use to carry my gaming stuff.
Old 04-28-2005, 04:31 PM   #12
copeab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Dice collectors are a well-known phenomenon in this industy, but you don't hear much about them in GURPS.

Do GURPS players just not collect dice?
I've collected a fair number of dice since I started playing GURPS in 1990, but since I started with AD&D in 1982, I had bit of a head start. However, almost all of my d20's, my one d30 and my two eight-sided direction dice were picked up after 1990.

Brandon
Old 04-28-2005, 04:40 PM   #13
Sydney

I keep my GURPSin' Dice seperate from my polyhedrals for (A)D&D and other games, and have bought 3 sets of D6s in sets of 12 so far for GURPS, gotta fill the dice bag after all with a respectable weight...All the better to flail others who get too close to my pizza/corn dogs/Mtn. Dew...
Old 04-28-2005, 07:06 PM   #14
Extrarius

I voted for the 'I've got 3d6' option, but really, I don't even have 3d6. I just got my GURPS books recently (haven't played GURPS before, but I do have a single 7-die polyhedral set for D&D). I plan on buying quite a few plain D6 (around 36 or so), but thats because I'm going to be GMing GURPS for people that haven't played it before and I don't want to be passing a single set around the whole time =-)
Old 04-28-2005, 07:49 PM   #15
Azmenon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Dice collectors are a well-known phenomenon in this industy, but you don't hear much about them in GURPS.

Do GURPS players just not collect dice?
I use six d6 dice. Three blue gems and three red gems. The red ones are for character-type stuff like skill rolls and the such, while the blue are used primarily for combat. They basically match the covers of the 3rd Ed. Compendiums. =)
Old 04-28-2005, 09:06 PM   #16
Gaming_Bird

I also fall into that category between "I'll buy a new set for a new campaign" and "I've got 3d6, why do I need more" However, since I'll be a player in practicly any game (I'm in a disingegrating D20 game right now) I tend to keep a small collection of dice on hand, as well as a few good luck charms and pencils in the dice bag. However, as I am preparing to be the GM for a new GURPS game (The first time GMing in a few years) I decided to mark the occasion with a new trio of dice to add to the bag, a set of 'character builders,' weighted dice that are supposed to roll 18 every time. They're not that flawless, and the weighting is blatand if you pick them up and look at them, but they're in the dice bag more for the symbolism than for practical use. (I would have also added a set of leaded crystal polyhedrons from one of those mail order catelogs, but I'm not goung to from a hundred bucks on a symbol, I ain't THAT supersticious.
Old 04-28-2005, 09:56 PM   #17
Lord_Kjeran

Chello!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir-talen
But then again, if SJGames wants to put out a set of obsidian black 3d6 with a little pyramid logo replacing the 1 dot, I'm not going to pass it by next time I'm in my FLGS
Amen, preach it, brother!!! We need something to show up those Hero players with their black & green Hero logo dice!!! ;) I mean, SJ comes out with those, I am so there!!!! (Hmmm, how about black with red pips/logo?) Fnord.

I'm firmly in the "buy dice for new campaign" group...but then, I still play Hackmaster and oter games as well.....:)

Tony

Q: GM, are you using the d20 rules system?
A: No. GURPS is fun. D20 games are not fun. The GM says so.

Playing d20/3.5 makes Baby Jesus cry.
Old 04-28-2005, 10:51 PM   #18
Hex
Banned

I buy all sorts of dice...I've got metal, plastic etc. d3,d4,d5,d6,d8,d10,d12,d16,d20,d24,d30,d%...of different colours and styles, just last month I spent over $100 on just dice...yeesh...I don't even know what to do with them...but I can't stop!!!!
Old 04-28-2005, 10:57 PM   #19
Casey

Well I do a bit of each of these but I guess the first option fits it best:

Yes! I love dice of all kinds, especially pretty ones.
I'll buy a new set for a new campaign.
I scavenge dice from other games.

Since I play more than just d6 only games I have a full polyhedral range. I tend to pick up oddballs at cons or sets that just look way too cool (yes that includes the pretties) not to leave the con without. This is how I got a 12 sided d4, kanji dice, and some others. I'd like to find 12 sided d6s.

I like to buy a new set for a campaign especially if I'm running. That and some dice sets seem to just not work for more than one game or just build up bad roll karma. >.<

Even if I get rid of games I keep the dice. For example I came across some old Yahtzee dice that must be at least 30 years old. Larger than dice today with small pips barely inset and spread out at the edges. They roll very differently than current dice. I just found the drawer with my Holmes era D&D dice last week. I think the edges are crystallizing. o.o
Old 04-29-2005, 01:51 AM   #20
The Wrathchild

Location: A nice, warm rock with an excellent view of the Damned

I don't collect dice as such, but have bought and been gifted with all sorts of dice, especially d6's since I was GURPSified in the very early 90's

I have a set of 3d6 that are very important to me though: Black dice with red pips, and Sauron's flaming eye for the 1.

That is to say that I wholly in the camp that would go for those special GURPS/SJGames dice ;)

Tags
dice