Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 04-11-2014, 05:23 PM   #1
Clrobertson

Default Managing Races and Classes

I get how almost all card management works, but I have one clarifying question about races and classes. Let's say I'm a wizard and I draw a warrior card. I want to switch to warrior, but may want to go back to wizard at another point. Am I able to put the wizard class in my "backpack," and have it for use later? Or, at the time of switching races or classes do I need to charity, trade, sell, or discard the race/class card? Thanks in advance!
Clrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 05:56 PM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Managing Races and Classes

There is no "backpack," so I'm not sure what you mean by that. We actually actively discourage the use of that term since I've encountered multiple definitions for its meaning (this is what happens when someone makes up a term that isn't a game term), and we really, really, really want to avoid confusion, especially on the 101 forum.

As for your question: Cards may not return to your hand, and the only cards you may turn sideways to indicate that you are not using them are Items that you have in play. If you want to play a new Race or Class card when you already have one in play, you must discard your current Race or Class to make room for the new one. The rules state that you can discard a Race or Class at any time, even when it's not your turn, and that you can play a Race or Class at any time during your turn (which includes during combat), or if you'd just received it. You can't trade or sell something that is not an Item, and since Races and Classes do not have Gold Piece values, they are not Items.

As for charity, I want to make it clear that charity only ever refers to a player having to give away extra cards from his hand at the end of his turn. It does not refer to anything else. You can't give away your hand cards or in play cards just because you want to do so, with the exception that you could effectively trade for nothing in return by giving another player an Item you have in play.

So, if you want to become a Wizard later, you need to have a Wizard card in your hand, or hope you get one at some later point.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #3
Clrobertson

Awesome. Thanks for the clarification. I must have missed that in the rules. Thanks!
Clrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:47 PM   #4
Gidoza

MunchkinMan, just one more question based on what you said that occurred to me.

While we can trade/give away items, is it permissible to give away an item to someone who doesn't want it? I presume no...but then again, the person could just toss it back at you, I guess.
Gidoza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #5
MunchkinMan

I usually say that trade partners, even if one isn't giving back something in return, need to be willing. Otherwise, the game devolves into two or more players throwing Items around that they don't want, and slowing the game up for everyone else.
MiB #1029
Old 04-21-2014, 11:18 AM   #6
r1nger

Whoa whoa whoa , you can switch classes and races in combat ??? That doesn't seem right
r1nger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 11:19 AM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by r1nger View Post
Whoa whoa whoa , you can switch classes and races in combat ??? That doesn't seem right
Whoa whoa whoa, it's totally right. Read the game rules.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
r1nger

well thank you for enlightening me on that one , I was playing wrong . so, say i am elf with the "bow with ribbons" equipped, i kick in the door and draw a face sucker that is +6 to elves . i can discard my elf race card and become human . and then i would lose the ability to use the bow (-4) and the face sucker will not receive the +6 buff ? i did read the rules and it said you can discard a race or class card in combat , but nothing about playing another one in combat . so from how i understand it , you can only become classless or become human , you can't go from one card race or card class to another one . i am right with that assumption ?
Old 04-21-2014, 09:08 PM   #9
r1nger

ok i found the answer to my last question. class and race cards can be played at any time during your turn, so you can definitely change races and classes in the middle of combat . when "helping" another player ,you can discard your race or class but you can not add one because its not your turn. if you could clear up my item questions it would be nice. if an item was only usable to the class or race and i changed from that race/class then that item becomes unequipped in the middle of combat , and i obviously can't equip a class race specific item during combat after the switch .
Old 04-22-2014, 05:29 AM   #10
MunchkinMan

That particular scenario is actually somewhat discussed (choosing to discard your Race is no different than being cursed to lose it) in the FAQ, under Important Note #2 (so it's near the top): You would no longer be able to use your Elf-only Items. You don't have to lose them either, they just no longer provide a bonus. Also any Monster bonuses based on your discarded Race would go away, too.
MiB #1029