Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-11-2012, 12:27 PM   #1
CanvasWolfDoll

Default Riding Hares

alright, i am new to these forums, so i hope i'm posting this in the right place.

when i was young, i used to borrow a friend's copy of third edition. it was fun to flip through an browse. now that i'm older, i have the fourth edition books, and am putting together a campaign.

anyways, one thing that's forever ingrained in my mind from the third edition source book is a picture it had at the beginning of one of the sections (i forget which) of a group of pony express-esque mail carriers, riding on giant bunnies, with their bags embroidered with the name 'bunny express'.

i wish to implement such giant bunnies in my game, and i was wondering if there was a template or some such for them, and where i can find it.
CanvasWolfDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
Walrus

Default Re: Riding Hares

There is Rabbit template in DF 5: Allies, p. 24. You can scale it to SM needed, add Mount skill if necessary. Use horse templates from basic to see useful mount abilities.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:16 PM   #3
Anders

I'd go with the horse templates and modify them. Most of what separates a horse from a like-sized bunny is flavor text.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
CanvasWolfDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask View Post
I'd go with the horse templates and modify them. Most of what separates a horse from a like-sized bunny is flavor text.
thanks, i'll look into doing that!

Last edited by CanvasWolfDoll; 03-11-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walrus View Post
There is Rabbit template in DF 5: Allies, p. 24. You can scale it to SM needed, add Mount skill if necessary. Use horse templates from basic to see useful mount abilities.
A rabbit is really low SM, much smaller than a human. You can't just scale that up to SM+2 or +3 or anything else that's a lot larger than a human. Scaling up an animal drastically has to affect its DX in general and its mobility in lots of smaller ways.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:57 PM   #6
Peter Knutsen
Banned

Quote:
I thought it was only D&D-style people who say stuff like that. Who only care about combat stats and movement rates, and cheerfully disregard all other differences even when they are hugely important outside of combat.
Peter Knutsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #7
CanvasWolfDoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
A rabbit is really low SM, much smaller than a human. You can't just scale that up to SM+2 or +3 or anything else that's a lot larger than a human. Scaling up an animal drastically has to affect its DX in general and its mobility in lots of smaller ways.
i actually read/heard somewhere (i forget where) that rabbots are one of the few animals that can be easily scaled upwards without much hinderance by the square-cube law.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #8
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Knutsen View Post
I thought it was only D&D-style people who say stuff like that. Who only care about combat stats and movement rates, and cheerfully disregard all other differences even when they are hugely important outside of combat.
Note that he asked for templates. So what rules-related stuff am I neglecting?
Old 03-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #9
vierasmarius

Quote:
Note that he asked for templates. So what rules-related stuff am I neglecting?
Hare locomotion is quite different from horse locomotion. You could take a look at the Kangaroo (from 3e Bestiary, updated to 4e in the Natural Encyclopedia) for some hints. Super Jump is definitely appropriate, and possibly Leg ST.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:26 PM   #10
Anders

I'm not sure Super Jump is appropriate... horses are pretty good jumpers as well. I'd go with Jumping skill.

The gait... yeah, but for the hare to be a viable riding creature you'd really have to modify the gait. Wouldn't you? That's why I'd relegate that to flavor text.

Note that I never said flavor text was unimportant. IMO, it's as much fun to read as the template. But we don't need rules to write the flavor text.

Tags
bunny, gurps 4e, mount, template