Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-27-2016, 11:21 PM   #81
lachimba

Default Re: [AtE] [Low Tech] Farming in AtE

everything depends on variables.

What does the world look like?

What was the TL when things fell apart?

etc

If an article eventually comes on this it would be nice if it gave switches that would determine viability.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:32 PM   #82
Minuteman37

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Yeah, I didn't spell that out, specifically, but in the "Food" list I asked how much of what types of crops were available. More is better, if for no other reason than it helps the soil.

I thought this was a good article, and provides some useful insights:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organ...z10fmzraw.aspx
Tshiggins, could you provide a sort of multiple choice list for the minimum crop diversity humans need to survive? Sort of like this

At least one Grain which could be any of corn, wheat, rice etc.
At least two sources of Vitamin A which could be carrots, apples etc.
and so on

I know nothing about this subject so excuse me for my ignorance.
Minuteman37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:32 PM   #83
(E)

A range of terrains is also good. Hills and flats both have benefits. A range of soil types is a big bonus too. High fertility aluvial and volcanic soils are a big plus. Depth of top soil. Supplimentary resources such as tree plantations and lime or gravel quarries.

Any major deficiencies in the local soils? Copper and selenium poor where I farm.

Are there any low input farms already in operation? (Such as mine)

Thinking about it the farm I'm on would over 10 years of so lose about 60% of its current meat production without external input (medicines and fertilizer). That would leave a production of 460 lambs after replacements maybe less depending on the availability of out side genetics. Beef production is trickier to calculate probably about 40 yearlings per annum. Other production on farm is pine trees and honey commercially. Feral turkeys, pigs, goats and geese are present as are chickens and a handful of dairy cows used as nurse cows currently. Wool production would be trickier after a decade or so there would be no way to maintain electric shearing plants without help. Other wise maybe 4 tons of wool per annum.

There is a generator and basic engineering facilities on farm, the biggest thing I've made is a hydraulic log splitter. Lacking in big machinery though as the farm is only about 50% tractor accessible. Petrol powered rototiller and enough herbicide to break in a couple of hectares of river flats are in the shed.

Current sheep breeding has parasite and disease resistance in first or second place as far as priorities.

All animals fed on a grass system, Hay and break feeding in winter to manage pasture and redistribute quality seed.

Another thought regarding TL8 breeding. Gene tests can tell if the big healthy animal is that way because of genetics or not. It greatly speeds up genetic selection.

Fences would have a 20 to 30 year lifespan with maintenance. Solar electric fence unit would provide some options.
Edit
House used to have gravity rain water and that could be restored easily, as well as a wet back.
Pasture is a mix of Rye grass and Kikuyu/clover
Also produces firewood in commercial quantities
On a river
White bait native to river

Last edited by (E); 03-28-2016 at 04:54 AM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 11:48 PM   #84
(E)

For minutemans list
Liver has a huge range of vitamins if the settlement has livestock. Carnivores livers are off the list though.
Ideas in vague order of importance not complete
- staple, energy or starch rich food (calories)
- legume (Nitrogen fixers)
- deep rooting crop (soil conditioners)
- animals (Rotation as many species as possible)
- variety foods
- off season crops too.
- Medicinal plants, Garlic, Myrtle, Manuka (NZ), fennel, rosemary, willow, poppies, there are whole books on what to plant in medicinal herb gardens
- Functional plants Flax, cotton etc
- There are ranges of plants that repel insects as well
- Sugar cane has an additional use for gaming purposes, the sugar can be combined with potassium nitrate to fuel a rocket or make explosives.

Last edited by (E); 03-28-2016 at 05:06 AM.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 02:33 AM   #85
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshiggins View Post
Does Australia not have enough dingoes left to make a difference?
There are no pure dingoes on the mainland any more - only on some islands. The mainland dingoes are all dog cross-breeds. In any case they have no effect on cats. There is no predator in Australia that can control cats.

Apologies for going off topic. To bring it back to relevance, you are wasting your time using cats to control vermin. Terriers are specifically bred to do this and are more effective than cats. They are also more selective and so won't wipe out every other small living creature in the area.

Last edited by DanHoward; 03-28-2016 at 02:46 AM.
DanHoward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 04:30 AM   #86
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minuteman37 View Post
Tshiggins, could you provide a sort of multiple choice list for the minimum crop diversity humans need to survive? Sort of like this

At least one Grain which could be any of corn, wheat, rice etc.
At least two sources of Vitamin A which could be carrots, apples etc.
and so on

I know nothing about this subject so excuse me for my ignorance.
For short term survival all you need is calories; it doesn't matter where they come from so any type of food will do. Most dietary deficiency diseases take months to manifest.

A high meat diet will cover pretty much all dietary needs. The diet of Mongolian nomads is pretty much exclusively mutton and tea. Eskimos pretty much eat only meat.

Last edited by DanHoward; 03-28-2016 at 04:36 AM.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:04 AM   #87
Crakkerjakk
"Gimme 18 minutes . . ."

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanHoward View Post
For short term survival all you need is calories; it doesn't matter where they come from so any type of food will do. Most dietary deficiency diseases take months to manifest.

A high meat diet will cover pretty much all dietary needs. The diet of Mongolian nomads is pretty much exclusively mutton and tea. Eskimos pretty much eat only meat.
Depends on the type of meat. You need a high fat content or else you can start suffering from Rabbit Starvation.

Semper Fi
Crakkerjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:21 AM   #88
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crakkerjakk View Post
Depends on the type of meat. You need a high fat content or else you can start suffering from Rabbit Starvation.
Absolutely. I was thinking of a variety of animals that typically come from hunting and trapping. Not limiting your diet to one animal.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:23 AM   #89
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
I know bee keepers harvest on Christmas day and boxing day to get the manuka honey which has the antibiotic properties.
Honey of any kind has antiseptic properties on wounds - nothing special about the origin. The sugar itself kills the bacteria, just like packing salt on it would - but it sucks a lot less than packing salt on your wounds would.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 05:29 AM   #90
DanHoward

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
Honey of any kind has antiseptic properties on wounds - nothing special about the origin. The sugar itself kills the bacteria, just like packing salt on it would - but it sucks a lot less than packing salt on your wounds would.
Manuka honey has the best antibacterial properties of all honeys. Active ingredient is methylglyoxal, not just sugar. It is being sold to hospitals specifically for medicinal use. In Australia it comes from the Jelly Bush.

Last edited by DanHoward; 03-28-2016 at 05:36 AM.