Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 03-13-2019, 08:42 PM   #11
William

Default Re: Ethereal Reproduction

Ethereals can imagine other ethereals into existence, but such creations only stabilize with a great deal of luck. They can be dreamed up "to spec" with a good Dreaming roll, but not unless they acquire a Celestial Force will they stabilize permanently.

The Ethereal Song of Life is supposedly unknown these days; the user would be very dangerous in the Marches, as they could snuff out an ethereal's life as easily as they could create a new spirit. It took a CD of 6 for the Song to create a stable entity, and if an ethereal was using it they could only create something the singer had seen before.

Neither of these methods involve two ethereals reproducing with one another. The idea of a spirit with a Fertility affinity enabling such a process appeals to me. Eli's Midwife Attunement allows two celestials to produce a Reliever, but requires an investment of Forces from both (and from the Eliite!); I would recommend that a Fertility spirit's ability require an equally substantial investment.

-----

Some spirits definitely predate humanity; the Kraken is called out specifically as one that was around long before humans.
William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 11:25 AM   #12
Rocket Man
Petitioner: Word of IN Filk

Default Re: Ethereal Reproduction

Quote:
Neither of these methods involve two ethereals reproducing with one another. The idea of a spirit with a Fertility affinity enabling such a process appeals to me. Eli's Midwife Attunement allows two celestials to produce a Reliever, but requires an investment of Forces from both (and from the Eliite!); I would recommend that a Fertility spirit's ability require an equally substantial investment.
And given how perilous life can be for an Ethereal these days (and how predatory other Ethereal spirits can be), requiring an investment of precious Forces would keep Ethereal reproduction suitably rare.

Author: "What Doesn't Kill Me Makes Me Stronger"
Rocket Man is offline   Reply With Quote