Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Transhuman Space

Old 01-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #21
Astromancer

Default Re: If [b]You[/b] got an upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
My target traits would be improved DX (for dancing and not falling into agaves or generally being a klutz) and Language Talent (a lifelong dream is to be highly multilingual, but I appear to have "Language Incompetence" and am struggling with even one language beyond my maternal one). Looking at all the options, nothing really works unless you count Utopia, which might not exist and which is in any case a munchkin power fantasy and not my cup of tea. Something between Alpha and Metanoia would be fine; maybe I could commission a custom job.
Attribute Modifiers: DX+1 [20]; HT+1 [10].
Advantages: Attractive [4]; Language Talent [10]; Longevity [2]; Resistant to Disease (+8) [5].
Quirks: Imaginative [-1].
Features: Taboo Traits (Genetic Defects, Unattractiveness).
Graceful, healthy, good-looking, long-lived, and a gifted communicator – but without being some visibly different thing others might hesitate to accept as human. I'd take that.
From a half-blind klutz who has the same issue with Language acquisition as you do, ME TOO!!!!

Ancora Imparo
Astromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #22
nudj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I appear to have "Language Incompetence" and am struggling with even one language beyond my maternal one).
Do you think that is because you are 50? I am of a similar age and have the same issue.
nudj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 03:29 PM   #23
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nudj View Post

Do you think that is because you are 50? I am of a similar age and have the same issue.
I don't think so. I was no better at languages at 18 than I am at 51.

Long Version: When I started undergraduate school in 1985, at age 18, I wanted my minor subject to be French. I was told that as a science major, I had to choose my minor from among what we'd call STEM disciplines today, but that didn't dissuade me from taking French courses anyway. At age 23, I moved to Québec and was immersed in French. Despite all that, my progress was very gradual, even stagnant, until I started seeing a Francophone girlfriend last year.

When I took up Argentine tango in 2013, I thought, "Huh, it would be nice to learn Spanish." While it's true that I haven't made a concerted effort to do so, it's also true that at times being immersed in the language hasn't done a thing for me in six years.

By contrast, my father – also an English speaker – was able to acquit himself (if with an accent) in spoken French, German, and Latin, and read all those plus Spanish quite well. He also had at least some spoken Japanese, and could muddle through reading written Greek. Moreover, in the case of English, French, German, and Latin, he had multiple versions, reading Old and Middle English, Old French, Old High German, Classical and Church Latin, etc. even when the scripts got real funky. And he learned that stuff throughout his life, close to the day he died at age 80.

Anyway, I think that either my father had Language Talent or I have Language Ineptitude! Thankfully, given my profession as an editor and writer of English, one's maternal tongue is not governed by the same part of the brain that controls acquiring new languages.
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 06:35 PM   #24
whswhs

The trait I would most like to have is a functional sense of pitch. Not perfect pitch, but just the ability to tell one note from another in music. Though if we go for more extreme things, I would like to have my natural lifespan increased—but only if that were available to C and to at least some of our friends; I think Baucis and Philemon asked the Greek gods for one of the greatest possible blessings.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 08:57 AM   #25
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astromancer View Post
From a half-blind klutz who has the same issue with Language acquisition as you do, ME TOO!!!!
Just a note but Language Talent is one of those things available in the TS setting after birth from "Neuroviruses". Pretty much all the Brain mods and the Sleeping ones too. If those don't cover your issues borrow some chips from UT that deal with neurological issues.

We all want what we don't have now. That's why I want the HT and wouldn't mind the DX bits too. Good eyesight and some musical talent and seveal other things like that.
Old 01-24-2019, 01:20 PM   #26
Astromancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Just a note but Language Talent is one of those things available in the TS setting after birth from "Neuroviruses". Pretty much all the Brain mods and the Sleeping ones too. If those don't cover your issues borrow some chips from UT that deal with neurological issues.

We all want what we don't have now. That's why I want the HT and wouldn't mind the DX bits too. Good eyesight and some musical talent and seveal other things like that.
I've got musical talent, the ability to learn an instrument to at least my vocal skill level (it isn't a high level of skill, but even professionals have told me I can make beautiful sounds) would be wonderful. Language Talent and a cure for Aspergers would be highly desirable.

Ancora Imparo
Old 01-26-2019, 07:03 AM   #27
Astromancer

I'm going through a mild but DEEPLY annoying cold. One of those plus five to resist disease mods would be lovely.

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-01-2019, 06:18 AM   #28
Astromancer

I notice that cats and teenagers can sleep anywhere, in strange positions, and wake up able to move without stiffness or noticeable pain. As a 58 year old, I can't do that in a high quality bed. What joint mods would I need to sleep like a cat or a 17 year old?

Ancora Imparo
Old 02-01-2019, 12:07 PM   #29
Flyndaran
Untagged

Probably just no mobility or joint issues and Deep Sleeper.

As a child, I would sometimes sleep with my legs on the couch and my face on the floor upside down. Then again, my mom often sleeps on the floor.

But now, I too have much more limited positions and places in which I can effectively sleep.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #30
Astromancer

What would be the most practical upgrade for the feet? I think my arches are sagging.

Ancora Imparo