Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 08-04-2018, 02:33 AM   #31
lachimba

Default Re: DFRPG momentarily on Board Game Breakfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Last Tuesday my group had to make up a rule for Star Trek Ascendancy.

Occasionally edge-case situations arise that the rules designers just overlooked. It happens.
I think that exception proves the rule and is otherwise irrelevant.

I am sure I have made up rules for GURPS (and other RPGs). Thats not to say it doesn't have comprehensive rules
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 05:54 AM   #32
InfinitePudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post

I am sure I have made up rules for GURPS (and other RPGs). Thats not to say it doesn't have comprehensive rules
Sorry, it always confuses me when people use that turn of phrase. "The exception that proves the rule" because that's exactly the opposite of what an exception does to a rule. People who say that also never offer an example of how it proves the rule. So if you could please be so kind and humor me? I've always wanted to ask someone who says that to explain, so now I am.
InfinitePudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:13 AM   #33
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by West_Winds View Post
Sorry, it always confuses me when people use that turn of phrase. "The exception that proves the rule" because that's exactly the opposite of what an exception does to a rule. People who say that also never offer an example of how it proves the rule. So if you could please be so kind and humor me? I've always wanted to ask someone who says that to explain, so now I am.
If there is an exception, then by definition there is a rule. Otherwise it would not be (called) an exception.

In French, it is actually "confirm the rule" , (implied "confirm the existence of a rule") rather than prove.

Last edited by Celjabba; 08-04-2018 at 10:39 AM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #34
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
That was just last week... and not really an exception. We have to make rulings pretty often (roughly 1 in 3 or 4 games), not every time we play something, but the more complicated the rules base (I'm looking at you Star Wars X-Wing and Armada) the likely we'll find an edge case that's not well covered under the rules.

I'm actually kinda surprised we found one in our first play through of Star Trek Ascendancy, and we answered it in the exact same manner that the game designers FAQed.

Quote:
I can't actually remember the last time I had to make a ruling* over something that wasn't covered under GURPS rules. And I don't mean "I don't like this rules so I'm house ruling it", I mean "Huh. How do you do this under the rules, I can't find a way at all".

The simpler the board/card/ minis game, the less likely we find gaps in the rules.

* I make rules calls all the time, whether they are consistent with the rules or not is another matter.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:31 PM   #35
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
That was just last week... and not really an exception. We have to make rulings pretty often (roughly 1 in 3 or 4 games), not every time we play something, but the more complicated the rules base (I'm looking at you Star Wars X-Wing and Armada) the likely we'll find an edge case that's not well covered under the rules.

I don't play thise games. I can only talk about the games I play. Once again Gloomhaven yesterday. No need to make up any rules in a three hour game.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:47 PM   #36
InfinitePudding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
If there is an exception, then by definition there is a rule. Otherwise it would not be (called) an exception.

In French, it is actually "confirm the rule" , (implied "confirm the existence of a rule") rather than prove.
Thanks XD that phrase has always confused me.
InfinitePudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 03:57 PM   #37
johndallman
Night Watchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
The use of "prove" in the English version is an old meaning of "prove", where it means testing or demonstrating, rather than reaching an inarguable conclusion.
johndallman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:15 PM   #38
Kalzazz

You know, given that all the 80s stuff listed as true inspiration for DFRPG, then indeed the character should be able to wear all the belts for all the sais
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:56 AM   #39
Tom H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
Here's some insight from the designer of the DFRPG . . .

I could use my copious free time* to immerse myself in other kinds of games, . . .
I've been wanting to post that I appreciate the candor and the behind-the-scenes peek in Kromm's post linked above.

Also, sometimes I get the feeling that with the proliferation of material and work coming from some of the designers and writers of RPG products that they don't live under the same constraints as the rest of us. So I found it very insightful that Kromm's time to experiment with other game forms would require the normal human trade-offs in focus.

Posts like these expose a lot, but I gain a lot of perspective from them as well.
Tom H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:27 AM   #40
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom H. View Post

I've been wanting to post that I appreciate the candor and the behind-the-scenes peek in Kromm's post linked above.
Thank you! I've made a point of being accessible and – within the bounds of decency and respecting others' privacy – truthful. I've never hidden my weaknesses, be they innate (e.g., being biased toward fantasy, or not being as good with board, card, dice, and war games as with RPGs) or the result of circumstances (notably my lack of money and free time). I'm happy that you noticed and even happier that you appreciated it.

Quote:

Also, sometimes I get the feeling that with the proliferation of material and work coming from some of the designers and writers of RPG products that they don't live under the same constraints as the rest of us. So I found it very insightful that Kromm's time to experiment with other game forms would require the normal human trade-offs in focus.
Many designers are almost cloistered. They work long days and through the weekend, rarely go out at night, and take few or no vacations. What downtime they do take is devoted to playing games, recording gaming vlogs, attending games conventions, and pursuing "related interests" like anime, comics, cosplay, historical reenactment, superhero movies, or science-fiction conventions. Their time is no less constrained than yours or mine, but they live entirely within the geekosphere by choice, which makes cranking out gaming material as much a pastime as it is a job.

I do work long days because the only economical way to create quality RPG materials "on the clock" is to invoice eight hours while quietly working nine or more. I don't take as many vacations as my therapist insists I should because I don't get paid time off and I have a modest income (nobody gets rich, or even comfortably middle class, working on games); vacations mean having no cash for the rest of my downtime. I do take downtime, though: I insist on having evenings and weekends free, and I don't read email or enter my home office during those times. I'm also the kind of person who needs variety to thrive, so I use that downtime for things that fall outside the geekosphere: going out with my girlfriend (to grab a bite, dance, have a drink, just walk in the park, whatever), studying and dancing Argentine tango, making cocktails, or cooking.

So . . . where some designers wake up and do geeky stuff for 16 hours a day, every day, and devote on the order of 100 hours/week to creating game supplements, I see working on games as a 40 hours/week job. In reality I'm often putting in 50 or 60 hours/week, but that's deceiving because I'm a full-time line developer, which means at least 25% of my billable hours are tied up in dreary administrative tasks that are a long way from gaming. Some months that's more like 50%.

Quote:

Posts like these expose a lot, but I gain a lot of perspective from them as well.
Then I hope you find the additional details I just shared informative!
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
board game breakfast, dfrpg, gurps