Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 03-04-2019, 12:30 PM   #21
malloyd

Default Re: Traditonal Belter Cuisine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turhan's Bey Company View Post
Again, with ultra-tech chemistry, chemically synthesized sugar seems likely to be common, particularly for smaller habitats and spacecraft without the room for a big hydroponics installation.
Sugar is also doubtless an incredibly easy bioengineering target. Everything that does photosynthesis makes glucose after all, even if many plants end up polymerizing a lot of it to cellulose or starch. It's can't be hard to modify some algae or bacteria to dump some of it into the water, at which point it's a filter and distill process to recover it.
Old 03-04-2019, 02:02 PM   #22
Black Leviathan

Default Re: Traditonal Belter Cuisine

I think in a world where Gravity isn't a constant fine eating would be food that has individual pieces not suspended in a paste. Frozen meat or fish from larger mammals would be used in upper-class dishes but small meat would be real belter cuisine, Talapia, Guinea Pig, eel. Side dishes would probably include beans and textured soi product that give the food texture without. Again I figure salads would be more coleslaw-like in consistency so that if you lost gravity everything would still sit where it is but the gourmet version would have crisp vegetables and eccentric flavored sauces. I think a lot of good belter cooking would be in proprietary sauce recipes that make the limited palate of foods seem different and flavorful.
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote