Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin

Old 03-29-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
uruca

Default Some questions (Illusion/mommy/transferral/etc)

Can someone please help? I've been playing Munchkin for 5 days nonstop with some friends ( we're totally addicted now lol) but we came across some doubts:

1. Let's say someone use the Mommy card on a lvl 2 monster... So I'm fighting a monster lvl 2 and a lvl 12... If another player uses illusion on the lvl 2 monster to put a, let's say, lvl 20 monster. Am I fighting a 12 and a 20 or the Mommy loses its effect if the lvl 2 disappeared through Illusion?

2. If the bad stuff of a monster doesn't let u use your weapons on the next combat, can you use a cheat card to ignore that and use the weapon?

3. Is there a limit of players on a party? We are playing that u can only have help from one person in a combat, is that correct?

4. Is there a limit of monsters on a combat? If the guy is fighting a drooling slime and I use wandering monster to put king tut... Can someone mate the king tut and another player put the wight brothers (undead) so the guy have to fight 4 monsters?

5. Can I use transferral potion to transfer the monster to myself?

6. What's the duration of a game (avg)? Sometimes playin' with 5 players, we have 3 and a half hour games! That's insane! People get tired of not having multiple chances of winning (we already had a 2 games 6 hours and a half marathon... If ur hand is not that good nor e table it gets really frustrating!) what could be wrong?

Cheers and Thanks for the help! :)

Last edited by uruca; 03-29-2013 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Forgot one question
uruca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #2
MunchkinMan

Default Re: Some questions (Illusion/mommy/transferral/etc)

In the future, please try to limit your threads to one question each with descriptive titles. It helps other members, especially new ones, to search to see if their questions have already been asked and answered. It's okay to group related questions, but we'd prefer unrelated questions have their own threads with descriptive titles that match the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uruca View Post
1. Let's say someone use the Mommy card on a lvl 2 monster... So I'm fighting a monster lvl 2 and a lvl 12... If another player uses illusion on the lvl 2 monster to put a, let's say, lvl 20 monster. Am I fighting a 12 and a 20 or the Mommy loses its effect if the lvl 2 disappeared through Illusion?
Ouch. Mommy stays and it modifies the new Monster. So, you're facing a Level 20 and a Level 30, and each Monster gets the same Monster Enhancers.

Quote:
2. If the bad stuff of a monster doesn't let u use your weapons on the next combat, can you use a cheat card to ignore that and use the weapon?
No. The Cheat! card doesn't override Curses in that way.

Quote:
3. Is there a limit of players on a party? We are playing that u can only have help from one person in a combat, is that correct?
The game says it's designed for 3-6 players, so six players is your expected theoretical party limit, since the "party" is all the players playing. However, as is also stated in the rules, you may only have one helper in combat.

Quote:
4. Is there a limit of monsters on a combat? If the guy is fighting a drooling slime and I use wandering monster to put king tut... Can someone mate the king tut and another player put the wight brothers (undead) so the guy have to fight 4 monsters?
There is no theoretical limit.

Quote:
5. Can I use transferral potion to transfer the monster to myself?
As long as it wasn't your combat to begin with, Transferral Potion can be used to "steal" the combat for yourself.
MiB #1029
MunchkinMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:42 AM   #3
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

Quote:
6. What's the duration of a game (avg)? Sometimes playin' with 5 players, we have 3 and a half hour games! That's insane! People get tired of not having multiple chances of winning (we already had a 2 games 6 hours and a half marathon... If ur hand is not that good nor e table it gets really frustrating!) what could be wrong?
Based on some of your earlier questions, I'm betting that y'all are screwing with each other right out of the gate. That will usually make for a longer game. If you hold off until players start getting into the Level 6 or 7 area, I expect things will go much quicker for you.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:56 AM   #4
bonetm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
Ouch. Mommy stays and it modifies the new Monster. So, you're facing a Level 20 and a Level 30, and each Monster gets the same Monster Enhancers.
Hnn, why is that? Illusion say all cards used to modify the monster are discarded as well. I'm noting that it doesn't say "Monster Enhancers", so I think that would apply to Mommy as well. No?
MiB: #1602
bonetm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #5
cartmanbeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonetm View Post
Hnn, why is that? Illusion say all cards used to modify the monster are discarded as well. I'm noting that it doesn't say "Monster Enhancers", so I think that would apply to Mommy as well. No?
I think it's because the Mommy card counts as a new monster, so it's no longer modifying the original monster it was played on.
cartmanbeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:51 PM   #6
MunchkinMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartmanbeck View Post
I think it's because the Mommy card counts as a new monster, so it's no longer modifying the original monster it was played on.
Yup. It's like Mate, and that's covered in this post: http://forums.sjgames.com/showpost.p...58&postcount=2
MiB #1029
Old 03-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #7
uruca

I didn't know about the multiple questions thread! Sorry, won't do it again. And thanks everyone for the quick responses.

About the Mommy card, why a lvl 20 and a lvl 30? The Mommy card says that u can use it only on a monster lvl 5 or below, that's why I'm asking if the lvl 12 monster stays in play if the lvl 2 is replaced.

And I second bonetm, why does the card keep the enhancers if the illusion discard 'em?

Thanks MunchkinMan, Andrew and everyone for these lightning speed clarifications!
Old 03-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #8
uruca

Quote:
Originally Posted by MunchkinMan View Post
There is no theoretical limit.
Is there a practical limit? Because people already won games in my party because I couldn't put a monster with wandering monster if a Mate was played on the active monster! I wanna know if there's a common sense or something like that for us to use.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
StormCrow42

Quote:
Is there a practical limit? Because people already won games in my party because I couldn't put a monster with wandering monster if a Mate was played on the active monster! I wanna know if there's a common sense or something like that for us to use.
There is no rule that says you couldn't have played a Wandering Monster in that situation. You can add as many monsters to a combat as you have legal means to add (Wandering Monster, extra undead/sharks/bats/santa monsters, And His Little Friends, etc). Of course eventually everyone is going to be out of cards.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
MunchkinMan

Quote:
I didn't know about the multiple questions thread! Sorry, won't do it again. And thanks everyone for the quick responses.
We ask at the end of the first post in the thread entitled "Critical Links & Useful Information -- READ ME FIRST!!!"

Quote:
About the Mommy card, why a lvl 20 and a lvl 30? The Mommy card says that u can use it only on a monster lvl 5 or below, that's why I'm asking if the lvl 12 monster stays in play if the lvl 2 is replaced.
Mommy says it can't be played on a card that is above Level 5, or does not have Baby on it. It was legally played on a Level 2 Monster. Just because the Level 2 Monster changed into something else doesn't affect how Mommy was played. And, yes, I'm aggressively emphasizing "played," since that is the word on the Mommy card.
MiB #1029

Tags
cheat, illusion, mommy, transferal potion