Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-16-2010, 03:09 AM   #21
Inquisitive Raven

Default Re: New and Custom Quirks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciaran_skye View Post

Heavy Menses - Character has especially painful and messy menstrual periods. The character takes -1 on most activities to discomfort, cramping, anemia, mood-swings, etc. (Note, this represents the kind of menstrual period that forces many women to take off of work or school for bed rest and eventually, seek out long-term hormonal birth control.)
I'm not sure this is a Quirk. Certainly when it gets to the point of causing HP loss, it qualifies as a full blown Disadvantage worth at least -5 points. I've known at least a couple of women who had it that bad. (Not me, thank FSM; and I've had some miserable painful periods) Needless to say, they got the hormonal birth control sooner rather than later, possibly trading the Heavy Menses for a Dependency. Or I suppose you could call the birth control a Mitigator. GM call, I guess.
Inquisitive Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #22
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquisitive Raven View Post
I'm not sure this is a Quirk. Certainly when it gets to the point of causing HP loss, it qualifies as a full blown Disadvantage worth at least -5 points. I've known at least a couple of women who had it that bad. (Not me, thank FSM; and I've had some miserable painful periods) Needless to say, they got the hormonal birth control sooner rather than later, possibly trading the Heavy Menses for a Dependency. Or I suppose you could call the birth control a Mitigator. GM call, I guess.
Part of why I consider it a Quirk is because while it's a pretty nasty penalty, it's also only for a few days out of a month so adventuring could be avoided with careful planning.

My sister is actually the one who'd have it that bad, and she's been on birth control since she was like 15 or so. I'd consider the birth control to be a Mitigator but I'd still call it a quirk unless it was one of those long-term implantable types simply because it's so easy to lose track of taking The Pill.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:12 AM   #23
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Part of why I consider it a Quirk is because while it's a pretty nasty penalty, it's also only for a few days out of a month so adventuring could be avoided with careful planning.

My sister is actually the one who'd have it that bad, and she's been on birth control since she was like 15 or so. I'd consider the birth control to be a Mitigator but I'd still call it a quirk unless it was one of those long-term implantable types simply because it's so easy to lose track of taking The Pill.
Well, it could end up being a quirk, but the long-winded build is Chronic Pain with an Accessibility (see Update and IIRC Fantasy for examples).
Old 08-16-2010, 10:10 AM   #24
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky_molokh View Post
Well, it could end up being a quirk, but the long-winded build is Chronic Pain with an Accessibility (see Update and IIRC Fantasy for examples).
Taking a look at Chronic Pain it might end up hovering around -5 to -10 as an ongoing, constant condition* but the whole "a few days a month" heavily mitigate it.

* Which for some women with hormonal problems it is and it would effectively lead to things like low HT, Unfit, etc. I've met women who have a menses for weeks at a time and it, and the underlying cause, do terrible things to their bodies.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #25
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
I knew there was something I missed! Yes, Atheist should be in there, too. Perhaps...

Atheist. You believe there is no higher being, and believe that those who do are deluding themselves or have come to rely on the crutch of organized religion.

Or something of that nature. Anyone care to take a stab at it?
How about just "You believe there is no higher being"?
Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #26
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastur View Post
Atheist: You do not believe in any claims of a higher power

an agnostic seems to me just a kind of atheist.
Not really. Agnosticism is the only completely provable position. If you make any other commitments you must at least partly accept extrarational justifications.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:15 AM   #27
aesir23

Quote:
Always carries a weapon, even if it's just a knife. - Actually fairly common among some of my more martial character concepts.
This seems more like a Standard Operating Procedure Perk than a Quirk. It's not really disadvantageous unless you have to spend a lot of your time in airports, schools, and government buildings.

Definitely not worth any points in a DF campaign.
aesir23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 10:18 AM   #28
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aesir23 View Post
This seems more like a Standard Operating Procedure Perk than a Quirk. It's not really disadvantageous unless you have to spend a lot of your time in airports, schools, and government buildings.

Definitely not worth any points in a DF campaign.
It could be CoH, depending on a culture. I thought I read somewhere that Sikhs always went armed.
Old 08-16-2010, 10:31 AM   #29
jason taylor

Makes obscure movie quotes(several characters I've seen)

Makes obscure historical references even in uninitiated company(me)

Gentile who keeps kosher(one of my characters IMTU; her father worked for a Jewish trading clan that insisted that gentile hirelings do this)

Deadpan Snarker

Likes oral tales better then written

Obsesses about computer trivia

Rich yet miserly: One warlord in The Gryphons Skull had all of Egypt under his thumb yet bargained like a townsman. Alternatively this could be Bargains out of habit, or bargains for fun(I have sometimes thought that if I ever visited the Middle East I would try it just for atmosphere's sake, and then leave a large tip to make up for any unlikely success because if I can afford the plane ticket I don't need to bargain).

Makes constant chess references.
Old 08-16-2010, 01:00 PM   #30
Blood Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermancer2k1 View Post
Nervous ranter. Launches into a stream-of-consciousness rant when nervous or afraid.
Got this one hard.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quirks