Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #11
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: New and Custom Quirks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastur View Post
Atheist: You do not believe in any claims of a higher power

an agnostic seems to me just a kind of atheist.
What a wonderful way to start an argument from both groups.
I am an atheist. I reject religious claims as silly.
My brother, the agnostic, believes that whatever the truth is is unknowable, and rejects all absolute claims as silly.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:23 PM   #12
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Immodest - You have no sense of modesty. This commonly means you walk around the house completely naked, talk crudely, etc, whenever you have the opportunity. You have enough common sense in order to "fake" modesty around others; if you do not, have this common sense, consider taking Odious Personal Habits instead.

Oh, Johan, do you have names for your quirks above?
As a child I swore that I would never lounge around the house in my underwear.

My, how times change after a couple of decades, and living only with my girlfriend.
I'll put on pants to answer the door, but I take them off once they leave. :)
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 10:36 PM   #13
Langy

Quote:

My, how times change after a couple of decades, and living only with my girlfriend.
I hear that, though that's more of a 'it's way too bloody hot to wear pants' issue than anything else.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #14
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hastur View Post
Atheist: You do not believe in any claims of a higher power

an agnostic seems to me just a kind of atheist.
What a wonderful way to start an argument from both groups.
I am an atheist. I reject religious claims as silly.
My brother, the agnostic, believes that whatever the truth is is unknowable, and rejects all absolute claims as silly.
Easy there, you two. Let's not turn this into a debate between the meanings of "Agnostic" and "Atheist", but at least recognize that the two are distinct.

Can we agree that Devout Believer, Agnostic, and Atheist are all distinct quirks that help define someone's religious beliefs, and not quibble over precise definitions?

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 04:51 AM   #15
weby

Petty evil: Does small evil things like pull legs of insects(causing a very occasional -1 reaction penalty)

Worrier: Did I actually lock the door? Did I turn the stove off? Do we have enough food for everyone on the Picknick? and so on. Causes many things to take more time for the extra checks, but likely will grant a bonus on checks to remeber having done something. (Note that this is different from carefull, as has nothing to do with actual danger, just general prepardness)
weby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 02:39 PM   #16
cybermancer2k1

Annoying Gamer. You don't play any game to win; you play in such a fashion as to keep all of your opponents from winning. (My ex-wife had this one).

Won't meet anyone's eyes. Might be a mild form of Autism/Asperger's, or just a form of shyness, but you won't look anyone in the eye during conversation, although you have no trouble carrying on the conversation.

Nervous ranter. Launches into a stream-of-consciousness rant when nervous or afraid.
Old 08-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #17
vicky_molokh
GURPS FAQ Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrock1031 View Post
Easy there, you two. Let's not turn this into a debate between the meanings of "Agnostic" and "Atheist", but at least recognize that the two are distinct.

Can we agree that Devout Believer, Agnostic, and Atheist are all distinct quirks that help define someone's religious beliefs, and not quibble over precise definitions?
http://xkcd.com/774/

Sorry, couldn't resist. It's pretty on-topic, even though not to the Eye Hit Location extent.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:18 PM   #18
Stupid Jedi

Anti-theist: You consider organized religion a destructive force. Quirk level Intolerance to organized religion.
Old 08-15-2010, 08:17 PM   #19
Inquisitive Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybermancer2k1 View Post
Won't meet anyone's eyes. Might be a mild form of Autism/Asperger's, or just a form of shyness, but you won't look anyone in the eye during conversation, although you have no trouble carrying on the conversation.
This one is at least somewhat culture bound. Americans expect people to look them in the eye during conversation. In some other cultures, if there's a difference in status, the lower status person is expected to keep their eyes down.

Last edited by Inquisitive Raven; 08-15-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: got rid of extraneous character
Inquisitive Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:09 PM   #20
panton41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post

"There are times when I am happy, and there are times when I am wearing pants." - Steve Griffith

I love highly creative, very descriptive Quirks.

From a High Elf Wizard Dungeon Fantasy NPC named Giltalf:

Cocktease - You don't just enjoy flirting, but outright sexual innuendo, but mean nothing of it. A Quirk-level version of "Compulsive Sexual Activity" from the Space Exploration Pyramid or Odious Personal Habit.

Enjoys using magic in everyday live, even Explosive Fireball - "To some I am called... Tim..."

Total Bitch - Just what the name says.

From Tabbi, a DF Cat Folk Scout:

Keeps a collection of "prize" small-animal skulls and enjoys showing them off.

Talks very very quickly when excited. - When excited - from combat or "Oh boy new shiny!" - get a -1 on skill rolls involving speaking.

When not needing to be quiet sings loudly while traveling.

From Simon Simonov - DF Human Cleric:

Falstaffian - Acts brave and boasts, but runs away from a fight. Think about Sir John Falstaff from Henry IV Part I and II and Merry Wives of Windsor.

Thinks member of the First Church of Tyr (Non-reformed) are from an "Evil Religion". - The character is a Cleric of the First Church of Try (Reformed). Live in a small town in the right parts of the United States and it makes perfect sense.

Sings operatically when he fights. - Wager is a favorite.

From Susanne - Vulpid (fox-person) Kitchen girl:

Heavy Menses - Character has especially painful and messy menstrual periods. The character takes -1 on most activities to discomfort, cramping, anemia, mood-swings, etc. (Note, this represents the kind of menstrual period that forces many women to take off of work or school for bed rest and eventually, seek out long-term hormonal birth control.)

From Tamari - Vulpid Huntsman (ranger):

Not pacifist, but prefers killing animals. In certain situations (GM's decision) character might hesitate before attacking another sapient being.

Always carries a weapon, even if it's just a knife. - Actually fairly common among some of my more martial character concepts.

Ely - Human Tribal "Gatherer":

Talks about herself a lot in the third-person - Bob Dole, Bob Dole, Bob Dole...

Is unaware of her Appearance - Character is Beautiful, but doesn't exploit it nor understand why she consistently get good reactions and extra attention. Out of genre, but like the cliche 80s teen/college movie nerd girl who is a knockout and gets tons of attention, but can't understand why.

Brian - Human Newspaperman:

Easily Seduced - Has a -2 to Will rolls to resist seduction attempts.

Quirks: Doesn't proofread forum posts before clicking "Submit". [-1]

Quote:
"My mace speaks Goblin." Antoni Ten Monros
panton41 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quirks