Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 11-03-2018, 12:09 PM   #11
Shadekeep

Default Re: The Book of Unlife

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarg View Post
Surprisingly, that worked on me. I'd be willing to proof and do some limited playtesting.

Other placed I'd try would include the braniac TFT email list, and the TFT Discord server, and the various old-school players who have fled or been banished from here.
Many thanks, both for volunteering and for the suggestions. I know Joe Hartley from the old days (I created the megahex background for his website), and I forgot about the Discord. Cheers!
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 07:05 AM   #12
Shadekeep

I've sent out the link to the book to the volunteer reviewers. If anyone else wants to chip in, please let me know.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:37 PM   #13
Mike P.

Finding this thread late. I would be willing to proofread and playtest if you still need help.
Mike P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2018, 07:17 AM   #14
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
Finding this thread late. I would be willing to proofread and playtest if you still need help.
Sure thing! I've PM'd the link over to you. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2018, 07:56 PM   #15
JohnPaulB

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
My (loose) understanding is that digital reproductions of super old art, like Durer drawings, is free to use as you please. Is that true? I really don't need much for any one of my supplements, as I'm organizing them into ~5-10 page, punchy things, each centered on a very focused theme. So, 2-3 pieces to break up the wall of text is all I need for any one of these things.
As I recall, copyright in the US is 75 years, which would put books and magazines printed before 1940 in the public domain. (Note: I am not a lawyer.)

If you can get ahold of some digital images of books printed then, it might open up more than just Durer style drawings.

This opens up practically the entire PULP era.

Fantasy Chess: A chess game with combat.
Don't just take the square, Fight for it!
https://www.shadowhex.com
JohnPaulB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 08:27 PM   #16
larsdangly

Good advice!
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 03:55 PM   #17
JLV

Actually, it's NOT good advice.

Google "US Copyright Law" and you'll find that works are normally protected for "70 years AFTER THE AUTHOR'S DEATH," (and the example they use is a piece of music). Meaning works done in 1923 or earlier are "generally" in the public domain -- note however that if someone (an heir or other legal owner of the copyright) renewed the Copyright, that is not necessarily true. In short, you need to research EACH INDIVIDUAL thing you are thinking about using in your published works.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:14 AM   #18
Shadekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Actually, it's NOT good advice.

Google "US Copyright Law" and you'll find that works are normally protected for "70 years AFTER THE AUTHOR'S DEATH," (and the example they use is a piece of music). Meaning works done in 1923 or earlier are "generally" in the public domain -- note however that if someone (an heir or other legal owner of the copyright) renewed the Copyright, that is not necessarily true. In short, you need to research EACH INDIVIDUAL thing you are thinking about using in your published works.
Correct. Copyright law is a tangled mess here in The States thanks to a few very powerful companies whose works keep nearing the cut-off. It's best not to assume anything is out of copyright without a little checking. And even some of the sources of copyright-free art have limitations, such as Dover Publications books which often include a proviso about how many pieces from any one book you can use.
Old 12-15-2018, 04:18 PM   #19
hcobb

Ran the numbers on my Litch example and found that he can't be an average wizard because he wouldn't gain enough XP before he started to age out.

I guess only the great wizards die young and stick around as undead casters.

http://www.hcobb.com/tft/house_rules.html#Zombies
Old 03-26-2019, 08:48 AM   #20
Shadekeep

More info about the book is up on my site now:

http://shadekeep.com/book-unlife.html