Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 09-17-2010, 11:34 AM   #1
DrRocket

Default Cleric Spells not allowing for Advantage

I need some advise on what settings to switch to on, or what files to add to my start-up or what flags, or whatever.

Sometime ago, I had made a priestess, who had bought an advantage that for one allowed her to cast upto a certain level of difficulty clerical spells, in her case she bought to level 3, which just about lets her acquire and cast any clerical spell in the game. I am lead to understand that those 3 levels of that advantage is added to that spell's base skill.

When I look at the spell portion of my Character's assistant, it fails to recognize this +3 bonus to skill, what do I need to do to fix this?

DrRocket
DrRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 06:22 PM   #2
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.
Default Re: Cleric Spells not allowing for Advantage

The advantage Power Investiture gives a bonus to Clerical spells. The GURPS Basic Set 4th Ed.--Characters.gdf data file includes some basic Clerical spells, placed in the ~Clerical spell category/college. If you load the GURPS Magic 4e - Clerical Magic.gdf data file you'll have access to all Clerical spells in the ~Clerical college.
Kaboom-baya.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #3
DrRocket

Thank you...

But those files were loaded all along, I did a delve on the "needs" for the cleric spells, and noticed they were calling for Magery instead of Power Investiture, how do I fix that?

DrRocket
Old 09-18-2010, 06:38 PM   #4
Oni5115

You seem to be accessing the Mage versions of the spells. You should go to the top and use the drop town to select ~Clerical (or ~Clerical - [College Name]) and it will then be filtered to only clerical spells.

If you are using Dungeon Fantasy data files it become a nightmare since there are now dozens of ~Domain and ~Domain - College lines. The stupid tilde causes problems while trying to just type in the domain or college. =/

Anyways, if the spell is not listed under clerical or the proper domain/college or whatever then you actually have to edit the spells.
  1. Add the spell, but hit cancel. The spell should have a red "P" by it and the prerequisites have not been added.
  2. Hit the edit button.
  3. Open the full edit window.
  4. cat - change all references of domain to what you want.
  5. needs - repeat above
  6. description - repeat above.

At least that is what I am having to do to make a customized spell list for my Cat-Folk cleric. Although I am strongly considering just making a custom data file to save time.
Oni5115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:38 AM   #5
DrRocket

Thank you, will try that!