Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-02-2007, 08:44 AM   #31
Kirby

Default Re: Essential Skills

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston
Philosophy: Anyone ever roll on Philosophy? In the name of all that is sophistic...why? You can't even make a job roll with Philosophy.
Heh heh. Almost, but not entirely true.

I hereby repeat what others have said, and additionally make the point that GURPS Philosophy skill bears virtually no resemblance to the real thing, unless ethics is the only philosophical subject out there. C'est la, um, jeu.

--K
Kirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #32
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molokh

I've had a situation when philosophy was essentially a political influence skill - "I do live up to the expectations of (Faction W), by doing X, Y and Z. Can you say the same? No? Then it is in the interest of all (Faction W people) to follow my orders."
Heh, it's funny you should mention that. I've GMed two different PCs who had Philosophy (Marxist) and used it in exactly that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz

Pretty much every skill that I don't think brings fun to the game but tidius rolls and all skills that overlap.

For instance we got Accounting, Economics, Administration, Market Analysis and Merchant all covering "something about money". I don't think anyone would ever need that amount of detail for a roll that evolves something to do with money.
Except that GURPS is a generic, universal game. To live up to its name, it has to support an "adventures in high finance" game (heh, you forgot the Finance skill) using the same core rules that it uses for every other genre. That's what the game promises. So while it's fair to say, "That's a lot of business skills for my campaign . . .," it isn't valid to continue, ". . . so GURPS has too many skills." The correct conclusion is ". . . so I should shorten the skill list for my campaign." GURPS has to support all kinds of campaigns, and it wouldn't be able to do that if, say, the money skills couldn't distinguish a banker from a day trader from a CEO, or if the medical skills couldn't distinguish an EMT from a nurse from a physician (so much for games similar to ER, Grey's Anatomy, and House).
Kromm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:48 PM   #33
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Except that GURPS is a generic, universal game. To live up to its name, it has to support an "adventures in high finance" game (heh, you forgot the Finance skill) using the same core rules that it uses for every other genre. That's what the game promises. So while it's fair to say, "That's a lot of business skills for my campaign . . .," it isn't valid to continue, ". . . so GURPS has too many skills." The correct conclusion is ". . . so I should shorten the skill list for my campaign." GURPS has to support all kinds of campaigns, and it wouldn't be able to do that if, say, the money skills couldn't distinguish a banker from a day trader from a CEO, or if the medical skills couldn't distinguish an EMT from a nurse from a physician (so much for games similar to ER, Grey's Anatomy, and House).
There's the rub. If you don't want to use all the skills provided, it's up to you (as GM) to create a "What's Available List" for your game. Not a big deal, as I see it (I'd consider it just another part of prep time), but I can see how it might be considered tedious by others. OTOH, relying on the common sense of your players, and not worrying too much about minor details, can go a long way IME.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:59 PM   #34
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston
Computer Hacking. No, I'm serious. I consider Computer Hacking to be a totally redundant skill. If you didn't have it you'd just be rolling on Computer Operation.
I would never let a PC roll Computer Operation to sit down at a random terminal in the Pentagon and somehow log in as an admin. I don't really see how you could see the two skills as equivalent. Computer Hacking is the skill that lets you connect your Powerbook to the alien mothership's mainframe despite the completely alien advanced technology and deliver the instant destruction virus that overcomes all security and spreads through the entire network. Computer Operation lets you check your email from the Public Library. Not equivalent.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:22 PM   #35
jspade

IMO, a default on Computer Operation lets you check your mail from the public library. Actual Computer Operation lets you sit down at the Pentagon workstation that Colonel Bozo just walked off and left unlocked and exploit his access; it also lets you (with suitable modifiers) hijack a WiFi session and impersonate Colonel Bozo from your laptop. Computer Hacking lets you bypass any security by either typing "override" or hitting three keys (not to include the spacebar or enter, ever).
Old 07-02-2007, 01:26 PM   #36
Blood Legend

In ancient setting, the Knife skill. In a modern setting Pistol skill.

Of all the weapons, in a setting, these two are probably the most common. Knives aren't terribly illegal to carry around and pistols dont require a whole lot of effort to walk around with one.

They may not be the best weapon of choice for the situation, but foolish is the man who goes barehanded against someone who knows what he's doing. It's a step up, and an easy one at that.

"This is the sort of relatively small error that destroys planetary probes." ~Bruno
Blood Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:27 PM   #37
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspade
Actual Computer Operation lets you sit down at the Pentagon workstation that Colonel Bozo just walked off and left unlocked
This is impossible with any actual security. Even on a low security government computer he'd have to have left his Military ID behind, which isn't likely.
Quote:
and exploit his access; it also lets you (with suitable modifiers) hijack a WiFi session and impersonate Colonel Bozo from your laptop.
Not on any secure network.

Are you saying that Computer Hacking is useless because if no one takes it then the GM is going to make the target systems completely unsecured?
Old 07-02-2007, 01:45 PM   #38
Extrarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
This is impossible with any actual security. Even on a low security government computer he'd have to have left his Military ID behind, which isn't likely.[...]
Actual classified information is protected by things as silly as "your badge opens this door, but don't go in there, and if you do, don't take cameras or USB drives" and such measures pass government inspections. A top secret military with biometrics and RFID cards for every user can't protect information that leaves the facility, and such information might be easily found in a not-really-secure place.
Using windows (or linux) user permissions to "protect" access to sensitive information wouldn't surprise me at all.

Last edited by Extrarius; 07-02-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Extrarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:42 AM   #39
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extrarius
Actual classified information is protected by things as silly as "your badge opens this door, but don't go in there, and if you do, don't take cameras or USB drives" and such measures pass government inspections. A top secret military with biometrics and RFID cards for every user can't protect information that leaves the facility, and such information might be easily found in a not-really-secure place.
Using windows (or linux) user permissions to "protect" access to sensitive information wouldn't surprise me at all.
So don't take Computer Hacking because if you don't the GM will be forced to make the opposition stupid? Shouldn't this apply to lots of skills? Why take Observation? If you don't the enemy will probably just post their sentry schedule on the local bar's bulletin board.
Old 07-03-2007, 12:46 AM   #40
ziresta

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
If you don't the enemy will probably just post their sentry schedule on the local bar's bulletin board.
I want to make an enemy group that does that now. That is just SUCH an awesome idea (for the right type of not-remotely serious game, obviously.)

Tags
essential skill, skills