Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-11-2015, 12:02 PM   #11
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: [MH] Cyberpunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Most people I know are getting a gig or more, so I'd imagine the top rate even today is above that.

Or just change the "M" to a "T" . . .
Where do you live? A gig is high around here, and we have a fair tech industry here. I do get 5mbps for installation cost only, so 10 really isn't that high.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:17 PM   #12
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Where do you live? A gig is high around here, and we have a fair tech industry here. I do get 5mbps for installation cost only, so 10 really isn't that high.
Chattanooga. One of the reasons I moved up here is because the biggest local provider (EPB) is one of the fastest in the nation.

At any rate, I would assume that in a cyberpunk world, where computers, computing, etc., are supposed to be insanely well-developed (to the point of interacting online via VR rather than TCP/IP), the average connection speed will be incredibly high. If someone told me that such a world had speeds "up to 10M/s," it would break my suspension of disbelief. So either handwave and obfuscate it, or crank it up significantly.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 12:24 PM   #13
Anders

How much bandwidth would you need for VR anyway? I've found estimates on the net for how much information the brain processes per second, but they range from 11 million to 11 trillion bits per second. Hmm...
Old 04-11-2015, 05:46 PM   #14
scc

About the 10Mbit/s thing, the US government is looking at upping a minimal service plan for the poor, either to 10Mbit/s or FROM 10Mbit/s. But the reason it seems slow is because there's this belief that you need to spend the entire day watching YouTube
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 07:06 PM   #15
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyman View Post
Pyramid #3/73: Monster Hunters II has an article, "Monster Hunters 2043: Agents of ORCID", that explicitly marries MH with Cyberworld. It's at least a worthwhile starting point for your own ruminations, even if you don't want to use it as-is.
Quote:
Seconded on the "Agents of ORCID" article; it's a must-read for what you're considering. Also, there may be something coming out in the future that supports adding technological/scientific* flavor to everything from monsters to character templates to RPM itself. Once available, I'd suggest using that -- unless the idea was to do the Shadowrun "cyberpunk + obvious magic" thing.

* Well, pseudo-scientific, if we're being honest.
Agreed. The author and I have some ideas we'd like to work on together, but we've both been swamped. Agents of ORCID is a fantastic read and really lays down how MH might work in a cyberpunk setting. Both he and I collaborated (along with every other author in the book except for Hans) on how the various articles might cross-pollinate with my own in the Designer's Notes.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:43 PM   #16
Xplo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Not going for the Shadowpunk feel. Not in Cyberworld.

And could this be a hint of things to come? Mister PK, I think you're trying to seduce me... into buying your stuff.
If so, he's doing a lousy job, because you still can't buy what you think he's selling!
Xplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 01:56 AM   #17
Langy

Quote:
Most people I know are getting a gig or more, so I'd imagine the top rate even today is above that.

Or just change the "M" to a "T" . . .
The fastest residential rates available in the US very significantly depending upon location. 1 Gb/s is in no way 'normal'; there are only a very few limited areas where that rate is available. Typical 'fastest available residential rate' is probably closer to a tenth of that or less.

There are a few places with slightly faster residential rates available, around 2 Gb/s or so, but that's even rarer (and more expensive) than the 1 Gb/s offerings.

But yeah, in a cyberpunk world I'd assume that rates would increase - unless we're talking 'current day is cyberpunk' or similar.
Langy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:33 AM   #18
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
The fastest residential rates available in the US very significantly depending upon location. 1 Gb/s is in no way 'normal'; there are only a very few limited areas where that rate is available. Typical 'fastest available residential rate' is probably closer to a tenth of that or less.

There are a few places with slightly faster residential rates available, around 2 Gb/s or so, but that's even rarer (and more expensive) than the 1 Gb/s offerings.

But yeah, in a cyberpunk world I'd assume that rates would increase - unless we're talking 'current day is cyberpunk' or similar.
Not really. I read an article on this, and in places where you can get 1G/s, from say Google Fiber, you can't USE it because few places are geared towards people being able to download that fast
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:35 AM   #19
Anders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplo View Post
If so, he's doing a lousy job, because you still can't buy what you think he's selling!
No.. he's creating a need. Haven't you seen 'Wolf of Wall Street'? PK is more of a panther, of course.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:37 AM   #20
Sassy Psionic Space Squid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langy View Post
Around 10 Mbits/s is actually the average in the US. It ranks really low compared to other countries. South Korea unsurprisingly ranks the highest by a long shot.
Sassy Psionic Space Squid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cyberworld, monster hunters