Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-04-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
samd6

Default Need help converting DtD to GURPS

Dungeons the Dragoning can be found here

My major problem right now is finding what some appropriate limitations and enhancements are.

What is fair pricing for "X times a scene"? Or would it be better to go with recharge, and if so, what should the recharge be?

For ER, what bonus should "not tied to a power source" be?

I know that I can't get all the mechanics of the game converted, but I'd like to try for most of them
samd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
gilbertocarlos

Default Re: Need help converting DtD to GURPS

First tell us what the power is.
gilbertocarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Refplace

Glanced at the file but too long for a full read as it doesn't look worthwhile as a game system.
X times a scene, look at luck and Serendipity for your base line.
It may vary from campaign to campaign as it can depend on the definitions of a scene and how long you play one out.

I do not like powers without a special effect.
Normally you could build ER as biological for example and call it physical endurance and be done. If it can power other things well then are the other things able to use regular FP as well?
If not maybe it should be described as a special power source.
This may or may not warrant a limitation like a power modifier.
If it can power many things and is a Wild power that can not be neutralized I would possibly go with Cosmic +50% but I would be hard pressed to come up with a justification for that in most settings.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd6 View Post
Dungeons the Dragoning can be found here
A basically brand new game in it's 7th edition? This guy needs to chill out a little, I think. The link's not working for me, so I can't really look at it.
Quote:
What is fair pricing for "X times a scene"? Or would it be better to go with recharge, and if so, what should the recharge be?
GURPS doesn't have formal "scenes" or "encounters" and I'm not sure it's a great idea to add them either. GURPS plays nicest with real-world metrics, so instead I'd do X times per minute or 10 minutes or whatever.
Quote:
For ER, what bonus should "not tied to a power source" be?
Isn't that just FP? Do you want FP that can be spent but not drained? That's probably a +0% enhancement.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #5
Ejidoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
A basically brand new game in it's 7th edition? This guy needs to chill out a little, I think. The link's not working for me, so I can't really look at it.
Just from a glance at the title ('Dungeons: The Dragoning: 40,000: 7th Edition') I think the edition number is just part of the general parody.

As for timing 'per scene', the game time enhancement in Powers at least suggests 'uses per day' is roughly similar to 'uses per real-life hour'. You can use that to tune 'uses per scene', based on how long you think a scene should be on average.
Ejidoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #6
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ejidoth View Post
Just from a glance at the title ('Dungeons: The Dragoning: 40,000: 7th Edition') I think the edition number is just part of the general parody.
Yeah, I couldn't tell if it was part of the joke or not. By "chill out" I meant either about laying on the joke too thick, or releasing small revisions as "new editions". Whichever. The blog says it is "the best release yet" which implies some number of earlier versions. It definitely makes me even less interested in it than I was already.
Quote:
As for timing 'per scene', the game time enhancement in Powers at least suggests 'uses per day' is roughly similar to 'uses per real-life hour'. You can use that to tune 'uses per scene', based on how long you think a scene should be on average.
I'm extremely wary of converting indie mechanics directly to GURPS, presumably you are converting in the first place because you like GURPS better than the indie system. Having formal "scenes" is most likely a result of the overall design philosophy that you are trying to get away from, so why convert it?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:20 PM   #7
samd6

The reason why I wanted a good baseline for conversion of X times a scene is that many powers in this game (Dark Burst, Fire Breath, Warp Step to name a few) have this limitation. This keeps the players from being able to spam their abilities. Upon further consideration, I think that 15 second recharge might work, but I want to know what the hivemind thinks the discount for Recharge: ~5 minutes should be.

The ER that I'm trying to work with is for the Kobolds. I'm trying to set it up so they have a pool of extra FP, but need to pay HP to gain access. ER sounds like it would work the best.

Yes, the 7th edition is part of the joke (though I maintain that the real joke is that this is a decent and playable game) He's actually on revision 1.5 for the core book, last time anyone heard from him.

One of the main reasons I'm converting to GURPS is so that I won't need to spend a ton of time converting stuff to DtD. Also because the ship-building and wealth/signature gear is pretty screwed up.

If you guy's want, I can post what little conversion I have right now.
samd6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by samd6 View Post
The reason why I wanted a good baseline for conversion of X times a scene is that many powers in this game (Dark Burst, Fire Breath, Warp Step to name a few) have this limitation.
GURPS doesn't have formal "scenes" and generally avoids meta-time (except for Luck which uses realtime and various traits that operate per-session or adventure). You'd have to import the definition of "scene" for scene based mechanics to make sense and I just don't see the necessity. Note that the 3e WoD conversions didn't do this, even though the source material has formal scenes.
Quote:
Upon further consideration, I think that 15 second recharge might work, but I want to know what the hivemind thinks the discount for Recharge: ~5 minutes should be.
-25% works well for recharge times between 15 seconds and an hour.
Quote:
The ER that I'm trying to work with is for the Kobolds. I'm trying to set it up so they have a pool of extra FP, but need to pay HP to gain access. ER sounds like it would work the best.
Can you explain how you want it to work in more detail? 1 HP:1 FP? Or something else?

Last edited by sir_pudding; 06-04-2012 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Fixed typo
Old 06-04-2012, 01:41 PM   #9
the_matrix_walker

This board is fantastic for getting help with just this sort of project. There are a good many dedicated geeks ready to flex their gaming muscles and help you work out what you need.

The trick is, asking the right questions! The details are immensely important for this.

As for a 5 minute recharge, (p. B115) "15 seconds (or 5 times the time required to use
the ability, if longer) is -20%, and one hour (or 10 times the time required to
use the ability, if longer) is -30%." So -25% seems fair enough.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #10
Bruno

D&D 4e uses the word "Encounter" but when hard pressed, the game defines it as "and/or 5 game minutes, whichever". Which our group promptly converted over to using as the actual meaning of "Encounter", just like a Turn is a fancy word for 6 seconds (or whatever it is these days in D&D).

I'm pretty sure Vampire and co. had a rough guideline for a "scene" lurking in the rules somewhere on the order of 5-10 minutes. There might be one in DtD somewhere, if not, I'd treat it as either 5 or 10 minutes as that seems in the right ballpark.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement