Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-12-2020, 01:16 AM   #1
Plane

Default Ghostlier Movement

I was looking at the version of Warp on pg 20 of Horror and thinking of ways to enhance it to make it a lot more useful for defensive purposes.

Obviously "while unobserved" is out, you're going to be observed if someone is attacking you!

This appears to ignore the usual "prep time" (0, 1, etc seconds) always taking 1 move maneuver. So I was thinking that you could take "Reflexive" to make that into a free action and have it trigger against surprise attacks?

Time based penalties don't appear to be used at all, the 'usual success roll' is replaced by movement requirements as a "special effect", so in a way you're getting the benefit of No Roll Required (can't fail) without needing to pay for it.

Range Limit -50 still I think means you're limited to 10 yards, but that's all you need to dodge!
Plane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:33 AM   #2
naloth

Default Re: Ghostlier Movement

The answer is simple. Don't use this combination of modifiers (which does have several assumptions) if you want Warp to work like Warp. Use base Warp and add pieces that need to customize it.

Warp already includes a "power dodge" where you teleport out of the way of an attack. You could further limit Warp such that you can only go places where you could move really fast (perhaps -10%). If you want it to function like a "blink" use those modifiers.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 12:00 AM   #3
Kagee

What I understand from your post is, that with your advantage the character would automatically 'ghostly move' out of range of an surprise attack. And that's not balanced. Am I missing something?

I would rather give a character Danger Sense & Luck (Dodge) to achieve this behavior.
Kagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 01:57 PM   #4
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kagee View Post
What I understand from your post is, that with your advantage the character would automatically 'ghostly move' out of range of an surprise attack. And that's not balanced. Am I missing something?
maybe the ban on Reduced Time extends to Reflexive, but automatic dodges already exist with No Roll Required
Old 10-13-2020, 04:15 PM   #5
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane View Post
maybe the ban on Reduced Time extends to Reflexive, but automatic dodges already exist with No Roll Required
How do you put No Roll Required on dodge?
Old 10-13-2020, 08:13 PM   #6
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
How do you put No Roll Required on dodge?
B98's advantage, P101 enhancement. Basically on Warp's success roll, which seems to be used as the dodge roll too, making it equally hard to fast-warp at start of your own turn when dodging nothing, and when trying to out-react some attacker.

Which makes me wonder if that IQ roll could be penalized by Feints/Deceptive Attacks...

and if that's the case, would that mean it also benefits from the Warper having took All-Out Defense, the attacker using Telegraphic Attack, the Warper using Feverish Defense?

How might it work, for example, that a mouse using a -10 Deceptive Attack, could cause the Warp of a dragon to fail? It should really represent "I'm so deceptive you couldn't Warp before I touched you" not "I'm so deceptive, you couldn't Warp at all".

That's why I think using the activation roll as the dodge roll is antiquated, that should just be a standard power dodge, but in deference to how awesome Warp should (used to) be, in addition to adding Talent/Reliable to Basic Speed in the power dodge formula (already legal) also add any FP spent.

- - -

"Cosmic, No die roll required, is strictly forbidden!" is mentioned under Cosmic Active Defenses (PU4p7) so you could never get it for defenses like you can for attacks.
Old 10-13-2020, 08:33 PM   #7
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
B98's advantage, P101 enhancement. Basically on Warp's success roll, which seems to be used as the dodge roll too, making it equally hard to fast-warp at start of your own turn when dodging nothing, and when trying to out-react some attacker.
That seems legit, noting the key fact that Warp dodging has a strict one-blink-per-second rule.
Old 10-13-2020, 09:49 PM   #8
Plane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
That seems legit, noting the key fact that Warp dodging has a strict one-blink-per-second rule.
Much like a power defense, although since it's not technically a power defense I guess you get one of those too, if you have something else like free-action insubstantiality to avoid attacks...

P119 seems to neglect to remind us of the need to use a power dodge. Reflexive instead of Reduced Time just means it works against stuff you're unaware of, but you still roll (at -4)
Old 10-14-2020, 09:18 AM   #9
naloth

Quote:
"Cosmic, No die roll required, is strictly forbidden!" is mentioned under Cosmic Active Defenses (PU4p7) so you could never get it for defenses like you can for attacks.
Because of that sentence I wouldn't allow No Dice roll to apply to any Active Defense.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:43 PM   #10
Mark Skarr
Forum Pervert
(If you have to ask . . .)

Power-Ups 4 Link has a section on page 7 about cosmic active defenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PU4, pg 7
In particular, Cosmic, No die roll required, is strictly forbidden!
Mark Skarr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, places you could climb to, places you could walk to