Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Play By Post

Old 01-02-2015, 04:28 PM   #11
the_matrix_walker

Default Re: Monster Hunters: Justice (OCC)

Marcus Savage

Character Sheet
Spoiler:  
Template:
Curse of the Jiang Shi - 200 Points

Spoiler:  

TAIJUTSU!
Spoiler:  

Dossier in Post 14 below

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 02-09-2015 at 03:02 PM.
the_matrix_walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:29 PM   #12
the_matrix_walker

Hidden Arsenal
Spoiler:  

Basic Equipment
Spoiler:  

Attire
Spoiler:  

Armor & Attire (Signature Gear)
Spoiler:  

Weapons (Signature Gear)
Spoiler:  

Combat Statistics
Spoiler:  

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 03-05-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 10:28 PM   #13
Toptomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Build is 450 points with -60 disadvantage limit. Please note as mental attributes cost more, do not simply take a MH template and add 50 points -- substract cost of Per and Will first.
The Per and Will cost increase in combination with the 10-point reduction in the disadvantage limit make the Crusader, Psi, Sage, Sleuth, Techie, and Witch unplayable as printed without trimming. Is that the intent?

Quote:
IQ, Per, and Will are separate...
Is this because you think IQ is generally undercosted, or because you envision Per and Will being more important than usual in this particular campaign?

Quote:
Indefatigable (can sprint and fight without penalty without spending FP, new trait) is 30 points.
Does this permit unlimited uses of Extra Effort for sprinting and fighting? If not, I'm not sure if this compares at all well with the equivilent point value of extra FP. If so, I think it might be too much.

Quote:
Wild-cards are legal but must be bought at the 12 point level or more.
Would you permit Style!?

Quote:
Hidden Lore (Gates)...
Is purchase of more than one area class permitted? Are Heaven, Hell, and Faerie considered separate planets for this purpose? Is 'the Gate expert' a valid character concept? Are Gates dense enough that a very high effective Hidden Lore (Neighborhood-level Gates) skill can be expected to provide tactically useful teleportation, or is it more of a strategic/logistical 'get from A to B' kind of thing?

Quote:
Individual powers and role of crusader need very solid backstory.
Would an onmyōji with abilities focused mostly on Luck and Serendipity be appropriate?

Quote:
At least something resembling a soul exists in this setting, and binding a corpse to it after it has died definitely damages it.
Damages the *bound* soul, the soul of the necromancer, or both?

Last edited by Toptomcat; 01-02-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Toptomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:51 PM   #14
the_matrix_walker

Marcus Savage Dossier:
Dossier:
Weight: 6'2"
Weight: 185lbs
Hair: Dark Brown (Shaved head)
Eyes: Grey

Fifteen years ago, the Savage family took a vacation in Asia. Michael Savage, father to Marcus, had an interest in anthropology and archeology. While visiting an ancient and thought to be long deserted monastery, he discovered a hidden village forgotten to the world. These aesthetics had sequestered themselves from the world. The locals were alarmed by the newcomers, but they allowed them to stay and see how they lived.

They picked a poor day for a visit however, as shortly after sunset, the village was attacked. Terrible creatures that seemed to somehow change from beast to man decimated the village. A defense was mounted, with many warriors displaying impossible abilities of their own in defense of their village. Michael Savage tried to protect his family and pulled his pistol, but the results were tragic. When a creature reached for Marcus, his mother reached our for him, and his father fired. When she slipped to the ground, killed by her husband's bullet, Michael wavered... When the fighting was over, Marcus was an orphan. He remained in the village, and learned the secrets of the ancient sect who followed "the Art" and battled to forces of darkness, far from the eyes of the world.

Upon reaching manhood and completing his training, Marcus joined the villagers in their defense team. Several years later, he was tragically wounded in battle and dragged away by a Jiang Shi who decided to make him his progeny, to help replenish the numbers lost in battling the villagers. Fortunately, his allies were able to recover him, but the dark forces were already working upon him. The witches and mystics of the village tried their best to reverse the effects of the Jang Shi's work, but they were only partially successful. He found he had still had a hunger, one that could only be satisfied by Chi touched by the supernatural. Despite his not being roused by the chi of the commoners, the mystics themselves and his old friends who had trained with now looked like meals to him. He decided to bid farewell to his master and adoptive family, and left to wander the world and satiate his hunger by seeking out supernaturals who crossed the line and presented a threat to mankind. After years of traveling across Europe, he decided to return to his boyhood home in the United States.

It was not long before he discovered the fight against evil existed even in the city streets of America. One night when facing one of these threats, Marcus crossed paths with a team from Vigilae Luminis (or what have you), who recognized his talents and invited him to join them. He worked with a commando team for some time, until a recent mission when most of the operatives involved were killed. He now takes solo missions from them when called upon, but cannot rely on them for support. Despite being a useful servant, they still see him as a monster.

Marcus has a farmhouse on Richardson Creek, Damascus, OR

When not on the road, Marcus can usually be found working at the junk yard for Henry Mills. Usually he's on assignment from his real job.... Freelance monster hunting for Vigilae Luminis. He actually knows very little about the organization, as they take the "secret" part of secret society very seriously. After assisting them several times, they offered him a retainer and stipend to be available when they need him. His assignments sometimes can last weeks, but Henry has been very understanding ever since the time Marcus rescued him from ghouls.

Former Associates:
Michael and Diana Savage - Parents, Deceased
Xian Cho - Master
Wang Zhū - Fellow Student
Li Qiang - Master sword smith, Forged Jīngshén dāo
Liu Jie Qiang - Surrogate Father

Current Associates:
Betty Tyler - Waitress at the Broken Yolk.
Sam Duke, owner/operator of Duke Hardware.
Mary Davis - Teller at the Damascus Savings and Loan.
Henry Mills - Junkyard owner (Aware of the supernatural).
Demeter Jones - Fellow Hunter, Witch, Worked a skin walker case in Wichita. (non-adept)
Jack Quiggley - Fellow Hunter, Society Member, Commando, Worked a Demonic case in Buffalo.
Martin Willis - Society Contact, delivered four successful contracts.
[/SPOILER]

Last edited by the_matrix_walker; 01-17-2015 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-02-2015, 11:26 PM   #15
Toptomcat

I've been toying with the idea of a Tenshin Shōden Katori Shintō-ryū
guy with both martial-arts chops and limited Magery or Mysticism abilities, since the style is said to have originated in a vision from a god of thunder, fire and swordsmanship, and could easily involve instruction in magic as well as fighting in a MH universe.

Might involve too much trampling on others' niches and violating the informal 'either Wildcards or cool powers' MH design rule, though, which is why I'm considering other concepts.
Old 01-03-2015, 03:22 PM   #16
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

The Disadvantage limit should be -70. I missed the motivatIonal lenses when I counted. Yes, You will have to lower the sage and Mage to work with the per/will rule.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 03:57 PM   #17
the_matrix_walker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
I've been toying with the idea of a Tenshin Shōden Katori Shintō-ryū
guy with both martial-arts chops and limited Magery or Mysticism abilities, since the style is said to have originated in a vision from a god of thunder, fire and swordsmanship, and could easily involve instruction in magic as well as fighting in a MH universe.
Tall order! You'll have to pick a Style from Martial Arts or build one and submit it... I considered asking about an Ultimate Style! but I just assumed that wouldn't fly with our GM, as it's pretty over the top.

Ericthered: If I was wrong to assume that, and an Ultimate Style! (MA Pg. 144) isn't too over the top, I'd gladly pay the 20 point Style Familiarity (All) to switch to it (The caption describes that some Ultimate Styles could include weapons, and I'd be thrilled if it included some traditional weapons, even at some default value)

No offense Toptomcat, but I do have the first foot in the door of this particular niche...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toptomcat View Post
Might involve too much trampling on others' niches and violating the informal 'either Wildcards or cool powers' MH design rule, though, which is why I'm considering other concepts.
That's a good point I forgot to take into account when asking about a curse or Jiang Shi... That possibility is probably mutually exclusive with my Style! If so, human it is!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:51 PM   #18
Skullcrusher

I used the templates and a motivastional lense and the disadavantages come out to be -85 points. Am I doing something wrong?

Preliminary sheet attached.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1N...ew?usp=sharing

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer

Last edited by Skullcrusher; 01-03-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:14 PM   #19
Skullcrusher

Nevermind I figured it out. The charactersheet I posted is gonna change but by a little. Plus I need to add gear.

Randal Kane - Trent Bauer
Skullcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:47 PM   #20
Toptomcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_matrix_walker View Post
No offense Toptomcat, but I do have the first foot in the door of this particular niche...
Hmmm. Point well taken. I remember how you strained and struggled to make your martial-artist concept fit the last MH game.

That leaves the 'Gate expert' and 'lucky onmyōji' concepts. I'd like ericthered's input on the questions I asked about them before I commit to either.

Tags
ghostly movement