Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-30-2012, 05:38 PM   #11
Dammann

Default Re: iPad/iOS GURPS Character Sheet releasing soon - request for weird test characters

I'm looking forward to trying this out!

I'm in a similar situation wrt characters, though. We haven't done much but Space, so I am still learning how Magic works.
Dammann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 06:55 PM   #12
Armin
GCA Prime

Default Re: iPad/iOS GURPS Character Sheet releasing soon - request for weird test characters

Nice project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_McCurdy View Post
Yeah - it was certainly harder to implement than I originally planned, but going the XML export route made things a lot simpler - the GCA native format was a bit too tricky to work with, but I have vague plans for possibly implementing it in future (low priority). The XML export means that I can only access things that are output into XML however, which does limit it a little bit.
I believe the current XML code outputs every tag it finds for all the traits, so I'm not sure if there's more that I can kick out. However, if there is something that GCA knows or displays that isn't in the XML output, I can probably add it for you (of course, people who haven't updated after that point won't export that stuff...).

Armin

(And sorry about the current XML output. I know it's messy and cheats by using CDATA for almost everything.)
Old 04-30-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
Dan_McCurdy

Hi all

On a sad note - I've just been told by Steve Jackson that I am not allowed to release this app - they will soon be changing their policy to make it so that mobile apps can't be produced. I respect this decision, as it is their right as a copyright holder.

I created the app in good faith, based on Steve Jackson Games' own policy on app creation (which originally encouraged them) and now I have a 99% complete app that will never see the light of day. I was originally told by Steve Jackson not to proceed, but I understood this to mean do not sell the app, when in reality it meant don't make it at all.

I am very sorry to have got your hopes up. I'm pretty gutted (it's been a labour of love for me, and has helped me learn the game in much more detail), but I have 100% respect for copyright holders to protect their copyright in any way they see fit so I will not proceed with this project, as it will be taken down from the App Store if it is ever released anyway.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this ? It seems to me like a short-sighted policy change, but I have never created a trademarked work, so don't have any right to comment.

Cheers,

Dan
Dan_McCurdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 07:34 PM   #14
Dan_McCurdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armin View Post
I believe the current XML code outputs every tag it finds for all the traits, so I'm not sure if there's more that I can kick out.
Yup - the XML export was really easy to work with - I never found anything in the GCA that wasn't in the XML. The XML made writing the code really easy !!

Cheers,

Dan
Old 04-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #15
Dammann

That is a drag! Uh, is there any chance of publishing it through SJG? I am far more interested in this sort of thing than a silly old Munchkin counter app.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
Dan_McCurdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dammann View Post
That is a drag! Uh, is there any chance of publishing it through SJG? I am far more interested in this sort of thing than a silly old Munchkin counter app.
No chance of making it official unfortunately. I get the feeling (and this is only guesswork) that there will be an official app at some point. It would make sense since I imagine lots of people would buy it, and I doubt they would want a free app floating around at the same time.

That's pure supposition though so take it with a grain of salt :-)
Old 04-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #17
Dammann

Huh, it would be weird for the lead on GCA to be unaware of that, but maybe there is some sort of NDA that constrained him from mentioning it. I hope you're right. A GCA iPad app would be sweet.

In any event, you have my sympathy for having put so much work into a thing that you cannot distribute.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:30 PM   #18
Dan_McCurdy

Quote:
Huh, it would be weird for the lead on GCA to be unaware of that, but maybe there is some sort of NDA that constrained him from mentioning it. I hope you're right. A GCA iPad app would be sweet.

In any event, you have my sympathy for having put so much work into a thing that you cannot distribute.
Thanks for that, well at least I can still use it for my own games with my buds :-(. Yeah, like I said - I'm just guessing about the reasons for such a firm "no" - but it really could be anything - maybe they just weren't comfortable with losing control of distribution to Apple, since there are Android apps out there that do vaguely similar things and as far as I know they don't go after them. I guess I can sort of understand that.

I for one would buy an iPad GCA (which my app doesn't even vaguely resemble !).
Old 05-01-2012, 12:33 AM   #19
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Huh, it would be weird for the lead on GCA to be unaware of that, but maybe there is some sort of NDA that constrained him from mentioning it.
Note that neither Armin nor I work for SJGames. I am a well paid volunteer and Armin is a sub-contractor. There's no particular reason that Armin would know what might change in SJGames internal policies regarding 3rd party applications other than those involving GCA itself (or, perhaps, another application he might develop; though I don't know what that might be).

Quote:
I hope you're right. A GCA iPad app would be sweet.
AFAIK there is no such app in development, nor is one likely in the near future. That does not mean that there isn't potential for one someday, or that SJGames might not be perusing other avenues for a character creation program for iPad or Android, but I rather doubt it.

More likely they are making this move to defend their trademarks and copyright on the far more valuable Munchkin line. Perhaps they need to prevent distribution of 3rd party apps to be able to control the trademark in Apple's store? I really don't know, that's one for the lawyers to discuss, maybe after the policy is made public. I really hope that this doesn't affect distribution of other 3rd party applications for PC, Mac, or other platforms as I've developed and released a couple I'm rather proud of and would hate to have to pull them down.

Quote:
I'll throw in my sympathy as well. I know exactly how hard it is to develop a program to fruition and then bug check it. That you won't be able to share it just plain sucks.
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 05-01-2012 at 12:36 AM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #20
Onkl

Too bad... I've been waiting for something like this for a long time... and it doesn't seem like SJG will be making any GURPS specific tools besides GCA which is a shame.

At my gaming table, everybody has an iPad or iPhone... we would all buy your App.

Please, please SJG, find a way to release this to us! It's clear und undisputed that you told the coder from the begining that you do not wish to have such an app created. But now that it's nearly done, can't you find a way to release it to us, your customers? Can't you find a way to work together with the Coder? It would be a shame to let an opportunity like this pass...

Cheers

Onkl

Last edited by Onkl; 05-01-2012 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Scratch that! Didn't finish the thread before replying... TOO BAD!
Onkl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gurps 4e, ios, ipad, iphone, ipod