Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Traveller

Old 07-31-2017, 11:50 AM   #11
robkelk
Untitled

Default Re: GURPS Prime Directive Races in an ATU GURPS Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero of Canton View Post
It's shiny, I was askin' if anyone had home-brewed their own versions of the post-TOS Klingons, and other races not included in GURPS Prime Directive. I got my own ideas about what should go where, but seeing what others have cooked up would be of great help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
I don't think it'd be much likelier there but the main Gurps forum might be more on topic.
(does a Tag Search on "star trek")
(looks through the results)

These might be of interest:
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
No longer reading these forums regularly.
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 09:33 PM   #12
Hero of Canton

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelk View Post
(does a Tag Search on "star trek")
(looks through the results)

These might be of interest:
Shiny!

Muchas gracias to both robkelk & captain joy! I'll take it from here.

Hero of Canton
Old 08-02-2017, 10:25 AM   #13
SteveS

Somewhat off topic, I was a small part of the Prime Directive play-test. A GURPS ambassador or evangelist (I forget the official title) ran a session, and we gave our thoughts to him, to forward to the play-test coordinator.

My main problem with it was that Star Trek personal weapons just don't work like gaming weapons. On television, a phaser set to "stun" is a "one hit and you're down" weapon, and set to "kill" it's a "one hit and you're dead" weapon. If you're a regular, "stun" shots hit or miss depending on the dramatic needs of the story, and "kill" shots always miss. If you're a redshirt, both "stun" and "kill" shots usually hit, so it's best not to be a redshirt. If you're an adversary, hits and misses depend on the dramatic needs of the story. And if the episode needs a fight that last longer than a few moments, phasers are absent, impractical, and non-functional, and the fight is settled with fists.

In the play-test version of the game, a phaser set to "stun" was less likely to actually stun someone than fists, and a phaser set to "kill" was about as dangerous as a pocket knife set to "kill". Both points are better able to provide fights that last more than a single accurate shot, which has a bit of dramatic value, but they beg the question of why people would use phasers instead of packing a Taser as a stun weapon and an old-fashioned slug-thrower as a kill weapon. And most important, they just didn't match the feel of Star Trek.

Those were the play-test rules we tested. I don't know whether they were better in the released version.

I'm actually not sure how I'd revise the rules to capture the feeling of the show. Maybe rule that phasers on "stun" get a heavy to-hit penalty shooting at named character, and set to "kill" they always miss named characters. Named adversaries get the same penalty except in the final 15 minutes of the episode. And of course redshirt allies and adversaries face the full danger of the weapons.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 11:21 AM   #14
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Yeah, that's really off-topic. You should probably post this to the regular GURPS forum. The short answer is GURPS Action.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote