Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-17-2011, 11:25 AM   #31
Phil Masters

Default Re: GCA Sheet vs Handwritten Sheet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
That was fixed.
Not, I fear, in my copy. Which claims to be up to date when I check.

Reputation +1, Occasionally (*1/3), Almost Everyone (*1): should be 1 points, GCA charges 2.
Reputation +2, Occasionally (*1/3), Almost Everyone (*1): should be 3 points, GCA charges 4.

The Basic Set errata page says very clearly to drop all fractions (see http://www.sjgames.com/errata/gurps/...acters-3p.html ); earlier editions, now corrected by the errata, said round down; GCA insists on rounding up.

Sorry, but that's still a bug. We can take this discussion to the more appropriate board if you wish...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:51 PM   #32
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Not, I fear, in my copy. Which claims to be up to date when I check.
This bug has been fixed, however it has been quite a while since we've released an update (over a year), and it looks liked the fix didn't make it to the latest update. We are seeing some serious movement towards the next update, but no ETA on when that will be (hopefully well before the end of the year).
Kaboom-baya.

Last edited by ericbsmith; 06-17-2011 at 03:16 PM.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:26 PM   #33
thulben

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Made sure? You know, I'd drop a campaign before I'd use a program to make a character. You must have amazingly compliant players.

Bill Stoddard
Yes and yes. The huge advantage (as I see it) is that there's no issues with someone forgetting their character sheet (yes, it's happened). We are able to get together less than once a month, so I want to maximize time at the table. If I have their sheet in hand, then that's not an issue. Additionally, the player and I have access to the same information at the same time. None of this "hey... can I see your sheet for a sec?" business. Put on top of that that I wrote a couple of tools around GCS that essentially gave me a GM sheet with all characters' skill levels and we have a winner.

On the flip side, I don't think I could manage to be in a campaign where the GM has the only copy of my sheet. I think we just have different styles.
thulben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:51 PM   #34
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by thulben View Post
Yes and yes. The huge advantage (as I see it) is that there's no issues with someone forgetting their character sheet (yes, it's happened). We are able to get together less than once a month, so I want to maximize time at the table. If I have their sheet in hand, then that's not an issue. Additionally, the player and I have access to the same information at the same time. None of this "hey... can I see your sheet for a sec?" business. Put on top of that that I wrote a couple of tools around GCS that essentially gave me a GM sheet with all characters' skill levels and we have a winner.

On the flip side, I don't think I could manage to be in a campaign where the GM has the only copy of my sheet. I think we just have different styles.
I hand out the sheets at the start of each session. And I'm willing to print out duplicates for the players to keep permanently, or to let them take their sheets home, so long as they accept responsibility for bringing them back.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:56 PM   #35
Ed the Coastie

I love using GCA...it makes it much much easier to create and update characters both PCs and NPCs.

Unfortunately, it only goes so far for me. The one part that I find disappointing is Equipment; I can never seem to find exactly what I want.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:55 AM   #36
Phil Masters

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericbsmith View Post
This bug has been fixed, however it has been quite a while since we've released an update (over a year), and it looks liked the fix didn't make it to the latest update.
Unfortunately, this is not a meaning of "fixed" that I really recognise.
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:21 AM   #37
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Unfortunately, this is not a meaning of "fixed" that I really recognise.
You're an author, not a programmer. A "fix" is the opposite of "a bug" - it's a thing, which you may not have yet, but the fact that it exists at all is important because that means when the next patch/release goes out it will be fixed for you. This is in contrast with the bug resisting all efforts to fix it, or the programmers being stuck on some other project and being unable to even look at the issue.

I understand it isn't very helpful for you until its released but that doesn't make it any less fixed.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 07:50 AM   #38
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno View Post
I understand it isn't very helpful for you until its released but that doesn't make it any less fixed.
I'm reminded of the punchline of an old joke:

The mathematician woke up at 3 AM and discovered that his hotel room was on fire. He reached for the phone book by his bedside. On seeing the phone number for the fire department, he said, "A solution exists!" rolled over, and went back to sleep.

Bill Stoddard
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #39
Bruno

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I'm reminded of the punchline of an old joke:

The mathematician woke up at 3 AM and discovered that his hotel room was on fire. He reached for the phone book by his bedside. On seeing the phone number for the fire department, he said, "A solution exists!" rolled over, and went back to sleep.

Bill Stoddard
Ha! Yes, it's very much the same problem with programmers unfortunately :)
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character sheet, gca, gm advice