Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 06-08-2009, 09:29 PM   #1
Stormcrow

Default Select one, get two

I've got a template that has the following:

Select 16 points from among Current Affairs (Business and one other specialty) at blah, Joe's Disadvantage, etc.

I'm trying to figure out how to, in a select#(), say that if you choose one Current Affairs specialization, you also pay for Current Affairs (Business).
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
carllarson

Default Re: Select one, get two

Wouldn't be easier to just have it auto-add CA (Business) and allow the one choice?
carllarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 01:57 PM   #3
Stormcrow

No: Current Affairs (Business) is not an automatic addition to the character. If you choose Current Affairs, you must choose Business, plus one other specialization. If you don't choose Current Affairs, you don't get either one.
Stormcrow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #4
Angel Darkover

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish can be done, as the logic seems more complex (cascading selection dependencies) than the choice lists can handle.

Crazy thoughts running through my head here... I would try nesting templates. In other words, have them select a Current Affairs template that, when adding it via the main template, it auto-adds the Current Affairs (Business) and gives a choice list for other Current Affair skills. The drawback to this is you can't pass values so the points applied to Current Affairs would be a static total rather than a variable portion of the 16 you mentioned earlier.
Angel Darkover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
carllarson

THe only way I can see that working is to have CA (choice) be on the selection, and if selected have it auto-add CA (Business). The work is going to be in the scripting of the CA selection.

There is a way perhaps dealing with a prereq of CA (Biz) for the selected CA, like Mathematics is auto-added as a prereq when certain selections are made. I don't recall it that takes from the correct point pool though.
carllarson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gca