Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS > GURPS Character Assistant

Old 12-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
Cerebrolator

Default GCA versus GCS (GURPS Character Sheet)

I haven't seen GCA but I have downloaded GCS from http://gcs.trollworks.com/Welcome.html. Can anyone tell me what the differences are besides the fact that GCS is free?

I hope it isn't inappropriate to ask this question on this forum.
Cerebrolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
Þorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Default Re: GCA versus GCS (GURPS Character Sheet)

I find that the GCA interface is much easier to use.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Þorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:04 PM   #3
Bruno

GCA has customizable character sheet formats, automates much of the effects of advantages and disadvantages and etc, gets updated for each new book fairly promptly, and can be extended with your own items. Comes with pretty much every enhancement and limitation ever printed in GURPS 4e.

Not sure how much of that GCS does, although as far as I can tell it does NOT allow customized character sheet output.

GCS does run on a mac with minimum fuss, and I believe it runs natively in Linux too.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #4
Hockney

The Unix version does run natively on linux, just tested it out. I'll second that the interface is a little odd, feels wrong after using GCA. As alluded to by Bruno, there is the problem of no first-party support, you're relying on whoever it is that produces this software to keep it properly updated. I didn't notice any glaring errors in it however, although I did just give it a cursory run-through.

I may use this as I dual boot and it does run natively in linux, but when I'm in Windows, I'll be using GCA.
Hockney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #5
Cerebrolator

I was reading a bit on the forum and it sounds like GCA doesn't have a template wizard. Perhaps what I was reading is out of date. How hard is it to put together a template on GCA? I'm looking for something that is easy to use. I have found GCS to be very easy to use. My only complaints are that the output doesn't appear to be very customizable and there is no documentation.
Old 12-04-2007, 09:48 PM   #6
gmillerd

For what its worth, GM control sheet in GCA I find hell-a-useful.

And as remarked previously the ability to quickly and accurately 'Trickster (12 or less) -15' and with two clicks have that 'Trickster (15 or less) -7' is amazingly valuable. (the show on gm control sheet option would be right there as well)
Old 12-05-2007, 06:08 AM   #7
Cerebrolator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmillerd
For what its worth, GM control sheet in GCA I find hell-a-useful.
I'm pretty new to all of this so I'm not sure what GM control sheet you're talking about. Would you provide me with a bit of a description or provide me with a link that will explain/show the control sheet?

Quote:
And as remarked previously the ability to quickly and accurately 'Trickster (12 or less) -15' and with two clicks have that 'Trickster (15 or less) -7' is amazingly valuable. (the show on gm control sheet option would be right there as well)
You've completely losts me on this one. Sorry. I'm definitely a newbie.
Old 12-05-2007, 08:35 AM   #8
gmillerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrolator
I'm pretty new to all of this so I'm not sure what GM control sheet you're talking about. Would you provide me with a bit of a description or provide me with a link that will explain/show the control sheet?
You've completely losts me on this one. Sorry. I'm definitely a newbie.

This is a copy of the mundane sheet here ...

http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/resourc...ntrolSheet.pdf

Basically as a GM you have all the little factoids about your characters via that sheet at a glance for all your player characters (and npcs if you want). So you will know that the player has such and such disadvantage. So if they are kleptomanaic (8 or under) you might want to bring that to their attention. Or a good one is Danger Sense since your the one required to be aware of it, or Luck and you can jot down when someone uses the luck right there.

Again, you would load all the players sheets real quick plus maybe some NPCs and the make the control sheet for those people and print it. Must more useful than the above pdf as you can customize it and what not.
Old 12-05-2007, 10:29 AM   #9
Cerebrolator

It looks like GCA might be a good option. Thanks for the info. The one thing I'm still wondering about is the template wizard. Was that feature ever added?
Old 12-05-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
tmedwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrolator
It looks like GCA might be a good option. Thanks for the info. The one thing I'm still wondering about is the template wizard. Was that feature ever added?
Yes and not quite. The current program update does not, however, the currently pending update version does include the first version of the new template builder that Armin has been working on.

GCA4 resources: GCA Repository, Phoenix (r66), GMCS (2.17), Bookish (r12)
tmedwards is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
character creation, chargen, gca, gcs