Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-25-2013, 08:24 AM   #31
Witigis

Default Re: Gun Ammo Confusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Cade View Post
It's a straight pull not a self loader.
Yep, I own one (carbine). But you can still use it as a single-shot without the clip - I am quite sure the Garand too (but I havenīt shot one, ever, so I may err on that).
Witigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #32
Witigis

Anyway, there isnīt that kind of confusion over here in Germany:
clip would be translated as Ladestreifen or Laderahmen
and magazine as Magazin

These terms are not usually confused.

I cannot say the same about handgun calibers - canīt say how often .357 became .375 in the German TV.
Also, some years ago a German citizen was accused in the newspapers of possessing an illegal 22mm gun (!) - they actually were talking about .22 lr....
Witigis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:49 AM   #33
HANS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky Meerkat View Post
I think the thing that bothers me the most is that High-Tech explicitly spells out what is being done during each of the 3 seconds of the reload but it lists it in the order of "eject the empty magazine, one to retrieve a fresh one, and one to insert it." and that fast draw reduces this set of actions down to 2 seconds.

It just bothers me that High-Tech actually lists the actions taken during the 3 seconds in the wrong order,
No. This isn't the wrong order, it's the natural order. You shoot, you empty, you eject, you retrieve, you insert, you ready. Some of these actions can be done simultanously if you have practised enough, and that's represented by Fast-Draw (Ammo) and the time-savings this allows. And yes, it makes sense to reload before you're dry (see "Tactical Reloads" in Tactical Shooting, p. 20). However, that isn't always possible, frex because you're exited (reason no.1 in actual firefights), because there's still opponents standing around and you can't ask them for a time-out, because your gun requires you to empty it before you can reload (a number of designs do), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeky Meerkat View Post
There is absolutely no way I would shoot completely dry and only then start the process of reloading . . . In my mind I should be able to shoot my gun with my right hand while getting the new mag with my left hand. As Witigis says I would then take the penalty for not having the two handed stance, but at least I could keep firing while getting out that magazine.
Meh. Few people have the presence of mind to do that in a real, bullets-whizzing-by firefight. I also must say I have never seen someone reaching for a new mag while still shooting. I'm not saying it can't be done, but it strikes me as counterproductive -- while you still have shots left, you concentrate on putting those on target, rather than grabbing for a new one and wasting the last shots in the backdrop. May I ask whether you have any experience with a live firearm or are merely stating what you think you would do?

Cheers

HANS

Tags
high-tech, reloading