Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-29-2013, 11:32 AM   #111
Phoenix_Dragon

Default Re: High Tech's low damage for rifles and LMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Rit's probably something like 4/6 or 5/6 for the chest front/back (depends if shoulders are classed as torso or arm), more like 1/6 from the sides or top, and basically no coverage of the abdomen.
Okay, that sounds just like what I was imagining. Thanks!
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:10 PM   #112
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobmuller View Post
I don't know other than that I'd like a homogenous blob to take the extra injury from an internal explosion. But if it doesn't, does that mean it would be treated as in contact for maximum damage instead?
I still don't see how internal explosions aren't also contact explosions anyway. AFAICT internal explosions automatically do three times maximum damage if you have vitals and maximum damage otherwise.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #113
jacobmuller

I think the reasoning is to do with average damage and effective wound mods.
Max damage is an effective WM of 1.7, ie if you apply WMx1.7 to the average die roll, you get 6 damage.
The equivalent for internal explosions would be every die automatically counting as 10.5 damage.
So, to smooth things out, you could either use Contact as WMx1.7 or Internal Explosion as dice-tally x 10.5... I think I'd go with a WMx1.5, as 1.7 is a pain to calc on the fly but die rolls are fun.
jacobmuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #114
General Lee

Recently I was reading about one type of projectile that actually explodes inside a humam body upon hitting. It is the 7.92mm B Patronnen used by Wehrmacht in WWII in eastern front. I summed up that this round would be a SAPHE with 1d-3 [1d-3] follow-up cr exp damage.

So, the question about internal explosion and internal fragmentation damage is worth it.

Internal damage is max damage, as contact damage? Or I have to rolled it? And as for fragmentation?

For example, in the case of considering max damage, with the 3x modifier (vital), it would do 15 points of injury (only explosion considered), plus fragmentation! That I would rule it as an automatic 6 points (considering multiple fragmentation and possible vital). More than that would be overpowering, IMHO.

Or, I am totally off mark here?

Last edited by General Lee; 08-23-2013 at 08:08 PM.
General Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:05 PM   #115
Ulzgoroth

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Recently I was reading about one type of projectile that actually explodes inside a humam body upon hitting. It is the 7.92mmX33 kurz B Patronnen used by Wehrmacht in WWII in eastern front. I summed up that this round would be a SAPHE with 1d-1 [1d-4] follow-up cr exp damage.

So, the question about internal explosion and internal fragmentation damage is worth it.

Internal damage is max damage, as contact damage? Or I have to rolled it? And as for fragmentation?

For example, in the case of considering max damage, with the 3x modifier (vital), it would do 15 points of injury (only explosion considered), plus fragmentation! That I would rule it as an automatic 6 points (considering multiple fragmentation and possible vital). More than that would be overpowering, IMHO.

Or, I am totally off mark here?
Well, AFAICT you're doing the math wrong, since max roll for 1d-4 is 2, so that x3 would give 6 HP injury. EDIT: No, I'm reading wrong, carry on.

Also, I don't think internal explosions get max damage. That's more of a confined explosion thing...it happens when you smother a grenade with your body, not when it lands on you. They do get the x3 wounding of course.

I have never seen an answer to the perennial question of what internal fragmentation actually does.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:08 PM   #116
General Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulzgoroth View Post
Well, AFAICT you're doing the math wrong, since max roll for 1d-4 is 2, so that x3 would give 6 HP injury. EDIT: No, I'm reading wrong, carry on.

Also, I don't think internal explosions get max damage. That's more of a confined explosion thing...it happens when you smother a grenade with your body, not when it lands on you. They do get the x3 wounding of course.

I have never seen an answer to the perennial question of what internal fragmentation actually does.
After reading further into this mather, I think I founded the answer!

Quote:
If you apply it to an attack with Follow-Up (p. 105), penetration indicates the fragments automatically hit the victim but no one else.
Basic Set: Characters p. 104
So fragmentantion damage is rolled normally, but only hit the victim of the internal follow up damage, and have wound modifier cut (x1.5), plus x3 (for vitals, if applicable).

Is debatable, though, if an explosion big enough cannot cause fragmentation to others nearby.
Old 08-20-2013, 02:21 PM   #117
Phoenix_Dragon

That still doesn't entirely answer the question, though. There's still the question of how many fragments hit the person. And we can't really say "all of them" since there is no set limit.
Phoenix_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #118
vierasmarius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
That still doesn't entirely answer the question, though. There's still the question of how many fragments hit the person. And we can't really say "all of them" since there is no set limit.
My tentative ruling for contact or internal fragmentation is that it gives one automatic hit, plus additional hits based on the fragments' MoS. Internal fragments get a x3 Wound Modifier (which replaces the existing cutting modifier, rather than multiplying it). This isn't exactly what RAW says, but it doesn't contradict it either, and I feel is a fair interpretation.
vierasmarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #119
General Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix_Dragon View Post
I would say that the maximum is 6 fragments (1 automatic, plus 5 hits [a 3 in the 3d6 rolling]).

Now, if this is realistic, I dunno.

Tags
guns, high-tech, rifle modern combat armor