Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-16-2017, 02:39 PM   #11
DeathDaisy

Default Re: THM: RPM Path of Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humabout View Post
It is not kosher, per PK to use Bestows a Binus to penalize resistence to a spell's effects. Otherwise really cool spell!
Whaaaat?! I was so sure it was legal. It's not that I doubt you're​ right, but do you remember where he said so? I said in a thread just today that it was alright, and I must make amends :(
DeathDaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #12
Shostak

Quote:
It is not kosher, per PK to use Bestows a Binus to penalize resistence to a spell's effects. Otherwise really cool spell!
Thanks! It could be used to create some interesting long-term adventures with antagonistic NPCs.

I was not aware of a definitive ruling on the Bestows a Penalty--that would be a bummer.
Shostak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 04:00 PM   #13
Shostak

OK, here they are with the penalty modifiers stripped. It absolutely makes sense that spells can't penalize resistance to themselves.

Do you folks think that 4d direct damage is too much for a lesser effect in lower tech levels?

Lucky Break
Spell Effects: Lesser Transform Chance
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Penalty
Greater Effects: 0 (x1).

This spell is cast on a subject about to make a resolution roll, or it could serve as a blocking spell cast against someone else’s already rolled resolution roll, which it transforms from successful roll to a failure or failure to critical failure, if the subject fails to resist. Rolled critical failures should feature catastrophic outcomes like broken weapons, self-inflicted damage, etc.

Typical Casting: Lesser Transform Chance (8) + Range, 10 yards (4). 12 energy (12x1).

The Corsican Braid of Fate
Spell Effects: Lesser Sense Body, Lesser Transform Chance, Lesser Destroy Body
Inherent Modifiers: Area, Damage, Duration, Subject Weight

This spell creates a magical link between the lives of two or more people, such that if one dies, the other/s who failed to resist the spell will suffer 4d direct damage. At the caster’s discretion, this spell may cast so that if only one particular person dies, the others suffer, and as such, it is a perfect incentive for bodyguards who might be suspected of being less than honorable. Or it may be cast upon an enemy, as a deterrent of harm against the someone the caster wants to protect.

Typical Casting: Lesser Sense Body (2) + Lesser Transform Chance (8) + Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Area, 6 yards diameter (2) + Damage, 4d direct (12) + Duration, 1 year (12) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 44 energy (44x1).
Old 06-21-2017, 04:50 AM   #14
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
It is not kosher, per PK to use Bestows a Bonus to penalize resistence to a spell's effects. Otherwise really cool spell!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathDaisy View Post
Whaaaat?! I was so sure it was legal. It's not that I doubt you're​ right, but do you remember where he said so? I said in a thread just today that it was alright, and I must make amends :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shostak View Post
I was not aware of a definitive ruling on the Bestows a Penalty--that would be a bummer.
Actually, it is kosher, but not with energy gathering RPM. DF19 very specifically allows you to add SP to a spell to increase the skill penalty you suffer while giving your target a penalty to resist.

You can do this with regular effect-shaping RPM as well (I am in my current supernatural horror campaign - though I am limiting it to the total Magery or number of points in your Path skill/4 - whichever is higher)

Quote:
OK, here they are with the penalty modifiers stripped. It absolutely makes sense that spells can't penalize resistance to themselves.

Do you folks think that 4d direct damage is too much for a lesser effect in lower tech levels?
4d is about the max of a handheld weapon per Powers - so probably not.

Quote:
Lucky Break
Inherent Modifiers: Bestows a Penalty

This spell is cast on a subject about to make a resolution roll, or it could serve as a blocking spell cast against someone else’s already rolled resolution roll, which it transforms from successful roll to a failure or failure to critical failure, if the subject fails to resist. Rolled critical failures should feature catastrophic outcomes like broken weapons, self-inflicted damage, etc.

Typical Casting: Lesser Transform Chance (8) + Range, 10 yards (4). 12 energy (12x1).
So this forces the subject to immediately reroll a roll they just made within your presence?

Quote:

This spell creates a magical link between the lives of two or more people, such that if one dies, the other/s who failed to resist the spell will suffer 4d direct damage. At the caster’s discretion, this spell may cast so that if only one particular person dies, the others suffer, and as such, it is a perfect incentive for bodyguards who might be suspected of being less than honorable. Or it may be cast upon an enemy, as a deterrent of harm against the someone the caster wants to protect.

Typical Casting: Lesser Sense Body (2) + Lesser Transform Chance (8) + Lesser Destroy Body (5) + Area, 6 yards diameter (2) + Damage, 4d direct (12) + Duration, 1 year (12) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs (3). 44 energy (44x1).
Oh, I'm stealing this for my Chronicles game. I have a player who's character is a sorcerous lawyer specializing in Path of Chance magic and this is so up his alley.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 10:43 PM   #15
Shostak

(Regarding Lucky Break)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
So this forces the subject to immediately reroll a roll they just made within your presence?
Not quite, and this is where I could use some other perspectives. I'd like it to be more certain than just a re-roll. I'd like to use Transform Chance to actually cause a success roll to shift to a failure. But maybe the more fair way to do it is to use Destroy Chance and then pile on a whole heap of Bestows a Penalty--like -10 and hope for the best (or even higher penalty for a more certain outcome). Or perhaps it should be just be a Greater Transform Chance without the penalty? I understand that ultimately, if the GM likes a build, then its good, but the relative paucity of THM: RPM's examples of Chance spells gives a small data set to inform new builds, which leaves me feeling less than confident that this spell respects the intentions of the RAW. Luckily, this forum is flush with excellent contributors.

(regarding the The Corsican Braid of Fate)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostdancer View Post
Oh, I'm stealing this for my Chronicles game.
I'm honored. Let us know how it works out!
Old 06-22-2017, 07:22 PM   #16
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
(Regarding Lucky Break)

Not quite, and this is where I could use some other perspectives. I'd like it to be more certain than just a re-roll. I'd like to use Transform Chance to actually cause a success roll to shift to a failure. But maybe the more fair way to do it is to use Destroy Chance and then pile on a whole heap of Bestows a Penalty--like -10 and hope for the best (or even higher penalty for a more certain outcome). Or perhaps it should be just be a Greater Transform Chance without the penalty? I understand that ultimately, if the GM likes a build, then its good, but the relative paucity of THM: RPM's examples of Chance spells gives a small data set to inform new builds, which leaves me feeling less than confident that this spell respects the intentions of the RAW. Luckily, this forum is flush with excellent contributors.
That's what I'd do. Use Destroy Chance. Or perhaps use Transform Chance and then add Bestows a Penalty, Margin of Failure (A moderate category) so that a number of X or higher is just a failure. If you want it to be a critical failure increase the Critical Failure range with Bestows a Penalty of a Broad modifier.

Quote:
(regarding the The Corsican Braid of Fate)

I'm honored. Let us know how it works out!
Heh. Will do.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:03 PM   #17
Shostak

Quote:
Lucky Break

What was I thinking? There is a much better way to do this, but it warrants a slight name change.

Unlucky Break
Spell Effects: Lesser Restore Chance
Inherent Modifiers: Altered Traits

This spell is cast on a subject about to make a resolution roll, or it could serve as a blocking spell cast against someone's already rolled resolution roll, either of which it seeks to control to the caster’s advantage through bestowing Unluckiness on the target. If the target fails to resist the spell, the resolution roll in question fails.

Typical Casting: Lesser Restore Chance (4) + Altered Traits, Unluckiness (2) + Range, 10 yards (4). 10 energy (10x1).

To allow greater flexibility, add a duration modifier and Lesser Control Magic to allow the caster to trigger the effect of the spell at a desired moment.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:55 PM   #18
Shostak

Here's another, guided by the description of Transform Chance RPM (p.8).

The Unlikely Life of the Party
Inherent Modifiers: Area, Duration

This spell swaps two people's chances of making a good impression (as determined by social reaction rolls). It can be especially useful in situations, such as a diplomacy meeting or a courtroom trial, in which one person is expected to have more influence, or just to take a movie star down a peg or two at a gala.

Typical Casting: Lesser Transform Chance (8) + Duration, 3 hours (4) + Area, 10 yards (8). 16 energy (x1).
Old 07-18-2017, 04:33 PM   #19
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:

Perfect for justifying why you can't just blow up the big bad. You need to take him alive or else the hidden children he linked to will die as well.
Old 09-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #20
Shostak

How would you RPM mavens approach building a ritual that would tie the fates of two individuals, tagged as Underdog and Favorite, such that the Underdog receives a bonus equal to the margin of success of the Favorite’s last roll, while the spell lasts? Both of those affected by the spell must be within the area of effect at the time of casting. Note: this spell will not give any bonuses to rolls to cast magic.

Here's a draft:
The Underdog's Equalizer
Spell Effects:
Lesser Transform Chance
Inherent Modifiers: Area, Duration, ????

Typical Casting: Lesser Transform Chance (8) + Area, 6 yards diameter (2) + Duration, 10 minutes (1) + ?????
It seems that this needs a modifier for bestowing a bonus. However, the bonus is not guaranteed, nor is it a set number. Given that, and, seeing as one could just give a specific bonus on every roll by using a different spell effect, it seems unfair to pay full energy for the maximum possible bonus for this spell. Suggestions?

Tags
path of chance, rituals, rpm, spells, thaumatology