Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-21-2018, 07:28 AM   #21
Otaku

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#57): Fearlessness, Unfazeable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
He's still rolling against Will every time he's in the presence of Alcohol to avoid going on a binge (although I guess there it doesn't strictly match Anaraxes' discussion of Disads with SC rolls). I was talking to Anaraxes' idea that always going for the Will/SC Roll is bad roleplaying.
At the risk of doing more harm than good, I agree with Daigoro. At least, I think I agree. XP A common criticism of GURPS is that sometimes, it makes the simple things too complicated... but this seems to be one of those instances where the rules aren't complicated enough. Daigoro brought up how the rules for Disadvantages can result in a CP penalty for trying to resist a Disadvantage... but at the same time recognize that not everyone embraces their vices with equal vigor. To me, it is a bad compromise between roll-playing and roleplaying, one where neither side wins and everyone loses. XP

Is there someplace in RAW that allows you to mechanically draw a distinction between how the character approaches his, her, or its vice versus how often said character actually succumbs to it when trying to resist? As attempting to resist "too often" is supposed to incur a roleplay penalty, it is a game relevant mechanic, not just flavorful roleplay.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:03 AM   #22
Daigoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
At the risk of doing more harm than good, I agree with Daigoro.
Thanks for the compliment... I think?

Quote:
Daigoro brought up how the rules for Disadvantages can result in a CP penalty for trying to resist a Disadvantage... but at the same time recognize that not everyone embraces their vices with equal vigor. To me, it is a bad compromise between roll-playing and roleplaying, one where neither side wins and everyone loses. XP

Is there someplace in RAW that allows you to mechanically draw a distinction between how the character approaches his, her, or its vice versus how often said character actually succumbs to it when trying to resist? As attempting to resist "too often" is supposed to incur a roleplay penalty, it is a game relevant mechanic, not just flavorful roleplay.
This would be good fodder for a Power-Ups: Disadvantages book.

I think it depends on the disad.
If you take Lecherous, I'd expect the player to be making passes at anything that moves as part of roleplaying their character. The SC roll is for situations where you shouldn't do so- against their arresting officer, chatting up the queen in front of the king, that kind of stuff.

Alcoholism could be either way- you're embracing it or you're battling it. I don't think roleplaying one way or the other should be penalised, as long as the mechanical effects are generally followed. RAW mentions nightly, out-of-game binges and possible annual stat loss, but these seem more optional than the rest of the write-up.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #23
Otaku

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment... I think?
I was agreeing with your stance, but kidding on the square about that being a good thing, given my track record on such matters. ;)

This would be good fodder for a Power-Ups: Disadvantages book.

Quote:
I think it depends on the disad.
If you take Lecherous, I'd expect the player to be making passes at anything that moves as part of roleplaying their character. The SC roll is for situations where you shouldn't do so- against their arresting officer, chatting up the queen in front of the king, that kind of stuff.

Alcoholism could be either way- you're embracing it or you're battling it. I don't think roleplaying one way or the other should be penalised, as long as the mechanical effects are generally followed. RAW mentions nightly, out-of-game binges and possible annual stat loss, but these seem more optional than the rest of the write-up.
Yes, it would depend on whether or not it made sense for the trait given the setting, and would probably become one of those YMMV kinds of things. For example, as soon as you said "No" for Lecherousness, my mind instantly tried to craft a concept where it would make sense to have both a SCR number and something to represent how the character responded to its own Lecherousness.

Reversing and adding to Fanny's suggestion, sometimes we could use stuff like Reliable or Accessibility to mold things, but that gets to part of why I get confused in the first place; some Disadvantages are written in a manner that makes me assume the character with it enjoys it, while others are written so that the opposite assumption or something in between is "the default".

One of the things I like about GURPS is how it takes things and breaks them down so that I can tailor them to my liking. One of the things I dislike is how there are a lot of mechanics that don't actually do that or which due but have a leading or even misleading name.

It is pretty niche, but I could see a kind of "hopeless romantic" or (more seriously) someone just going through some real emotional or mental issues, who could "have an unusually strong desire for romance" that the character is trying to master... which means that (regardless of the actual SCR) it makes sense for the character to try and resist, and be appropriately devasted once any immediate benefits of failing have passed.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:58 PM   #24
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
I don't think roleplaying one way or the other should be penalised, as long as the mechanical effects are generally followed.
That nonsense is something I threw out a long time ago (back in 3e) and have never looked back. It's never caused issues in my games. Some Characters live their flaws to the hilt, some fight them every time, and some alternate between the two. All three methods provide good roleplaying opportunities.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, daigoro, fearlessness, otaku, unfazeable, week, [basic]