Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-08-2014, 04:07 AM   #11
Gold & Appel Inc

Default Re: Minor Wierdness Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery View Post
This, except for the perk bit. I think that's actually a delusion on the owner's part.
IMHO it's a Feature. Cool stuff happens, sure. Also uncool stuff (covered by the Unluckiness), tedious stuff, distracting stuff, and stuff that makes you look bad in a very minor way that might incur an additional -1 Reaction from a small group like a Quirk would occasionally.
Gold & Appel Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:06 AM   #12
GodBeastX

I like the idea the GM can pick when the oddity is going to happen. Sometimes nothing happens, sometimes tons of things happen.

"As long as we huddle around this heater we'll be fi--- Crap..."
GodBeastX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 01:29 AM   #13
Otaku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jariel View Post
Weirdness Magnet really should be a leveled disadvantage like Delusion or Vulnerability. Personally, I've always thought of Weirdness Magnet as Enemy (Powerful Weird Force (-20); Rival (1/2) (since it's in between a minor inconvenience and someone wanting to kill you); Frequency of Appearance (9 or less) (x1)) (-10), plus Reputation -2 (-10) (Large class of people (1/2); All the time (x1)) (-5) for (-15) points total. The large class of people is anyone who has been adversely affected by your weirdness. You can adjust the overall cost based on how dangerous the weirdness is and how frequently you have to deal with it. Having "cool" weird things happen is a perk.
What you want sounds like Enemy (Creepy Weird Force (-20), Watcher (x1/4); Frequency of Appearance (9 or less) (x1)) (-5). I used Watcher since it sounds like you want creepy and minor inconveniences instead of something instantly fatal. The -1 Reputation would be another -2 points for -7 total.
You could also use Unluckiness (-10) and limit it to creepy/strange things since the text says you can choose a "theme" for your unluckiness. Or you could add an enhancement; maybe Cosmic (Not arbitrary or malicious events-only minor inconveniences) +50%, for (-5).
I like the Lifebane (Mechanical/Electronic +0%) (-10) idea. It would be a great way to justify an alien species with high biotech and no electronics.
It is a bit late for me to trust myself at fully comprehending the breakdown... but I like it. XD There are a lot of "legacy" Disadvantages that really seem like "package deals" that clash with the "generic universal" vibe, especially in forcing somewhat homogeneous circumstances on all characters. When it comes to Weirdness Magnet, being able to vary the frequency of the happenings and the severity seems necessary to cover the proper spectrum.
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2014, 02:14 AM   #14
Jariel

Thanks Otaku, Enemy (Weirdness) seemed the best way to handle it imho. Breaking it up this way lets you go from "annoying weirdness" to "nearly fatal weirdness" and determine frequently you have to deal with it. The Reputation can also be increased or decreased as needed. I always thought of the -2 Reputation as either people who were adversely affected by your weirdness or people who you tried to explain it to and thought you were crazy or lying. For example; you get invited to tea by beings from another dimension, this causes you to miss work and when you get back your boss doesn't want to hear your crazy story about "aliens" or whatever again and you lose your job. (Weirdness Magnets have a very hard time holding down a regular nine-to-five job.) So, even though the "weirdness" wasn't fatal, losing your job (probably again) qualifies as "terrible inconvenient."
Jariel is offline   Reply With Quote