Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Roleplaying in General

Old 02-21-2011, 01:38 PM   #21
BradyIrvin

Default Re: Explaining "Call of Cthulhu " setting

I read where Call of Cthulhu was one of the top 3 RPG's of all time? Can someone direct me on where to find what it is I need to start playing this RPG - I never see anything for it in any of the gaming stores.
BradyIrvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 01:47 PM   #22
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyIrvin View Post
I read where Call of Cthulhu was one of the top 3 RPG's of all time? Can someone direct me on where to find what it is I need to start playing this RPG - I never see anything for it in any of the gaming stores.
Chaosium sells it from their website in deadtree and pdf. However since it is still published in deadtree, you should be able to get your FLGS to order it.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 06:35 PM   #23
jason taylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Bunyip View Post
Have tried to explain Call of Cthulhu to one of my roleplaying buddies and his missus. Instead, I have suggested that they just read some of H.P.Lovecrafts musings. Any recommendations? Something short would be good, as I have to print it out (they are very 20th C people, like their hard copy).
Isn't one of the main points of Cthulhu, that you CAN'T explain it?
Old 02-21-2011, 07:30 PM   #24
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor
Assuming you're asking seriously: There is a degree of ineffability among the big players in the Mythos. Even Cthulhu, who is a fairly minor being in the vast scheme of things, is difficult to nail down other than to say that his awakened presence would be a pretty bad thing for modern civilization. But LB seemed to want to describe the game and its premises, which of course can be done much more easily than explaining the cosmic entities in it.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #25
Luke Bunyip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason taylor View Post
I was after an explanation as as to why, within the setting, it is unexplainable. I get what you are saying, as I get the setting. But for a muggle, it could be confusing.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #26
Luke Bunyip

What I did not state in the initial post, was that this was in order to explain the underlying precepts for a game of Munchkin Cthulhu.

Had a game with them last weekend. Fortunately, I rolled under my Quicktalk skill, so they got the basic idea. They loved the game mechanics, the inherent silliness, and the fact that we all became cultists, and that was that.

Tags
cthulhu