Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #1
Pseudonym

Default Sorcery, Energy Reserve, and Recover Energy?

I am wondering if there is a Recover Energy variant for Sorcery. I am guessing if there isn't one already statted out, it would simply be:
  • Regeneration (Fast) 50 pts
  • FP Only (-0%)
  • Magic (-10%) because it doesn't cost FP like sorcery.
  • Potentially tempered with Takes Extra Time to make it slightly slower to get rates of 1 FP/2 minutes (-10%) or 1 FP/4 minutes (-20%)
On the last point, I am not sure if you can use takes extra time on a continuous ability, so I also calculated full prices using a power function trendline for Regeneration (Somewhere between Fast and Regular):
For 5 minutes, I get 38 and change, or 39 points.
For 2 and 1/2 minutes, I get 42 and change, or 43 points.

So this ability might finally cost:
  • 45 points to recover 1 FP/Minute
  • 40 points to recover 1 FP/2 minutes (using takes extra time)
  • 39 Points to recover 1 FP/150 seconds using a logarithmic extrapolation
  • 35 points to recover 1 FP/4 minutes (using takes extra time)
  • 35 points to recover 1 FP/5 minutes using a logarithmic extrapolation
Which of those sounds like the most appropriate values to use to simulate that ability? Or am I completely off base and missing a critical piece of the calculation?

Finally, would it make sense for an ambient power like this to be switchable like the other sorceries, therefore giving it the 80% discount for other switchable sorceries and taking away the ability to maintain other spells while using it?

For reference, the function I used to extrapolate the price:

http://i.imgur.com/NDpf0gR.gif

And one small addendum by the way, I couldn't find this while searching but it seems like the discount for very fit specifically excludes magic, but does the FP recovery benefit of Fit/Very Fit benefit energy expended for magic purposes? And does it help with Energy Reserve, or vanilla FP only?
Old 11-14-2015, 03:08 PM   #2
D10

Location: In Rio de Janeiro, where it was cyberpunk before it was cool.
Default Re: Sorcery, Energy Reserve, and Recover Energy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonym View Post
And one small addendum by the way, I couldn't find this while searching but it seems like the discount for very fit specifically excludes magic, but does the FP recovery benefit of Fit/Very Fit benefit energy expended for magic purposes? And does it help with Energy Reserve, or vanilla FP only?
Quote:
Fit 5 or 15 points
You have better cardiovascular health than your HT alone would indicate.
This comes in two levels:

Fit: You get +1 to all HT rolls (to stay conscious, avoid death, resist disease or poison, etc.).
This does not improve your HT attribute or HTbased skills! You also recover FP at twice the normal rate. 5 points.

Very Fit: As above, but the bonus to HT rolls is +2. In addition, you lose FP at only half the normal rate. 15 points.

In both cases, this advantage applies only to FP lost to exertion, heat, etc.
It has no effect on FP spent to power psi or magic spells.

Seems clear to me
D10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #3
weby

Default Re: Sorcery, Energy Reserve, and Recover Energy?

[QUOTE=Pseudonym;1953582]I am wondering if there is a Recover Energy variant for Sorcery. I am guessing if there isn't one already statted out, it would simply be:
  • Regeneration (Fast) 50 pts
  • FP Only (-0%)
  • Magic (-10%) because it doesn't cost FP like sorcery.
  • Potentially tempered with Takes Extra Time to make it slightly slower to get rates of 1 FP/2 minutes (-10%) or 1 FP/4 minutes (-20%)

There are intermidiate time options for regen fp given in pyramid 44 in The last gasp.

Quote:
Finally, would it make sense for an ambient power like this to be switchable like the other sorceries, therefore giving it the 80% discount for other switchable sorceries and taking away the ability to maintain other spells while using it?
It is up to the GM what to allow, but it seems to be very similar in idea to the recover energy spell in the basic magic system.

Quote:
No, you cannot use fit for any extraordinary FP loss recovery unless you put in a +50% cosmic on it.

Tags
energy reserve, recover energy, sorcery