Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-24-2014, 05:13 PM   #11
Christopher R. Rice

Default Re: [RPM] Post your rituals here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durick View Post
I ran some sample combats for a chanbara campaign I'm planning on running, and dismemberment featured heavily. This got me thinking about what the group's RPM caster would have to do if it happened to the PCs. I came up with three rituals that I'd appreciate feedback on. One of things I was waffling on was whether I'd need a duration on Restore Limb (which would probably push the cost close to the regrowth ritual since it would need to be a duration of a lifetime...). Also, the last one seemed really expensive, but given what it's doing it probably should be. Thanks in advance!
That's good thinking there! Keeping all the PCs involved as much as possible is a good thing to do when your the GM. :-)

Quote:
I don't know what I think about not requiring the altered traits portion of it. Is the reason because it seems too expensive otherwise?
Quote:
Restore Limb
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Body
Inherent Modifiers: Weight, Altered Traits Restore One Arm or One Leg,
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

Restore a severed arm or leg. The limb in question must still be present, mostly intact, and recently lost. Replacing a limb that does not fit these criteria would require the rituals below.

Typical Casting: Greater Restore Body (4) + Subject Weight, 100-300 lbs (3) + Altered Traits, Restore One Arm or Restore One Leg (20). 81 energy (27 x 3)
I'm not sure what "Restore One Arm or Restore One Leg" is as a advantage, as Kalzazz pointed out - I'd do it differently. This is what I do in my campaigns and it works out just fine. Remember, Altered Traits are typically used when the caster is augmenting someone with a ability that is not under his control. Let's say that you're healing someone who's been knocked down 7 HP in a TL8 world, you could cast Lesser Restore Body (4) + Healing, 2d (4) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3), for 11 energy. Or you could cast Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Altered Traits, Regeneration (Regular) (25) + Duration, 12 hours (6) + Subject Weight, 300 lbs. (3), for 111 energy. That's over 10 times the cost for doing about the same thing. Now, higher levels do get you more bang for you buck. That's why in my post I said I saw no reason why you couldn't heal a limb by simply having one Greater effect to bring it back or seal it to the stump or whatever and another to simply heal it back to full HP. It makes sense and fits with how HP is restored as well. Now, when you would need regrowth is if you have time to heal up and you've got a lot of missing limbs or you plan on visiting the Bog of Acidic Moss or what not. Being able to regrow lost limbs "on the fly" like that would be darn useful.

Quote:
Regrowth
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Body
Inherent Modifiers: Weight, Altered Traits Regrowth, Duration
Greater Effects: 1 (x3)

Causes the subject to regrow limbs for a duration long enough to regrow a leg (~9 months).

Typical Casting: Greater Restore Body (4) + Subject Weight, 100-300 lbs (3) + Altered Traits, Regrow (40) + Duration, 9 months (19). 198 energy (66 x 3)
This is one way, but again you could do it cheaper (as I've pointed out). It also runs the risk of you encountering another caster and them dispelling it midway or you using another Restore Body effect and killing it that way.

Quote:
Speedy Regrowth
Spell Effects: Greater Restore Body + Greater Strengthen Body
Inherent Modifiers: Weight + Altered Traits, Regrowth + Altered Traits, Regeneration (Slow) + Duration (1 week)
Greater Effects: 2 (x5)

As regrowth, but much quicker. Limbs grow back in a week, not months.

Typical Casting: Greater Restore Body (4) + Greater Strengthen Body (3) + Subject Weight, 100-300 lbs (3) + Altered Traits, Regrowth (40) + Altered Traits, Regeneration (Slow) (25) + Duration, 1 week (9). 420 energy (84 x 5)
You don't need two different effects here, just one. Greater Restore Body (4) + Altered Traits, Regrowth and Regeneration (Slow) (50). Remember, you can bundle Altered Traits that thematically make sense. So the new cost of this would be 198 energy.

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ghostly movement, magic, ritual path magic, rpm, thaumatology