Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Ogre and G.E.V.

Old 07-21-2018, 06:49 PM   #1
TheAmishStig

Default After Action Report: July 21, 2018

This local Ogre gathering was small, between inclement weather and other obligations...but still, I sat down with afschell, we got three games in in a very "beer and pretzels" atmosphere.

Game 1: Allen came in with a Mk.III; my defensive mix was entirely HVY, MSL, and GEV. Early on my dice were not kind...he drove straight through me, mowing down what he could and powering through what he couldn't. Meanwhile, my troops couldn't hit the ground if they were skydiving without a chute...we're talking rolling Ds on 3-1 and 4-1 shots. About halfway up the board, they finally started hitting...but by then there were so few hexes left that there was no saving the CP. Pop went the weasel. Allen went for a total victory and it ended up biting him; I had enough firepower left to keep him from getting off the board. Marginal Ogre Victory

Game 2: My turn, and in a move that would make Drew smile, decided that he'd managed to anger the Pope..sent in the purple Mk.III out of Uncommon Ogres. Playing this game, we both tried something new; Allen tried Superheavies [adding 3 to his mix], while I tried taking Steve's "A patient Ogre is a dangerous Ogre" angle from his The Ogre Book essay. Allen should have won that game, but the dice said no. He drew me in with a feint and flank, costing me some treads and guns; I blasted out the back instead of trying to power through, and we spent most of the game with probing attacks in the south half of the board. The SHVYs did not pay for themselves...losing two of them to dumb luck at low odds [1-1 with batteries, and 1-1 with a missile], the third to a missile / ram pair. Losing 6AU when he only had 12 to start with was a loss he couldn't come back from despite a valiant effort. Total Ogre Victory.

Game 3: The exact same setup as last time, to see if it was oddness of the dice or a bad force selection. I shouldn't have won this one either, but a lucky shot at the right time turned it. This time the SHVYs did a lot better, but still went down too easily...one of them got popped on a lucky 1-2 shot from a Secondary. This time though he didn't give me the luxury of patience, and after losing the MB / Missiles [about 9 hexes from the CP] had to drive straight for it. He managed to get my last SB the turn after the CP went down, so it was toothless Ogre vs defender remnants. He got me down to M1 4 hexes from the edge...without enough firepower to get it done before the Ogre would escape. Ogre Victory (barely!)

Our next scheduled date is 8/5.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Imgur: https://agent0460.imgur.com/
TheAmishStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 08:44 PM   #2
ColBosch

Default Re: After Action Report: July 21, 2018

See, I love these "got a bunch of games in" reports. I think one of Ogre's great strengths is that the basic scenario really does play very quickly once you have even a little experience with the game.
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:47 PM   #3
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
See, I love these "got a bunch of games in" reports. I think one of Ogre's great strengths is that the basic scenario really does play very quickly once you have even a little experience with the game.
I'm glad to have had the opportunity...feel bad that the first one Allen came to is the first one that was only me and one other, but it gave a chance to shoot the breeze, laugh, and really give it a beer and pretzels feel (minus the beer and minus the pretzels).

And ODE being ODE, it got a number of looks from staff and passers-by because it's not exactly a subtle box.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA
Old 07-23-2018, 07:56 PM   #4
ColBosch

While I'm sure it would've been nice to have a dozen people immediately order copies of Ogre, we have to remember that ultimately it's about playing games and having fun. If you and Allen had a good time, then you can't call the day a waste. :)
ColBosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:36 PM   #5
TheAmishStig

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColBosch View Post
While I'm sure it would've been nice to have a dozen people immediately order copies of Ogre, we have to remember that ultimately it's about playing games and having fun. If you and Allen had a good time, then you can't call the day a waste. :)
It was the furthest thing from a waste. :D I just wish he could've met some of the others, so we can keep building this little local community of ours.
MIB Agent #0460
Ogre 134th Battalion

Lancaster, PA