Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-12-2018, 12:47 PM   #51
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: Minimum Skill Count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
If all that happens and you're tasked with finding the museum, the only way to succeed is to wander around until you happen to run into the museum. Your skill at Navigation isn't going to come into it.
I may have gone a bit extreme with 'no directions allowed', but if that person was told upon leaving their hotel that the resume was to the north-east of their hotel and with a few blocks west of the [tallest building in the city], then you'd see a Navigation skill use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
PCs may have many unusual Skills but you don't justify that by saying that many ordinary people have such Skills.
Exactly. I justify it by saying that adventurers are extraordinary people.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #52
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post

* Are there a lot of college students who have no idea how to manage their money? Are they perhaps buying expensive things that they think are essential, and then not having money for actual necessities?
Yes, there are massive amounts of college students who have no idea how to manage their money.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 03:13 PM   #53
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm View Post
I concur. There is ample evidence that men are judged on the grounds of height, that men and women alike are judged on body fat, and that pleasing facial features are beneficial irrespective of sex.

It seems likely that today's society is still guilty of objectifying women more often than it does men . . . but stating that every woman requires Sex Appeal contributes to that objectification in its own small way. It's part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Anyway, Sex Appeal isn't physical appearance, but a form of implicit bribery – just one where the implication is a service rather than goods. Sex Appeal is affected by Appearance, but that's a one-way street; Sex Appeal in no way helps raise effective Appearance. In fact, because it's generally inappropriate (see my comments upthread), it will often be at -1 to -10 and thus fail, resulting in a "Bad" reaction. That's the average reaction for someone with -6 in reaction penalties . . . like, say, Appearance (Horrific). In rules terms, then, going around using Sex Appeal is likely to have exactly the opposite effect of increased Appearance.
What skill would say you women use to look attractive for, well, any reason? And keep in mind that female outfits are a lot more sexualized then male.
scc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:01 PM   #54
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by scc View Post

What skill would say you women use to look attractive for, well, any reason?
Most people don't really have a special skill for that. You can go to a professional who has a skill like Professional Skill (Hairdresser), Professional Skill (Manicurist), or whatever . . . At home, knowing how to wash, shave, dress, fix your hair, and make use of cosmetic products is – regardless of sex – just "not letting your Appearance level slip by being slovenly." People who are really, really good at it should buy a higher Appearance level and/or Fashion Sense.

Quote:

And keep in mind that female outfits are a lot more sexualized then male.
There are women who choose to dress that way, sure. There are men who do that, too. I don't think it's inherent in women's fashion.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:07 PM   #55
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
What skill would say you women use to look attractive for, well, any reason?
I wouldn't. Or if I did it would be 'part of another skill use'. Are they heading out for a night on the town and want to look good? Carousing. Are they trying to use their Appearance and sexuality to intimidate a group of fellow lawyers over a power luncheon? Intimidate and Profession (Lawyer)/Savoir Faire (REGION Law). Are they using their appearance to distract someone during a con? Fast-Talk.

Quote:
And keep in mind that female outfits are a lot more sexualized then male.
No, not really. It might seem that way to you, but I suspect you don't appreciate the male form as much as others do.

The primary difference in the US is that 'men' are expected to act as though they do not care (and many don't, while an equal number obviously and openly do) while at the same time presenting themselves perfectly and appropriately which includes wardrobe, grooming, and attitude. 'Women' are expected to not only act like they care, but take that caring openly and seriously.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:41 PM   #56
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
I may have gone a bit extreme with 'no directions allowed', but if that person was told upon leaving their hotel that the resume was to the north-east of their hotel and with a few blocks west of the [tallest building in the city], then you'd see a Navigation skill use.
I wouldn't think so. I think a person with no training in navigation could do that perfectly well just with general education and an IQ roll.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 05:11 AM   #57
Ŝorkell
Icelandic - Approach With Caution

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
I wouldn't think so. I think a person with no training in navigation could do that perfectly well just with general education and an IQ roll.
Considering that most/many/all US cities have at least some grid system where the streets run North-South and East-West I don't see how the above task would be a Navigation roll.

Viking kittens | My photos | More of my photos
Ŝorkell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 06:55 AM   #58
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ŝorkell View Post
Considering that most/many/all US cities have at least some grid system where the streets run North-South and East-West I don't see how the above task would be a Navigation roll.

Speaking as someone who grew up with towns that use actual grids (complete with numbers for streets and addresses that are actually coordinates), not really.

US cities usually have a grid (or several conflicting grids) built in at some level, but they suffer from a few problems that make them less useful than you would expect:

1) They aren't named in a predictable order. There are exceptions, of course, but they are exceptions. I don't know if Gilmer street is 10 turns away or 2. I don't know if its running north-south or east-west, or if its cutting across diagonally.

2) Its very rare for the major arteries to be built in a grid. It takes a certain type of aggressive foresight in the city fathers, and the power to make it happen. Even then, it may not stick, as it takes discipline to maintain. Often, the exceptions to the grid are the most important roads. You can cut across them, using the grid system, but this generally involves hitting traffic lights with 4:1 ratios against your favor, residential roads, and the occasional dead end. An if you're in a big enough city, you'll start hitting one ways roads.

3) Old city boundaries and Geography can mess with the grid, misaligning it or messing up the system because 100 years ago the two seed grids were different towns.

So it really isn't that simple.

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:42 AM   #59
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ŝorkell View Post
Grids may apply to big cities with central planning mostly. the rest of the US might tend to be more "sprawly" and eccentric.

That said, I can't remember the last time I gave or recived directions that focussed on compass terms. They tend to be all about roads, landmarks and left or right turns.

For example, were I at the mall in my litle town of 40k people and was asked by a confused Yankee about how to get back to I-95 I would do as follows; first I would point in the desired direction and say"First you exit this parking lot _there_ turning left onto US-1. You follow that through the center of town until you get to Garden Street. There will e a CVS on your left and a Papa John's pizza place on your right. You turn _left_ on Garden and follow it til you get to I-95.".

Not really Navigation Skill material. I could ahve phrased things in terms of compass directions. You can almost see the ocean from that parking lot and I-95 does run Nouth-South but other places those compass facings might not be so easy to determine.
Old 07-13-2018, 07:56 AM   #60
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post

You can almost see the ocean from that parking lot and I-95 does run Nouth-South but other places those compass facings might not be so easy to determine.
And then there are cities where the locals routinely talk in terms of compass points, but the "canonical" city compass has nothing to do with reality. Here in Montréal, I live on what locals call a north-south street . . . except that it runs almost precisely NW-SE. It could just as easily be an east-west street in another reality. So when receiving directions from a local, a visitor really hopes those directions are in terms of landmarks and intersections and turns. Because even the most savvy navigator, trusting a local's concept of "north" and "south," would be hosed.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote