Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-08-2019, 01:19 PM   #1
Barantor

Default Colorblind friendly Tollenkar Map?

As someone who is fairly heavily colorblind I was a little disappointed in the Tollenkar's Lair map being extremely color coded. I was wondering if there is a possibility of it being printed in a format that I can see more easily in the future? This might help those like me play this adventure. Thanks.
Barantor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #2
Shadekeep

Default Re: Colorblind friendly Tollenkar Map?

Agreed, I believe there is value in a purely monochrome version as well.
Shadekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #3
hcobb

A six page map?
Old 04-08-2019, 02:01 PM   #4
ak_aramis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barantor View Post
As someone who is fairly heavily colorblind I was a little disappointed in the Tollenkar's Lair map being extremely color coded. I was wondering if there is a possibility of it being printed in a format that I can see more easily in the future? This might help those like me play this adventure. Thanks.
The B&W in the original is almost unreadable. Color is about the only thing making the LE version readable.

As hcobb notes, it would need 6 pages to actually replicate the color content in readable B&W.
ak_aramis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:19 PM   #5
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barantor View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadekeep View Post
Agreed, I believe there is value in a purely monochrome version as well.
The original was in black and white. And while it was complex, it was not "almost totally unreadable;" it just took a couple of minutes up front to trace things out. Though most people followed the recommendation in the original ITL and colored the levels in colored pencil to make it easier to see at a glance.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 02:39 PM   #6
larsdangly

The overlay-style maps are a funny idiosyncrasy of the original game. I can see the philosophical motivation for sticking with that experiment in the couple of complex maps included in the Legacy Edition. And its one of those ideas that is great for showing a third dimension to small features of a major level. But it is obviously a pretty wild way of presenting a 6 level dungeon! I'm also color blind and have trouble parsing it. And I know a bunch of people who see color just fine and get driven into fits of confused rage trying to figure it all out. My guess is this style will fall out of use as more dungeons get published...
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 03:52 PM   #7
Anthony

There are certainly methods of making black and white maps that accomplish the same thing, but the real problem is that you're trying to show 6 layers on one map, and there really isn't a method of doing that which won't be confusing.
Old 04-08-2019, 04:05 PM   #8
larsdangly

Plus it pushes you toward doing artificial things with your design of each level, as you want to avoid putting large fractions of one room or hall under another, or stacking 3 or more layers vertically.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 04:47 PM   #9
Skarg

And so, six black and white maps would be useful for color-sighted people, too.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:24 PM   #10
Barantor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post
A six page map?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_aramis View Post
The B&W in the original is almost unreadable. Color is about the only thing making the LE version readable.

As hcobb notes, it would need 6 pages to actually replicate the color content in readable B&W.
Right now I can't read the one that came with the KS at all so 6 pages doesn't bother me in the slightest.

I don't understand what the problem is with adding more pages, I'm willing to pay for it, if it is done well and I can actually use the product.
Barantor is offline   Reply With Quote