Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-09-2019, 03:01 PM   #11
hcobb

Default Re: Does a main-gauche stop hits from a thrown weapon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
In Chinese cinema, you don't even need the dagger. Bare hands are quite sufficient for defense, and are usually more dangerous as weapons too.
Do not mess with anyone who has UC V
Old 04-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #12
Axly Suregrip

Hello Reaper Steve,
Please note the MainGauche in Melee is handled differently than the MG in ITL. See this thread about the differences:
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=160627

I see you are asking about Melee. There is no -1 DX penalty for the MG in Melee. Instead it is inferior to the dagger in HTH damage. Page 13 in Melee is the rules for it.

Now to answer your questions (my opinion):

> Does a main-gauche stop hits from a thrown weapon?
I find Melee rules to be very tight. It is very specific in for "missile & thrown" and other times "missile". Giving this, I would say the MG does -1 damage to thrown weapon attacks for 1 handed thrown weapons.

> Does range matter?
no. Thrown weapon can come from any range.

> In other words, does 'front hex' mean the attacker must be in an adjacent front hex, or can he be at range as long as the weapon flies through a front hex?
correct. The thrown weapon must pass through one of the target's front hexes for the target to apply the MG -1 damage.
Axly Suregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #13
Axly Suregrip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper Steve View Post
I'm unfamiliar with the main-gauche's Dex adjustment; where do you see that?
The DX adjustment of -1 for MG is in ITL only. Since you are playing Melee, it does not apply. Melee and ITL handle MGs differently.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #14
larsdangly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axly Suregrip View Post
The DX adjustment of -1 for MG is in ITL only. Since you are playing Melee, it does not apply. Melee and ITL handle MGs differently.
It's not clear that this is correct. Another common interpretation is that the '1' modifier is a typo.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 08:27 AM   #15
hcobb

MG is specifically listed as a Fencer weapon, which has an adjDX requirement. Applying a DX modifier for the MG would open a huge can of worms.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:31 AM   #16
larsdangly

I wish they would offer an official errata somewhere about this, as everyone finds the Melee/ITL inconsistencies and table typo's confusing. It is also just a guess that we should be letting people do a second attack with a main gauche without imposing a DX penalty in your primary attack. That is probably the correct reading of the rules in Melee and the 'left handed weapons' section of ITL, but the alternative interpretation (both attacks suffer a DX penalty) is implied by references to the main gauche in other places (e.g., the passage on the rules for the net and trident). I don't even care which of the various interpretations is 'correct' - it is just bothersome to have everyone who plays the game scratching their heads over this detail.
Old 04-10-2019, 10:01 AM   #17
Axly Suregrip

Melee and ITL do a lot differently. HTH is a big one. But also MainGauche is one. For dealing with the MG in Melee, strictly stick with the rules in Melee. Most of it is covered on page 13. About Melee only:
- The MG blocks 1 point of damage in some situations without adjusting DX
- The MG may be used to do a second attack in regular combat (not HTH) and it is done so at a -4 DX to the MG attack alone
- In regular combat MG and Dagger both do 1-1
- In HTH combat MG and Dagger damage differs. MG 1-1; Dagger 1+2
Old 04-10-2019, 12:14 PM   #18
larsdangly

I find it weird that little technical details like that differ in revised Melee and ITL, and I sort of can't get over it. I understand that the originals of evolved over time and people change their minds about how they want to do these things. But the re-issues were fully edited and tidied up, and these should have been made consistent (and clear). The version in melee is not substantially simpler than that in ITL - it is just different.