Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-11-2019, 06:20 AM   #1
Mike P.

Default Weapon Expertise

We have finally reached the point in our TFT campaign where one of the characters is about to become a Weapons Expert. I am curious as to how everyone else has been using this talent.

First- "All melee attacks against an Expert who has weapon in hand are at -1 DX. Does this penalty apply even to those attackers in the Expert's side and rear hexes?

Second - "Shrewd blow. An Expert may attack at -5DX and do an extra die of damage." Is this extra die of damage in addition to the +1 damage the Expert normally does with his weapon, or in place of the +1 damage?
Mike P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:21 AM   #2
larsdangly

Default Re: Weapon Expertise

1) Something like your first point was recently discussed in another thread; you will get a diversity of opinions, but mine is that none of the defensive bonuses of these talents should apply to attacks from rear or side facings.

2) I add them together; that is, I interpret the +1 as a default and the shrewd blow as extra on top of that.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #3
oldwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
We have finally reached the point in our TFT campaign where one of the characters is about to become a Weapons Expert. I am curious as to how everyone else has been using this talent.

First- "All melee attacks against an Expert who has weapon in hand are at -1 DX. Does this penalty apply even to those attackers in the Expert's side and rear hexes?
IMHO, One can only go by what the rule says. All, to me means all. But, it is a GMed game, if you think there needs be limits go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P. View Post
Second - "Shrewd blow. An Expert may attack at -5DX and do an extra die of damage." Is this extra die of damage in addition to the +1 damage the Expert normally does with his weapon, or in place of the +1 damage?
IMHO, once again, I don't see anything to say it doesn't. We don't replace any other plus to damage when another die is added to the best of my knowledge. But, it is always going to be your call if you are the GM.
oldwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:49 PM   #4
Chris Rice

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwolf View Post
IMHO, One can only go by what the rule says. All, to me means all. But, it is a GMed game, if you think there needs be limits go for it.

IMHO, once again, I don't see anything to say it doesn't. We don't replace any other plus to damage when another die is added to the best of my knowledge. But, it is always going to be your call if you are the GM.
I see it this way also.
Chris Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 12:27 AM   #5
Skarg

I take it as -1 to hit (and the extra Defend die) from the front only, because I think that makes the most sense.

I read it as total + 1d+1 for a shrewd attack, combining both effects, because the wording seems to say that to me.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote