Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 04-09-2019, 04:33 PM   #11
Skarg

Default Re: Pat Hidy Response

Robert Phillips is listed as doing the illustrations in original ITL/AM/AW (and Orb Quest cover). He did an amazing job, and the style fits with the Pat Hidy illustrations really well.

The illustrations credit for original Death Test 2 is listed as Roger Beasley (and you can see it signed on the interior illustrations), who also did a good job though it tends to be a bit more stylized. I'm not clear if he or Hidy or someone else did the DT2 counter art, apart from the pike ax guy who matches Beasley's interior illustration, so my guess is those counters are Beasley.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 04:51 PM   #12
mark hill

those reptile men from orbquest are a good match for the ones in the rules pics, they are also my model for what reptile men counters should look like .. clearly evolved dinosaur men from some other earth

the orcs in the interior pics have a kinda american indian crossed with mongol warrior style, especially the hat on that crossbow guy in the rules (you know the guy), but their hands are massive compared to a regular human, about twice as big .. theres an orc counter from grailquest (I think) with a pikeaxe, same style same hat .. theyre my model for TFT orcs, I much prefer them to say, WH big green monsters 'orks' .. TFT orcs are really a kind of human, 'piltdown man' as the old rules say

the piltdown man was a hoax ancient man .. apparently some victorian era priest took a human skull and a chimp jawbone, and wedded them with a bit of judicious filing work, then made them appear old via a wash of iron oxide .. or NOT, that was all just a mnoren cover story to keep the humans of this earth in the dark, am I right? so as of about a century ago, the mnoren were still secretly monitoring this earth, if they are still not today :)

as it is the Illuminati are already watching the SJG sites for ppl saying/knowing too much, and whod believe a bunch of gamers anyhoo lol

Last edited by mark hill; 04-09-2019 at 04:58 PM.
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 05:25 PM   #13
Skarg

Yeah, a complete old-TFT art credit list would be nice to have. Some of the microquests have art from more than one person, and have a credit for "Graphics" which I don't know if that's the counters or the maps and tables.

Some have a mix of artists. e.g. There are Hidy goblin and halberdier pics repeated from DT 1 in Orb Quest, but I think the reptile man, gargoyle, and octopus in the Orb Quest book look like Phillips' art (comparing the way the scale effects are drawn to ITL/AM/AW art). Etc.

Oh, and yeah I love the ITL/AM/AW orc art and that's how I see Cidri orcs too.
Old 04-09-2019, 05:46 PM   #14
Senturian

I'd love to see more art like old ITL pages 17 and 53, my vision of what a Dragon would look like. (28 hex)
Senturian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 07:15 PM   #15
mark hill

I have drawn dragons in that style, but it looks like thats the least needful counter right now, dragons are pretty well covered .. maybe a 2 hex dragon if there isnt one?

but Ive been drawing 'bandit scum' and some tigers and lions and stuff .. some 3 hex top view horses with saddles also, as that is really the only barrier for most players to do cavalry actions, different breeds (ie palamino, spotted, black etc), at least one 'bareback' for barbarian riders, and probably at least one in heavy barding. If I put up a sheet of those in the new size, players can do multiple copies to make whatever cavalry they might need

are horses 3 hex these days? (Im guessing yes, but its a guess, the old 2 hex ones were silly/not useful in my opinion)

also a 2 hex mule with heavy packages on back, BOUND to be a very handy critter for many groups (possibly also a mule in barding .. erm "dwarven warhorse" lol)

Last edited by mark hill; 04-09-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:07 PM   #16
Skarg

TFT horses are two (4-foot) hexes, as always.

GURPS horses are three (3-foot) hexes.

Our TFT parties often ended up with wagons.
Old 04-09-2019, 09:57 PM   #17
JLV

I've said before that I think a few wagon counters (and horses/mules/oxen to pull them) would be great for a caravan attack scenario. Likewise a few camel counters (or even a few elephant ones for more exotic locales) would be great for desert caravan ambushes and the like.
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:11 PM   #18
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles G. View Post
Elephants? How about Oliphants ridden by Haradrim! For those into LoTR, anyway...
Since the example given is a ten-hex creature, I think it would probably qualify for anything you wanted! ;-) Certainly it would be fun to put some archers or slingers on it and see how well Legolas actually does...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 11:56 PM   #19
Skarg

The Peter Jackson version of Oliphants seem to have 3-hex feet, and five or six platforms, including a double-decker one, each holding a half-dozen or so orcs. So... rather more than a 10-hex counter would be needed. Maybe an entire Melee map could be the counter.
Old 04-10-2019, 12:10 AM   #20
mark hill

plus Legolas would be a match for many characters in superhero comics, hes WAAAY outta scale with TFT elves .. DX 60 or so Id say, and the other stats arent small

ok 2 hex horses then .. (I liked 3 hex GURPS horses better, the rider is in the middle of the horse .. plus its easier to cram 2 ppl on a horse)

bugger me I cant wait to get a copy of these rules!!!

Ill try a 10 hex elephant with a palanquin and a camel .. we'll see

along the top of the elephant its probably not silly to have 3 'marked out' hexes .. one for the driver sitting on the neck, 2 in the palanquin? thoughts?

Last edited by mark hill; 04-10-2019 at 12:27 AM.