Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip > The Fantasy Trip: House Rules

Old 04-23-2019, 03:19 AM   #31
FireHorse

Default Re: Ritual spells

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hill View Post
any physics nerds out there wanna adjust my conclusions? please do .. my hunch bone is telling me Im not terribly wrong .. however, cant stress this enuf .. << not a scientist
Surface gravity is not solely a product of the planet's mass, but of the surface's distance from the center of the planet — the former gets divided by the square of the latter.* So it's entirely possible to have a planet of any size with the same surface gravity as Earth.

I'm not quite enough of a Physics Nerd to bother running any specific numbers though, because it's not necessarily even relevant. Because Magic. ;)

* Incidentally, this is why the surface gravity (at the cloud tops, since there's no real surface) on Jupiter is only ~2.5g, even though it has nearly 318 times the mass — and about 120 times the surface area.

Last edited by FireHorse; 04-23-2019 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Added a Factoid
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:30 AM   #32
mark hill

sure magic .. but magic might get accidently removed or something. And enchanting such a big object is possibly just too high a ST even for Mnoren. Also, EVERYTHING would detect as magic, making the spell worthless.

Better to just engineer a monomolecular structure that gives 1 G at the surface isnt it?

Last edited by mark hill; 04-23-2019 at 08:39 AM.
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #33
TippetsTX

Getting back on topic now... another cost that I have considered for truly powerful ritual spells (none that exist in the current rules, however) is the permanent sacrifice of certain number of attribute points.

Last edited by TippetsTX; 04-23-2019 at 08:59 AM.
TippetsTX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:41 AM   #34
FireHorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark hill View Post
Better to just engineer a monomolecular object that gives 1 G at the surface isnt it?
Maybe…

But given the Official claim that "Cidri is big enough to hold thousands of Earths" (italics added), you need thousands of times the surface area — and it is absolutely impossible for a planet that large to have 1g while still obeying the Laws of Physics.

Ergo, Magic. :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by TippetsTX View Post
Getting back on topic now... another cost that I have considered for truly powerful ritual spells (none that exist in the current rules, however) is the permanent sacrifice of certan number of attribute points.
If that were the cost, very few people would ever bother. I know I'd never do it.

Afterthought: Well, not for anything short of stopping Armageddon. (Or perhaps causing it, if I'm evil.)

Last edited by FireHorse; 04-23-2019 at 08:48 AM. Reason: Afterthought
FireHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 08:42 AM   #35
mark hill

Not if the center of the sphere is 99% vacuum
mark hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 09:05 AM   #36
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHorse View Post
If that were the cost, very few people would ever bother. I know I'd never do it.

Afterthought: Well, not for anything short of stopping Armageddon. (Or perhaps causing it, if I'm evil.)
That is exactly the scenario I am envisioning.
;)
Old 04-24-2019, 12:17 PM   #37
hcobb

Quote:
Getting back on topic now... another cost that I have considered for truly powerful ritual spells (none that exist in the current rules, however) is the permanent sacrifice of certain number of attribute points.
Some of the current spells are very powerful.

Consider if you had to provide a body to summon the demon into.

What if it had to be the caster's body?
Old 04-24-2019, 12:28 PM   #38
Skarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post

Sounds like an effective way to cut down on the use of Demons to conduct assassination missions and the like. Especially if the damage taken while the demon is in the body apply to the caster's body when the spell ends.
Skarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 01:04 PM   #39
TippetsTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcobb View Post

I'm actually running with an idea like this... that in order for demons to manifest physically on this plane, a host (willing or unwilling, they aren't picky) is required.
Old 04-24-2019, 03:27 PM   #40
Sinanju

Quote:
I'm actually running with an idea like this... that in order for demons to manifest physically on this plane, a host (willing or unwilling, they aren't picky) is required.
I played a TFT game (long, long ago) in which you could summon demons into statues crafted specifically for that purpose.
Sinanju is offline   Reply With Quote