Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars > Car Wars Old Editions

Old 12-04-2022, 11:24 PM   #1
sazzlefrats

Default What happens with Offroad Car and a trailer

From what I can see, a trailer can not have modified suspension.

1.How would you handle going off road?

2.Do OR tires on the car help if the trailer just has standard.

3. If the whole set up weighs 8000lbs.. does that work for DM2?
sazzlefrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:52 AM   #2
swordtart

Default Re: What happens with Offroad Car and a trailer

1. Just take a left turn at Albuquerque :) As the trailer doesn't steer it doesn't contribute to the HC so it's suspension is not usually relevant and therefore it doesn't influence the OR HC either. It doesn't explicitly say about the underbody damage rule for trailers so it's your choice. I'd rule they have high ground clearance like bikes do and so are immune to Off-Road underbody armour.

Of course if you feel strongly about it you could easily read across from the car rules and cost up trailer suspension mods as well, and require them to match the towing vehicle if the suspension benefit is to be received.

2. ADQ&A has ruled in other cases that wheel accessories have to be applied on trailers as well for the effect (possibly paralleling sidecars). 10-3 addresses HD Brakes, 5-4 addressed HD Shocks, HD Brakes and Antilock Brakes.

HD and Antilock Brakes are logical as trailers IRL do have them.
HD shocks ditto, if your trailer is bouncing around it will mess up the vehicle attached to it.
OR tires, if your trailer is sliding around due to it being off-road then it will pull the towing vehicle about, undermining the benefit of OR on the tractor vehicle, double so if the wheels are powered.
For trailer wheels to require Overdrive or HTM it would assume that the trailer wheels are also powered (but this is by no means impossible). I thought this had come up in ADQ&Q but it may have been the OR
Active suspension is not a wheel modification and as trailer have no particular suspension I'd argue you don't need it to match the towing vehicle.

So in the vast majority of cases for wheel/tire modifications it makes sense and it is simpler to make it every case rather than try to list the exceptions (and the exceptions to the exceptions that will inevitable arise).

Regardless you will probably want OR tires anyway as otherwise the trailer will be taking tire damage that your towing vehicle is immune to.

3. The momentum of a rig is the sum of the tractor and trailer and that is the approach taken for the DM of a vehicle + trailer combo (ADQ&A 6-3).
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 09:43 AM   #3
sazzlefrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by swordtart View Post
1. Just take a left turn at Albuquerque :) As the trailer doesn't steer it doesn't contribute to the HC so it's suspension is not usually relevant and therefore it doesn't influence the OR HC either. It doesn't explicitly say about the underbody damage rule for trailers so it's your choice. I'd rule they have high ground clearance like bikes do and so are immune to Off-Road underbody armour.

Of course if you feel strongly about it you could easily read across from the car rules and cost up trailer suspension mods as well, and require them to match the towing vehicle if the suspension benefit is to be received.

2. ADQ&A has ruled in other cases that wheel accessories have to be applied on trailers as well for the effect (possibly paralleling sidecars). 10-3 addresses HD Brakes, 5-4 addressed HD Shocks, HD Brakes and Antilock Brakes.

HD and Antilock Brakes are logical as trailers IRL do have them.
HD shocks ditto, if your trailer is bouncing around it will mess up the vehicle attached to it.
OR tires, if your trailer is sliding around due to it being off-road then it will pull the towing vehicle about, undermining the benefit of OR on the tractor vehicle, double so if the wheels are powered.
For trailer wheels to require Overdrive or HTM it would assume that the trailer wheels are also powered (but this is by no means impossible). I thought this had come up in ADQ&Q but it may have been the OR
Active suspension is not a wheel modification and as trailer have no particular suspension I'd argue you don't need it to match the towing vehicle.

So in the vast majority of cases for wheel/tire modifications it makes sense and it is simpler to make it every case rather than try to list the exceptions (and the exceptions to the exceptions that will inevitable arise).

Regardless you will probably want OR tires anyway as otherwise the trailer will be taking tire damage that your towing vehicle is immune to.

3. The momentum of a rig is the sum of the tractor and trailer and that is the approach taken for the DM of a vehicle + trailer combo (ADQ&A 6-3).
#1. I don't have any of the FAQs. Are you saying if I want ABS the trailer must buy it too?
#2. So are OR tires required for the trailer for the subcompact to get the +1 HC offroad for having OR tires?
#3... the situation is a subcompact with a huge gas motor and a trailer weighing 6k, total weight exactly 8000lbs. Just trying to wrap my head around if from any angle it gets rammed that the DM2 applies to the rammer.
sazzlefrats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 10:25 AM   #4
swordtart

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzlefrats View Post
#1. I don't have any of the FAQs. Are you saying if I want ABS the trailer must buy it too?
#2. So are OR tires required for the trailer for the subcompact to get the +1 HC offroad for having OR tires?
#3... the situation is a subcompact with a huge gas motor and a trailer weighing 6k, total weight exactly 8000lbs. Just trying to wrap my head around if from any angle it gets rammed that the DM2 applies to the rammer.
The FAQs don't cover trailers at all (other than saying you can't have one)

ADQ&A is a little more informative.
1. Specifically if you have any of the following on your vehicle you need them on all wheels including the trailer to benefit from them: ABS, HD Brakes, HD Shocks. This has been formally stated in the ADQ&As cited.

2. I do not believe this question was specifically asked anywhere for it to be officially answered. However, even though trailers suspensions do not usually contribute to HC CWC 2.5 p77 states "A trailer with unmatched tires subtracts 1 from the towing vehicle’s HC." so they can still affect it. Now you could also read this as all tires on the vehicle and trailer combo rather than just on the trailer itself. I would tend to presume that therefore tires should match if you are trying to get a benefit, but it's a grey area. For your example it is only a 50% increase (presuming you have 2 tires on the trailer) - don't be cheap :)

3. CWC 2.5 p16 states "A tractor-trailer rig weighing 62,000 lbs., has a DM of 15". CWC 2.5 p22 states "When a vehicle/trailer combination is in a head-on or rear-end collision, use the combined weight of the towing vehicle and trailer when determining damage. If a vehicle/trailer combination is hit from the side, use the weight of the part (either vehicle or trailer) that was hit to determine collision damage." Be aware though. that same DM is used when assessing the damage to the hitch and tongue if your vehicle + trailer combo changes speed as a result of the collision. Once you have destroyed the 1-3 DPs of the hitch, the rest goes to the towing vehicles back armour and of course the trailer is now loose. You don't need to be going that fast for a DM2 to turn you into two vehicles.

But 8000lb is still DM 1. It needs to be 8001lb to make DM 2.

Last edited by swordtart; 12-05-2022 at 10:54 AM.
swordtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2022, 02:16 PM   #5
43Supporter

I think _CW Tanks_ had a cost for semi-tractors and -trailers with OR Suspension; I'd have to check my copy, tho', and I'm on the wrong computer right now.

79er

The Jeremy Clarkson Debate Course:
1) I'm Right. 2) You're Wrong. 3) The End.
43Supporter is offline   Reply With Quote